ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the greatest singular play in Pitt football history?

Yes, when factoring in significance.

Difference discussion if we're factoring in the actual physical feat of the play. Have to imagine Aaron Donald tackling the entire backfield would be among the finalists for that.

Reactions: xslfyk4
I would say yes. For one play, I can't think of another one that comes close.

Yep...can't think of any others. Maybe Revis' punt return but it was a different stage.

While i dont disagree with Marino to Brown, how about Dorsett's first play from scrimmage in South Bend?

Or...Dorsett's run against Navy for the record?

On a lesser scale, Scott McKillop stopping WVU late in the 13-9 game

Or.....Chris Blewitt to beat Clemson?

But Marino to Brown is tough to argue

While i dont disagree with Marino to Brown, how about Dorsett's first play from scrimmage in South Bend?

Billy Owens game clinching interception td against PSU just as they were setting up for a tie/win was up there too...

If you're just talking about how great a play it was, it's hard to top Darelle Revis breaking 32 tackles on that punt return against the Hoopies.
I believe it was Derek Kinder's block taking out two mountaineers that gave him the edge that started that fantastic return. You don't see many blocks kill two birds with only one stone!

Honorable Mention to:

Palko trucking that Boston College defender. Imo it didn't just change the course of not just that game but that season.

Also:

Palko to Eric Gill @ ND which lead to the best post game interview ever.

Loved the whole day- Soldiers and Sailors was the most packed giant tailgate party I’ve ever experienced.

We ran out of beer too early but called Mellingers and they did a drop off of another Keg along Bigelow.
Loved Melingers. Joe and Patsy were the best. Patsy passed away about 20 years ago. His wife ended up running the business until just a few years ago. Not sure what happened to Joe. He sold to Patsy around the time I graduated. Funny story - was with my girlfriend (now my wife) and a few friends at a micro brewery festival at Sandcastle in the mid 90's. Saw Joe. He remembered me and gave me a big hug then gave me a HUGE roll of tickets for beer samples (he worked for Frank Fuhrer Wholesale beer distributor at that point). After we walked away my buddy said "you know, not one professor at Pitt remembers you." :)

Loved Melingers. Joe and Patsy were the best. Patsy passed away about 20 years ago. His wife ended up running the business until just a few years ago. Not sure what happened to Joe. He sold to Patsy around the time I graduated. Funny story - was with my girlfriend (now my wife) and a few friends at a micro brewery festival at Sandcastle in the mid 90's. Saw Joe. He remembered me and gave me a big hug then gave me a HUGE roll of tickets for beer samples (he worked for Frank Fuhrer Wholesale beer distributor at that point). After we walked away my buddy said "you know, not one professor at Pitt remembers you." :)
That's likely one of the very best quotes I've ever heard in regards to a college student!

I know I was also at the same beer tasting at Sandcastle. If I look long enough, I'm sure I can dig up the tasting glass.

i'd love to hear some other great plays. hard to top this one at the sugar bowl but what are some other great/memorable plays?

again, not on same level but some that jump out:

Brandon Miree breakaway run against Va tech in early 2000's.
Dennis intercepting a shuffle pass against clemson and returning it for a TD
Rutherford TD catch against PSU at three rivers

Reactions: joeydavid

Rod Rutherford's catch and run against pedst. To me, that marked Pitt's return to competitive football.

i'd love to hear some other great plays. hard to top this one at the sugar bowl but what are some other great/memorable plays?

Ollison's vtech run fits here too.

Ollison's vtech run fits here too.
i was there and freakin left early. lol. was with kids and nieces, they were cold, left early and missed it.. what a jerk i am.

doesnt beat my neighbor though, he was a teenager at the immaculate reception game and left early with his buddy to get on the trolley lol. Ouch. I told him, "Dude, dont even tell people that, just lie and say you were there."

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid

Lousaka Polite's TD to win the game against VaTech in 2003 was a huge moment.

And while it wasn't the game winner, it did ice the game - Kevin Barlow's TD against Notre Dame in the waning minutes of the last game at Pitt Stadium. Unforgettable. The tears started flowing at that point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT