ADVERTISEMENT

It seems

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Our recruiting class is falling apart. We have also suffered significant graduation and early departure losses.

Maybe it is time to get whatever new coaches in place.

We need some big pickups from the portal. Long snappers, backup centers, subs at TE and CB aren't going to cut it.

Taking all of the above into consideration, we will need to over achieve next season in order to return to our level.

I hope the new coaches are up to the task.

Last edited:
Don't worry, 2 guys on offense that weigh 170 pounds each will change the whole dynamic of the team .

Reactions: gary2
If Brewu and Marcelin decommit, we're down near #50.

Seems like some teams we've taken for granted as being ahead of for a long time now and starting to leapfrog us. I really wish we weren't as financially committed to Narduzzi as we are, because it's starting to at least look like a possibility than a change of scenery might be best for both parties in the next few seasons.

Frankly, I thought it would be worse. We were 3-9 last year and have an NIL collective that's spent the last 3 weeks trying to get their Million Dollar Mission from 650k over 700k. 50k over the last 3 or 4 weeks...

Would suck to lose Brewu because they'll need him as soon as he's ready to play.

And I wouldn't really pooh pooh the RB and WR from WCU. They know the offense and have been productive. They'll contribute immediately.
Well that's certainly an optimistic point of view. Just hope they last more than a couple games going against D1 competition week after week.

Our recruiting class is falling apart. We have also suffered significant graduation and early departure losses.

Maybe it is time to get whatever new coaches in place.

We need some big pickups from the portal. Long snappers, backup centers, subs at TE and CB aren't going to cut it.

Taking all of the above into consideration, we will need to over achieve next season in order to return to our level.

God knows the old ones weren't.

And I wouldn't really pooh pooh the RB and WR from WCU. They know the offense and have been productive. They'll contribute immediately.
They are quick, elusive athletes that can operate in space.

This is a different kind of offense, one that spreads the field and gets fast players the ball in space where they can make plays. This has been overdue at Pitt for a long time. Posters on this board need to change their mindset about what kinds of players are a 'fit". Don't be surprised , or discouraged, if the next starting QB is 6 feet tall.

Well that's certainly an optimistic point of view. Just hope they last more than a couple games going against D1 competition week after week.

Yeah, G5 to P5 is enough to warrant a healthy skepticism. FCS to P5... well, we'll see.

If I heard Syracuse was bringing in a 5'11" 170-pound receiver who went for 792 yards in the FCS and a 5'8" 170-pound running back who went for 897 yards... I'm sorry; that just wouldn't scare me. Not when Shocky went to a G5 school and caught 74 balls for 931 yards in a season.

Not saying it can't work out, but those heights and weights basically look exactly like why those guys went FCS.

They are quick, elusive athletes that can operate in space.

This is a different kind of offense, one that spreads the field and gets fast players the ball in space where they can make plays. This has been overdue at Pitt for a long time. Posters on this board need to change their mindset about what kinds of players are a 'fit". Don't be surprised , or discouraged, if the next starting QB is 6 feet tall.
Bingo - Elusiveness and speed can't be taught. You either have it or you don't. The best coaches use that to the team's advantage. I don't know about the rest of you, but we need playmakers in the mold of Kenny Johnson. These two guys might be able to do that.

We saw athletes like Derrick Davis and Che Nwabuko rotting on the bench because Cignetti didn't know what to do with them. I got sick and tired of watching Flemister hit the line scrimmage and go nowhere while Hammond watched from the bench. While Bartholomew got only a few targets and every QB not named Yarnell miss firing all over the place.

I'm willing to let the new OC do what he thinks will help the offense get points BEFORE I question his methods.

Frankly, I thought it would be worse. We were 3-9 last year and have an NIL collective that's spent the last 3 weeks trying to get their Million Dollar Mission from 650k over 700k. 50k over the last 3 or 4 weeks...

Would suck to lose Brewu because they'll need him as soon as he's ready to play.
This. With pretty much nil, teams will now see what they need to fill towards the end and offer some $$$$ to do so.

We can’t even hit our $1m goal for our collective.

Yeah, G5 to P5 is enough to warrant a healthy skepticism. FCS to P5... well, we'll see.

If I heard Syracuse was bringing in a 5'11" 170-pound receiver who went for 792 yards in the FCS and a 5'8" 170-pound running back who went for 897 yards... I'm sorry; that just wouldn't scare me. Not when Shocky went to a G5 school and caught 74 balls for 931 yards in a season.

Not saying it can't work out, but those heights and weights basically look exactly like why those guys went FCS.
And yet if the RB is here, he'll likely be more productive than Derrick Davis and the WR more so than several of our scholarship guys.

Nobody said they need to scare anyone. They need a lot of help, and it's not like Pitt's going to go out and steal the next Addison out of the portal.

I'll remind the OP that the WR is the same size as a guy he (and many others) originally loved in Jaylon Barden. The RB is the same size as Vincent Davis, who was easily our toughest RB while he was here.

Questioning the jump in competition is legit, but their size doesn't bother me at all.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I'll remind the OP that the WR is the same size as a guy he (and many others) originally loved in Jaylon Barden. The RB is the same size as Vincent Davis, who was easily our toughest RB while he was here.

Questioning the jump in competition is legit, but their size doesn't bother me at all.

When we start citing Vincent Davis as a success story, we're all in trouble.

Reactions: cashisking884
I liked Vincent Davis. He wasn't a feature back, but he did everything reasonably well. Was tough, always ready to go, and respected by his teammates. You need those guys.

Plus, he was also great for soundbites!

I don't mind bringing in a smaller back. It just better be in addition to an every down back for when Hammond inevitably gets hurt.

Carter... no thanks. Davis... heck no. Lloyd... eh, probably not. I'm hopeful for Goff, but he's still a true freshman.

And I don't think we have anyone even close to a #1 receiver, so I'm fine with bringing one of those in as well... but we better not be shutting down the receiving offers after that.

I have no doubt that both guys can be better than the worst scholarship player on our roster at their respective positions, but that doesn't get us anywhere. Hopefully they're at least running sub 4.5 40's, which would be a good start. Looks like the back at least is.

Reactions: cashisking884
When we start citing Vincent Davis as a success story, we're all in trouble.
And what were Dion’s measurables…or TD’s for that matter (before all that HOF crap he put together)… You can go on and on but it’s the scheme these days. Pitt can’t line up and knock the snot out of the guys across the line anymore. Teams Pitt plays are the same players Pitt has on its roster and in some cases - the exact same players. Scheme will matter. These guys may beome the next Darren Sproles or Deuce Vaughn who knows. Better weight training and nutrition you’d think at Pitt. We’ll see.😃

These are depth guys who know the system. They're not intended to be primary options. Mumpfield and Kenny Johnson will each get 20% of the passing offense. The RB will get 8 touches per game.

And what were Dion’s measurables…or TD’s for that matter (before all that HOF crap he put together)… You can go on and on but it’s the scheme these days. Pitt can’t line up and knock the snot out of the guys across the line anymore. Teams Pitt plays are the same players Pitt has on its roster and in some cases - the exact same players. Scheme will matter. These guys may beome the next Darren Sproles or Deuce Vaughn who knows. Better weight training and nutrition you’d think at Pitt. We’ll see.😃

I agree... we'll see. All I'm saying is I'm not considering this some slam dunk yet. Dion Lewis had a very thick frame that endured a pretty good stint in the NFL. He wasn't scrawny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT