ADVERTISEMENT

It has been decided here....

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
... that Stallings is officially the worst Pitt basketball coach never to have coached a game at Pitt.....

Nah...just a downgrade in every metric. We've had worse coaches, for sure.

Let's put it in perspective... Stalling took over Vandy- a bad program, the same season that Howland/Dixon took over Pitt- which was hitting rock bottom as a program.

In that time Stalling made 7 Big Dances and 2 Sweet 16s.(last one a decade ago).
During that time span, Pitt made 13 Big Dances, 5 Sweet 16s, and an Elite 8.

Maybe the change of scenery will energize the old curmudgeon to achieve more success than he's had? But to sell this as anything other than a step back is being disingenuous.
A step back with a younger Mid-major coach would likewise be a step back..but, then you can sell Hope and a Higher ceiling, rather thank a known commodity who's ceiling is lower than the current expectations for the program.

Nah...just a downgrade in every metric. We've had worse coaches, for sure.

Let's put it in perspective... Stalling took over Vandy- a bad program, the same season that Howland/Dixon took over Pitt- which was hitting rock bottom as a program.

In that time Stalling made 7 Big Dances and 2 Sweet 16s.(last one a decade ago).
During that time span, Pitt made 13 Big Dances, 5 Sweet 16s, and an Elite 8.

Maybe the change of scenery will energize the old curmudgeon to achieve more success than he's had? But to sell this as anything other than a step back is being disingenuous.
A step back with a younger Mid-major coach would likewise be a step back..but, then you can sell Hope and a Higher ceiling, rather thank a known commodity who's ceiling is lower than the current expectations for the program.
" We've had worse coaches, for sure."...did not imply that ... all I said as this guy it the worst to have never coached a game yet...quite fascinating how the foretellers of the future at this locale are able to extrapolate lack of success at Vanderbilt in the past and apply it, with such certainty, with lack of success at Pitt going forward.....give the dude a chance

Reactions: playtowin1
The problem isn't that Stalling is a horrible coach. He isn't. He's just proven to be slightly below average. He has no upside. NO final four potential. This program doesn't need a mediocre stabilizer. That's what a school like BC or Wake need. We needed someone who might capitalize on the prestige JD accumulated here and catapult us to another level.

He's not a horrible coach. He is a horrible, horrible fit.

" We've had worse coaches, for sure."...did not imply that ... all I said as this guy it the worst to have never coached a game yet...

He's also the best HC to never coach a game? I have no idea what your point is. That's really silly. Also, shortest/tallest, fattest/fittest, any other adjective you can Madlib.

I do not like the hire, and hate how this search was conducted BUT I am willing to see who he hires for his staff and who is on the roster before making a projection.

" We've had worse coaches, for sure."...did not imply that ... all I said as this guy it the worst to have never coached a game yet...quite fascinating how the foretellers of the future at this locale are able to extrapolate lack of success at Vanderbilt in the past and apply it, with such certainty, with lack of success at Pitt going forward.....give the dude a chance
Okay, fair enough.

A coaching change should reflect an improvement over what was here before. You've read the negatives. Now please provide a factual explanation as to why Stallings is an improvement over what we had with Jamie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT