ADVERTISEMENT

ISU (-4)…

The only reason ISU is -4 is because no one respects the ACC vs. any other conference. It's all based on perception, not reality. I think we have a better chance of beating ISU than we did of beating MSU, especially if Fede is back. And we beat MSU without Fede and Burton was only in the game for short periods because of foul trouble. It's a good matchup for us. If Fede is back, I can see us winning this game by 8 or 10.

Reactions: Farnox and Drew1208
The only reason ISU is -4 is because no one respects the ACC vs. any other conference. It's all based on perception, not reality. I think we have a better chance of beating ISU than we did of beating MSU, especially if Fede is back. And we beat MSU without Fede and Burton was only in the game for short periods because of foul trouble. It's a good matchup for us. If Fede is back, I can see us winning this game by 8 or 10.

Both of Hinson's threes were pretty absurd and Nike also made one at the end of the shot clock that wasn't a great look, so I'm probably cherry picking here... but it felt like Elliot also left a lot of points on the floor, and then of course the free throw shooting offers room to improve - especially those front ends.

Yeah, I was shocked that they only took 19 threes. Missed FT’s were frustrating for a team that usually makes them versus the Dixon years when we knew they would miss. I have no issue with Iowa State being favored. They have some solid wins, but have struggled down the stretch aside from Baylor… If Fede plays, I also like their chances. Purely coincidentally, but Pitt was paired with MSU (Howland connection), ISU (Hinson), and Xavier (miller). I guess TCU would have been too much story telling and we all try to find patterns in things, but good discussion board material.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Yeah, I was shocked that they only took 19 threes. Missed FT’s were frustrating for a team that usually makes them versus the Dixon years when we knew they would miss. I have no issue with Iowa State being favored. They have some solid wins, but have struggled down the stretch aside from Baylor… If Fede plays, I also like their chances. Purely coincidentally, but Pitt was paired with MSU (Howland connection), ISU (Hinson), and Xavier (miller). I guess TCU would have been too much story telling and we all try to find patterns in things, but good discussion board material.

With the transfer portal being what it is, you'll probably be able to find a storyline in quite a few games now.

Reactions: Drew1208
Both of Hinson's threes were pretty absurd and Nike also made one at the end of the shot clock that wasn't a great look, so I'm probably cherry picking here... but it felt like Elliot also left a lot of points on the floor, and then of course the free throw shooting offers room to improve - especially those front ends.
And the worst 3-point shooting team in the tourney hit 4 of their first 5.

- ISU has lost 9 of its last 13.
- A starter who was one of their best shooters was dismissed from the team late in the season for "failing to meet program expectations."
- They have the #9 Kenpom adjusted D (Miss St. was #6).
- They are 327 in adjusted tempo (Miss St. was 336).
- They force turnovers at one of the highest rates in the nation, but they also turn the ball over a lot.
- They do not defend the 3 particularly well.
- They're a good, but not elite rebounding team. Miss St. was better.
- They've played one of the toughest schedules per Kenpom.
- The over/under is in the low 130s like it was for Miss St.

If your tickers can manage it, this has all the makings of another back and forth contest.

Last edited:
The reason Iowa State is -4 is because they’re a 6 seed playing a team that is an 11 seed who had to play their way in. It’s not some conspiracy

Yeah, I get that. I think they're overseeded and we're underseeded, even though we struggled against a mediocre MSU. But we were missing Fede and Burton was gone for much of the game. Their trend is down having lost 9 of their last 13 games. Ours isn't much better, though. I think they're closer to an 8 and we're closer to a 9. But that's just my opinion as a Pitt fan.

If we can rebound and shoot FT's better, we'll be fine.

but missed 16 of their next 18.

6-for-23 was exactly what we expected from them.... and got.
Right, but seeing them hit 4 of 5 early was as ridiculous as Hinson's shots.

You must admit! It seemed ridiculous at 1st, we lose our best defensive big, then the worst shooting team is hitting 80% of the 3s.

I kind of felt like MSU was kind of like a mediocre Dixon Pitt team, could defend and rebound and couldn't shoot well. and played 60-59 games.

Last edited:
It seems to be a bit of a mystery, but what are the details surrounding Hinson leaving Iowa State? Has he ever commented in detail on it?

Is this assuming Fede is still out? Hope Cummings ankle is ok too.
Since Fede was too injured to even get minor minutes last night, I can’t see him improving enough in 2 days to play Friday. Hope I am wrong.

It seems to be a bit of a mystery, but what are the details surrounding Hinson leaving Iowa State? Has he ever commented in detail on it?
According to the article I read, he transferred there the covid year, and did not play that year. Then the next year the coach who recruited him was no longer there. The new coach called all the individual players in to discuss what role each would play that coming season.

That was on a Thursday. On Friday Blake told the coach he was transferring. My guess is that Hinson didn't like the role the coach had for him (have no idea how he felt about the coach).

There was also a rumor that the coach was thinking of playing Blake at center.

Regardless of what happened, Pitt got lucky, Hinson is here, and it makes me happy.

I posted another thread with a link to the Des Moines Register. I think it will have a lot of the info you want, and you can draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: GaryMcgheeForThree
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT