ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting tidbit from

wbrpanther

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Capel’s pre game. Said Jeffress hasn’t indicated that he is not coming back next year. Said he wanted to walk with the seniors since he graduated in December.

He is like a forever freshman to me. Still think of him as a guy that will “hopefully develop next year”,

But suddenly he is a college graduate.

While that time never came, I’d still welcome him back. Can provide some glue plays (defense, boards) that a good team needs.

I like Wil , but for Pitt to get to the next level they need better players .

Yeah, the warm and fuzzy sentiments are kind of silly to me. People seriously want him back, as opposed to pursuing the 95% chance that we land a better player in his spot? No thanks on that one.

He is like a forever freshman to me. Still think of him as a guy that will “hopefully develop next year”,

But suddenly he is a college graduate.

While that time never came, I’d still welcome him back. Can provide some glue plays (defense, boards) that a good team needs.
His schollie is more valuable open

Will should pursue what he's prepared to do...be a doctor. This basketball stuff is a nice diversion, but it's time for him to do something important that helps others.

If he is your 5th man, you are probably in trouble. If he is your 8th or 9th, he can fill in some gaps from time to time. I think the latter is true even on a really good team.
I was hoping this year he could come in and be strong on the boards and score a few buckets from midrange and have a few put backs . Well that didn’t happen, but he played some good D . Time to go to med school if that’s in the cards and dominate and intermural‘s .

Yeah, the warm and fuzzy sentiments are kind of silly to me. People seriously want him back, as opposed to pursuing the 95% chance that we land a better player in his spot? No thanks on that one.
In the age of free agency, you are unlikely to get a better player that will come here to be the 8th man.

Reactions: NCPitt
He shouldn't be the 8th man. He's the 8th man because we only have 8 men. It honestly shouldn't be tough to play ten guys who are more talented.
So he becomes the 11th man if he's willing. There are 13 scholarships and we aren't getting 13 players that can help like he can. If he wants to come back, he's on the team. Its that simple.

So he becomes the 11th man if he's willing. There are 13 scholarships and we aren't getting 13 players that can help like he can. If he wants to come back, he's on the team. Its that simple.

Jorge is a deep bench guy. Barnes, if he returns, is a dep bench guy. Ndiaye is redshirting, most likely. How do you expect to get better if you run it back with the same team, minus Hinson (and maybe Bub)? In what warped reality is that a good idea?

Jorge is a deep bench guy. Barnes, if he returns, is a dep bench guy. Ndiaye is redshirting, most likely. How do you expect to get better if you run it back with the same team, minus Hinson (and maybe Bub)? In what warped reality is that a good idea?

You cant have Jeffress, Jorge, Barnes, and Ndiaye ALL on the roster. Automatically, that's 4 guys who wont contribute offensively. This leaves no margin for erroe for your other 9. Injuries happen. What if Cummings isnt quite ready? What if Papa isnt that good? What if we our portal guys are misses? I'd keep Jorge, maybe Jeffress and tell Barnes and Ndiaye they have to go play for RMU and maybe see them in a few years.

You cant have Jeffress, Jorge, Barnes, and Ndiaye ALL on the roster. Automatically, that's 4 guys who wont contribute offensively. This leaves no margin for erroe for your other 9. Injuries happen. What if Cummings isnt quite ready? What if Papa isnt that good? What if we our portal guys are misses? I'd keep Jorge, maybe Jeffress and tell Barnes and Ndiaye they have to go play for RMU and maybe see them in a few years.

Jeffres is gone. Capel isn't that stupid.

Will is a great defender. If he's willing to stay as a practice body to help strengthen Barnes, DG, and Kante as a locker room buoy, so be it.

Reactions: NCPitt
Will is a great defender. If he's willing to stay as a practice body to help strengthen Barnes, DG, and Kante as a locker room buoy, so be it.

And there are other great defenders to put had in the portal. Even some who can put the ball in the hoop more than once in blue moon. If Kante is the defender Vader has talked him up to be, that makes Jeffres even less valuable to this team.

And there are other great defenders to put had in the portal. Even some who can put the ball in the hoop more than once in blue moon. If Kante is the defender Vader has talked him up to be, that makes Jeffres even less valuable to this team.
And these great defenders who can score would be willing to come here and be the 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th man?

What fantasy world do you live in?

Reactions: Fredact
And these great defenders who can score would be willing to come here and be the 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th man?

What fantasy world do you live in?

If they can get a great defender who can score that guy would not be the 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th man.

Which is kind of the whole point.

Exactly the point.

Exactly the point.
There’s no way JC shows him the door if Wil wants to continue playing for Pitt . It‘s really is a function of what Wil wants to do educationally .

There are plenty of smaller schools where he’d get more PT if that’s what’s important to him .

I think I heard Hillgrove mention on the post game show that Jeffrey’s is going to medical school. Well, would better med school to go to than Pitt?
Nothing personal against him, but I’ve never seen a division one player who has the ability to not score like he does.

I was hoping this year he could come in and be strong on the boards and score a few buckets from midrange and have a few put backs . Well that didn’t happen, but he played some good D . Time to go to med school if that’s in the cards and dominate and intermural‘s .
Nice kid but overmatched at the P5 level. Good luck to him in Med. School.

If they can get a great defender who can score that guy would not be the 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th man.

Which is kind of the whole point.
So someone currently in the top 7 (let's include Cummings) would be pushed down to 8-11. Are they willing to do that without becoming a locker room problem? We know that Will is not a problem in that role.

So someone currently in the top 7 (let's include Cummings) would be pushed down to 8-11. Are they willing to do that without becoming a locker room problem? We know that Will is not a problem in that role.

Do you think every team has 7 guys who can play and then has to go down to Uncoordinated Bums R Us to fill out the rest of their roster? Where would everyone be if we had Dior, Kante, and Jorge this season? Cause that was the plan.

Do you think every team has 7 guys who can play and then has to go down to Uncoordinated Bums R Us to fill out the rest of their roster? Where would everyone be if we had Dior, Kante, and Jorge this season? Cause that was the plan.
Of course not. Did you even read my posts? If you did (and understood them), you would know that I don't think that.

I stated that replacing Will with better players could cause him to slide to the 10th player rather than the 8th. Get even more and he could slide to 13 - if he wants that, as I also stated. My point was that your aren't going to get 13 players better than him, as I also said.

Do you really think that there's that much difference on most teams between being the seventh man in the rotation or the eighth? Or the eighth to the ninth?

Do you really think that there's that much difference on most teams between being the seventh man in the rotation or the eighth? Or the eighth to the ninth?
I do since Capel seems to like a 7 or 8-man rotation, as do many coaches.

I do since Capel seems to like a 7 or 8-man rotation, as do many coaches.

I don't think he likes a seven man rotation at all. I think he's frequently playing a seven man rotation because the eighth man in the rotation isn't any good right now. I think he would love to be playing at least eight, and more likely nine, if he thought that he had eight or nine who could play.

Reactions: Franb
I don't think he likes a seven man rotation at all. I think he's frequently playing a seven man rotation because the eighth man in the rotation isn't any good right now. I think he would love to be playing at least eight, and more likely nine, if he thought that he had eight or nine who could play.
So a player dropping from in the rotation would be effected even in your world, which is my entire point.

So a player dropping from in the rotation would be effected even in your world, which is my entire point.

We are playing, for the most part, seven. If we had an eighth who was good enough we'd be playing eight. The eighth guy who could play doesn't drop anyone from the rotation. Unless you are talking about the guy who since the first of the year has more games, twice as many in fact, with five minutes or less than with ten minutes or more, and who has only played ten or more once in the last nine games.

The player in question has already been dropped from the rotation. You just haven't noticed, apparently.

Maybe he wants to go to grad school at a low major where he could play more minutes for fun? I doubt he's thinking he's going to be a pro anywhere.

We are playing, for the most part, seven. If we had an eighth who was good enough we'd be playing eight. The eighth guy who could play doesn't drop anyone from the rotation. Unless you are talking about the guy who since the first of the year has more games, twice as many in fact, with five minutes or less than with ten minutes or more, and who has only played ten or more once in the last nine games.

The player in question has already been dropped from the rotation. You just haven't noticed, apparently.
You apparently missed the point ... as usual.

Please explain how your last post contradicts my point.

You said "so a player dropping from in the rotation would be effected even in your world, which is my entire point."

I said, and have said, and will say again, really slowly this time so that maybe you can understand it, the player has already been dropped from the rotation. If they had another good player right now it wouldn't drop Jeffress from the rotation, because he's already been dropped. He now basically plays only when it is absolutely necessary.

Bringing in someone who is better than him doesn't drop him from a rotation he's already been dropped from. We have a seven player rotation with him here. We could easily have an eight or even a nine player rotation, like Jeff Capel prefers, and it wouldn't change Jeffress' role by any appreciable amount.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT