ADVERTISEMENT

Its a MIRACLE!!!

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I just saw a college player with a real, actual, non-pay for play NIL deal. Armando Bacot did a commercial for Turbo Tax. This is what NIL was supposed to be. Instead we got collectives doing straight up pay for play.

I just saw a college player with a real, actual, non-pay for play NIL deal. Armando Bacot did a commercial for Turbo Tax. This is what NIL was supposed to be. Instead we got collectives doing straight up pay for play.
Caleb Williams has had a Dr Pepper Fansville commercial for a while.

I also think I saw a female gymnast and female hoops player with ads.

But true 99.8% of them just get cash from a collective period.

For nationally-broadcasted commercials, advertisers only want to use athletes who are widely-known across the general public. Most colleges athletes aren't famous outside their team's fanbase, unless:

1. They've won the Heisman, like Caleb Williams
2. They're a transcendent talent, like Caitlin Clark or
3. They've built their own following through social media, like Livy Dunne.

It's similar to baseball, in that regard. Unlike the NFL, most college games aren't broadcast on national TV every week.

For nationally-broadcasted commercials, advertisers only want to use athletes who are widely-known across the general public. Most colleges athletes aren't famous outside their team's fanbase, unless:

1. They've won the Heisman, like Caleb Williams
2. They're a transcendent talent, like Caitlin Clark or
3. They've built their own following through social media, like Livy Dunne.

It's similar to baseball, in that regard. Unlike the NFL, most college games aren't broadcast on national TV every week.
Have you ever seen any local ads with local college athletes, I live in Maryland and never once saw a local college athlete on an ad, but Maryland is in the B1G so I'm sure they have NIL deals.

SCOTUS unknowingly perhaps gave the NCAA quite a gift: they were forced by courts to let players sell their NIL because of Ed O'Bannon etc. And instead of schools paying the players directly, an old controversial issue of course, now a bunch of local car dealers can pay for the players and the individual schools are off the hook for the bill. The NCAA could crack down on this, nothing in the court decision says otherwise, but they really have no reason to want to. So we get this weird, unregulated system where most college athletes will get nothing, a few elite male athletes in exactly two sports will get hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, and a handful of conventionally attractive women athletes who promote themselves on Instagram may get a few thousand dollars as well.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Have you ever seen any local ads with local college athletes, I live in Maryland and never once saw a local college athlete on an ad, but Maryland is in the B1G so I'm sure they have NIL deals.
I haven't but I also live in L.A., where ad space is insanely expensive. This one from Lincoln, Nebraska, is hilarious, though:

Well he is 35 years old with 3 kids! I kid but he has been there for what seems like an eternity.
Soon there will be 35-year-old college players after someone challenges and wins a lawsuit against years of eligibility and it becomes unlimited.

Caitlin is now dating Jake from State Progressive or GEICO. Or is it "Flo"???

Soon there will be 35-year-old college players after someone challenges and wins a lawsuit against years of eligibility and it becomes unlimited.
You may be on to something! With athletes no longer committed to a school but to NIL this may happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT