ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee and Virginia AG's suing NCAA

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Not sure how the Virginia AG got wrapped up into this but this is the new trend. WVU started it when the NCAA didnt allow 2 time basketball transfer Raequan Battle to play immediately. You get your AG to sue the NCAA and you get your player eligible. The NCAA is investigating the use of NIL funds to "induce" that SoCal QB to sign with Tennessee. I mean, obviously, the money was used as a salary/signing bonus, whatever you want to call it but everyone is doing it so the Tennessee AD (not AG this time) wrote a scathing letter basically saying he wont allow the NCAA to use Tennessee as an example. So the AG is suing the NCAA and trying to get them to allow the use of NIL for recruiting purposes. Everyone is doing it so they are just saying it shouldnt be against NCAA rules.

Instead of cherrypicking 1 case, the NCAA should have listened to me long ago and created a sports marketing team to evaluate the marketing value of each NIL deal. And whatever value the sports marketing team determined that player was worth, was the maximum he can make and retain eligibility. Even a 5 star QB like the Tennessee kid is probably not even worth $100K to local Knoxville businesses in Year 1 but he's making millions per year. If he turns into an elite QB, he still probably isnt worth a few hundred thousand to local restautants, car dealerships, and law firms.

Lol. That didnt take long. A federal judge in Eastern Tennessee ruled that you can offer NIL in recruiting. I mean everyone was doing it anyway, but now you dont have to be secretive about it.

Lol. That didnt take long. A federal judge in Eastern Tennessee ruled that you can offer NIL in recruiting. I mean everyone was doing it anyway, but now you dont have to be secretive about it.
More interesting will be schools now offering NIL deals in house or sending money to the collectives.

More interesting will be schools now offering NIL deals in house or sending money to the collectives.
?? The collectives were the creation of the NCAA, who once again, has been ruled by a federal court to be operating a monopoly where it comes to player autonomy/compensation.

The courts continually base judgements on anti-trust laws, where the NCAA has been consistently ruled a monopoly. They are DONE as any kind of rules body regarding payment of football players/employees. DONE.

The question remains, so let's say the B10/SEC create their own "governing body". Do they really expect to some how evade anti-trust litigation? They can certainly create a "super league" but the minute the start putting in interstate rules of commerce into play regarding player compensation they will find themselves in the cross hairs of a state AG whose favorite team got left out.

This only ends with an NFL-style labor agreement. The only question is... who exactly will this labor organization negotiate with? Consortium of individual schools would be my best guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT