ADVERTISEMENT

Is the record for the last 10 games

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
still a factor when the committee selects its "at large" teams? And if so, how much of a factor is it, for those teams in the 7-12 seeding category/bubble teams?

Right now, our record for the last 10 games stands at 4-6. With three games remaining (not counting the ACCT), we could be anywhere from 3-7 (with three losses) to 6-4 (with three wins). Certainly, the 3 win scenario gets us into the NCAAT without exception. 2 wins, too, should be no worse than a play-in game at Dayton if we were to lose the first game in the ACCT. 1 win - even if it's against Duke - may not get us in. We would have to win one game at the minimum in D.C.

Let's not have a repeat of 2015 . . .

still a factor when the committee selects its "at large" teams? And if so, how much of a factor is it, for those teams in the 7-12 seeding category/bubble teams?

Right now, our record for the last 10 games stands at 4-6. With three games remaining (not counting the ACCT), we could be anywhere from 3-7 (with three losses) to 6-4 (with three wins). Certainly, the 3 win scenario gets us into the NCAAT without exception. 2 wins, too, should be no worse than a play-in game at Dayton if we were to lose the first game in the ACCT. 1 win - even if it's against Duke - may not get us in. We would have to win one game at the minimum in D.C.

Let's not have a repeat of 2015 . . .

The committee "says" it is no longer a factor.

I don't think it actually is. It used to appear on the team sheets. It doesn't any more. Of course that doesn't mean that someone can't sit there and count back ten games and figure it out, but why would they? I'm sure people will notice if someone is particularly hot or cold at the end of the season, but most mid-seed / bubble teams are going to be in the messy middle of 6-4, 5-5, 4-6. Because that's what they are.

I don't think it actually is. It used to appear on the team sheets. It doesn't any more. Of course that doesn't mean that someone can't sit there and count back ten games and figure it out, but why would they? I'm sure people will notice if someone is particularly hot or cold at the end of the season, but most mid-seed / bubble teams are going to be in the messy middle of 6-4, 5-5, 4-6. Because that's what they are.

That was kind of my thought, too Joe, when I posted this. Most if not all of the 7-12 seeds are going to have a last 10 game record of somewhere between .400 and .600 as their percentage. I'd much rather see our Panthers at no worse than .500, so no one from the "committee" can look at us more unfavorably. Still thinking we can't go any worse than 3-2 over the next 5 (including the ACCT) if we want to "lock in" our spot; 2-3 if we want a play-in game. Anything below that and we are going to be sweating it out, but a 1-3 or 1-4 finish is not going to cut it, IMO.

That was kind of my thought, too Joe, when I posted this. Most if not all of the 7-12 seeds are going to have a last 10 game record of somewhere between .400 and .600 as their percentage. I'd much rather see our Panthers at no worse than .500, so no one from the "committee" can look at us more unfavorably. Still thinking we can't go any worse than 3-2 over the next 5 (including the ACCT) if we want to "lock in" our spot; 2-3 if we want a play-in game. Anything below that and we are going to be sweating it out, but a 1-3 or 1-4 finish is not going to cut it, IMO.
To some extent, every committee is different, based probably on the personal make-up and biases of the members.

There is endless analysis and speculation on who they are going to select and why, but we still always have some head-scratchers in the field or left out. Some years they follow RPI religiously. Some years they seem to ignore it. OOC, SOS, Top 50 wins, Top 100 wins, bad losses, ALL have seemed important one year but irrelevant another.

Sometimes they pack the field with "big" schools, some years it's more mid-majors. Mostly, about 55 or 60 schools are easy but the last 6 or 8 cause all the arguments.

Given our OOC, I'd feel certain woth 3 wins and possible with 2. One might do it, if it's Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT