ADVERTISEMENT

It wasn’t that long ago that picking up JUCOs was looked down upon

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
I know PITT had some success with Juco players in the past but it was never a path the administration was happy about. Now we are admitting players and not even caring about academics. It’s another sign how strange the college football world is becoming. I don’t see a path back to normalcy at this point.

i think it was Kansas state under snyder (might not be his name) in the late 90s that hit the JUCO Ranks hard and did it beautifully. they had some real good teams back then and a big reason was because of a bigtime influx of JUCO talent.

Sherrill did the same thing as Mississippi State in the ‘90s.

I don’t think JUCOs were ever looked down on per se. Lots of teams took them.

But there was a view that there were a greater than average amount of character issue players amongst JUCO guys. So if you took an large amount of them like KSU or MSU, you had to be taking a certain % of those players.

Reactions: pittdan77
I know PITT had some success with Juco players in the past but it was never a path the administration was happy about. Now we are admitting players and not even caring about academics. It’s another sign how strange the college football world is becoming. I don’t see a path back to normalcy at this point.
When in Rome.......

FCS is not Juco, juco is actually JUCO! LOL there is the njcaa and that is where Snyder would get his players from. So I am not seeing any players that are juco we just took? am I missing someone?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don’t follow it that closely. Just what I see on Twitter. What JUCOs has Pitt taken?

From the OP I was just assuming he’s referring to this year. Maybe I’m mistaken but if so it seems an odd post otherwise.

My wildish guess is he’s clueless and thinks Lee and Reid are JUCOs.
i've been racking my brain trying to think of JUCO transfers to pitt. wasnt there a DT about 15 years ago too?

how about Greg cross? I think he was from a community college, not a junior college. is there a difference? I seriously dont know..

i've been racking my brain trying to think of JUCO transfers to pitt. wasnt there a DT about 15 years ago too?

how about Greg cross? I think he was from a community college, not a junior college. is there a difference? I seriously dont know..
he was a juco.. good call!!! cc players are juco players, I am a sports weirdo and follow this all lol

Wasn't Jeff Otah a JUCO?

Not to mention that slapdick who went to PSU....then Last Chance U / Netflix...then Pitt where he washed out?

4 star DT ended up at Duquesne.

Wasted talent.

I am saying that Juco and lesser academic schools players are now filling the college ranks. Nothing against the Western Carolina players but are they truly PITT academic material?

Pitt recruited a juco qb from California in the ‘70s named Jenner iirc, but he was 3d string or so.
Scott Jenner

Btw,

Didnt Walt bring other WR's beside Brokenbough?

Jake Hoffart? Terry Murphy? I seem to recall a JUCO wide reciever under Walt?

Walt had some success early with Jucos. Qb John Turman and receiver Latef Grim come to mind over than those mentioned. Teams mainly west of the Mississippi made great use of Jucos before the portal kicked in.wasn’t Jake Hoffarth a Jucos as well.

I am saying that Juco and lesser academic schools players are now filling the college ranks. Nothing against the Western Carolina players but are they truly PITT academic material?
Very few football and basketball players who receive an athletic scholarship would be admitted on their academic merits. It's the same here as basically every other school in D-1 (and much of D-2), and that has been the case for decades.

What is your actual point, since it apparently has nothing to do with JUCO players at Pitt?

Very few football and basketball players who receive an athletic scholarship would be admitted on their academic merits. It's the same here as basically every other school in D-1 (and much of D-2), and that has been the case for decades.

What is your actual point, since it apparently has nothing to do with JUCO players at Pitt?
Not always academic but that's probably the case for most of these guys that are moving to D1. Sometimes it's a guy that's young or underdeveloped. You're hearing people say more and more to HS players to not discount JUCO's because the film is just as good so far as D1 coaches are concerned.

Wasn't Jeff Otah a JUCO?

Not to mention that slapdick who went to PSU....then Last Chance U / Netflix...then Pitt where he washed out?

4 star DT ended up at Duquesne.

Wasted talent.
yes, otah was a juco..Valley Forge guy.
I don’t think it is odd. It’s a slippery slope. If we begin to bring in less academic oriented students….do you think our program will turn into Miami sans the national championship? Quality of character means a lot.
I hope we find 80 assasins and win a natty, I do not care if they are good students, they are basically pro players now lol we have guys making more money than us playing now.

I don’t think it is odd. It’s a slippery slope. If we begin to bring in less academic oriented students….do you think our program will turn into Miami sans the national championship? Quality of character means a lot.
I would bring in a guy that can't add 2+4 if he can make us better than 3-9. Do you think Anthony Morelli was a Mensa member?

yes, otah was a juco..Valley Forge guy.

I hope we find 80 assasins and win a natty, I do not care if they are good students, they are basically pro players now lol we have guys making more money than us playing now.
I Thought Jeff Otah was a prep school guy?? Like a military academy???

The far more slippery slope here is the way that you cavalierly just make assumptions about someone's intelligence and character that you know nothing about.

The far more slippery slope here is the way that you cavalierly just make assumptions about someone's intelligence and character that you know nothing about.
So you are saying that Western Carolina is equal in terms of academics then PITT. You would be willing to trade degrees with a graduate of WCA?

you really think most of these football recruits are getting into pitt if they werent big and fast and strong?

If anything the NIL process is taking a lot of the under the table cash trash above table. I for one enjoy the NIL process.

i think it was Kansas state under snyder (might not be his name) in the late 90s that hit the JUCO Ranks hard and did it beautifully. they had some real good teams back then and a big reason was because of a bigtime influx of JUCO talent.
It as and they did. Bill Snyder resurrected that program from literally the worst in the country to B12 champs, and he started the turnaround by bringing in tons of JUCOs.

Futility U

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Is that actually your point in starting this thread? That the WCU players aren't academically suited to Pitt? And/or that they are JUCOs?

Maybe you were actually serious about your brilliant citizen's arrest thread. Jesus.

Academic integrity is not an assumption. College football is a dumpster fire and it won't be too long until it exposes the sham that is the modern University system.

So you are saying that Western Carolina is equal in terms of academics then PITT. You would be willing to trade degrees with a graduate of WCA?

I'm not saying that at all. And the fact that you think I am is evidence, not proof mind you, but evidence, that some people who have a Pitt degree probably aren't any smarter than the average Western Carolina graduate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT