ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin picked as the most overrated head coach

Reactions: Purdue_Panther
I mean, he does have 3 top 10 finishes in the past 6 years, including 3 -11 win seasons. If Narduzzi has 2 more 11-win seasons in the next 5 years he'll get a 50-year heritable extension.

I mean, he does have 3 top 10 finishes in the past 6 years, including 3 -11 win seasons. If Narduzzi has 2 more 11-win seasons in the next 5 years he'll get a 50-year heritable extension.
Here comes the penn state trolls we all know he's a good recruiter but he's a lousy game day coach ,I'd take narduzzi any day of the week over Franklin

Reactions: Blue Goose
What's overrated is Franklin's recruiting. He's had 1 top ten class (going by average stars). That typically doesn't translate to consistent top ten finishes.

Compare to Jim Harbaugh, who hasn't recruited great either, but somehow had his team in the playoffs.

Here comes the penn state trolls we all know he's a good recruiter but he's a lousy game day coach ,I'd take narduzzi any day of the week over Franklin
Why not try sticking to a single account?

Narduzzi is likely the best coach Pitt has had in my lifetime and I couldn't be happier that he turned it around after Western Michigan. Franklin can't seem to put an entire season together and with any luck he never will, but he has had more success in the last decade than 90% of head coaches in college football.

https://thespun.com/college-football/analyst-names-college-footballs-most-overrated-head-coaches

No surprise for us all. Maybe for the fools that actually thought he did something at Vanderbilt other than beat bad teams and ruin their program.
This is the year Franklin can do some damage. He has Ohio State and MSU at home, Auburn and Michigan on the road. If he goes 4-0 on those games he will get credit. I suspect he will go 1-3. If he is 1-3 in those games the cult will be very unhappy.

Why not try sticking to a single account?

Narduzzi is likely the best coach Pitt has had in my lifetime and I couldn't be happier that he turned it around after Western Michigan. Franklin can't seem to put an entire season together and with any luck he never will, but he has had more success in the last decade than 90% of head coaches in college football.

That's irrelevant when the topic is "overrated". He typically underperforms expectations.

This is the year Franklin can do some damage. He has Ohio State and MSU at home, Auburn and Michigan on the road. If he goes 4-0 on those games he will get credit. I suspect he will go 1-3. If he is 1-3 in those games the cult will be very unhappy.
expect 1-3 . nothing aboit his history or the roster says otherwise

PSU has advantages well beyond what all but 4 or 5 other programs have. So comparing his record to Narduzzi is not even close to being apples to apples. JimmyFranks does far less with more than most NCAA coaches.

Agree. Auburn, OSU and even Michigan are better teams. I think they can beat MSU, especially since it is at home. But they'll wallop Rutgers, so they'll at least have that to pound their chests over.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Franklin is only overrated if you buy into his own hype. Covid year was a complete mess. It's fun to get after Nits with his last two seasons but he won 41 games the prior four seasons and a conference championship. Not sure how you do that and be "overrated".

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
What's overrated is Franklin's recruiting. He's had 1 top ten class (going by average stars). That typically doesn't translate to consistent top ten finishes.

Compare to Jim Harbaugh, who hasn't recruited great either, but somehow had his team in the playoffs.
ONCE Harbaugh has done it. It happened and he deserves kudos. But for the money they spend and their national following and all the media they get, he hasn’t done enough compared to the hype he got especially early in his tenure.

PSU has proven they’ll do absolutely anything, and we know that means ANYTHING, for football, but expectations were/ are not as high as Michigan/Harbaugh. Harbaugh is expected to be up there with Ohio State as the conference flag bearer. PSU has 10-11 wins carved in every season but beyond that nobody truly expects them to leap over OSU and Michigan, maybe once a decade or so at best.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Franklin is only overrated if you buy into his own hype. Covid year was a complete mess. It's fun to get after Nits with his last two seasons but he won 41 games the prior four seasons and a conference championship. Not sure how you do that and be "overrated".

Even with annual over-ranking the B1G; his record against the teams that matter is pretty terrible.

Even with annual over-ranking the B1G; his record against the teams that matter is pretty terrible.

Yeah, no one is saying the guy isn't a resourceful recruiter. He has no shame in what he will do to draw recruits in. But, he has just a deplorable record against top teams. It is good to beat the teams you should beat, but I think we would be pretty upset as well if every year we have a top 20 recruiting class, have a ton of money to spend on recruits and coaches, and lose every year to the top teams. I would think the "most overrated" moniker for this season comes from the massive raise he received for a .500 record the last 2 years and the before mentioned failures against any relevant team

With a possible 8-4 record that gives the nits a 3 year total of 19 and 15 which is unremarkable. He really had two very good years 2016 and 2017 as to play. Since then he hasn't beaten anyone with a division or playoff caliber program. In bowls game he has lost to USC, KY, Arkansas and Georgia to go 3 and 4. Won one conference championship and hasn't sniffed one since then.

That's irrelevant when the topic is "overrated". He typically underperforms expectations.
Yeah I guess we have different definitions of "most overrated." I would definitely agree that he has under performed, especially in the last 2 years, but the guy has been 1 score away from a probable playoff birth 3 out of the last 6 years. Is he overpaid, probably but proven coaches are incredibly in demand and a program like PSU isn't going to make any move until they already have another proven winner lined up.

I also get that the expectations at PSU are different, a lot like the Steelers. When Tomlin wins the division but loses in the 1st playoff game he definitely under performed, but that doesn't mean he's the most overrated coach that season.

I just think it's a bit of a reach by a MSU alumnus and a bunch of Pitt fans to claim he's the most overrated in college football. One even going as far to say that he ruined a Vanderbilt program that could count their winning seasons in the 50 years before his arrival on 1 hand with a thumb left over.

Reactions: pittdan77
Yeah I guess we have different definitions of "most overrated." I would definitely agree that he has under performed, especially in the last 2 years, but the guy has been 1 score away from a probable playoff birth 3 out of the last 6 years. Is he overpaid, probably but proven coaches are incredibly in demand and a program like PSU isn't going to make any move until they already have another proven winner lined up.

I also get that the expectations at PSU are different, a lot like the Steelers. When Tomlin wins the division but loses in the 1st playoff game he definitely under performed, but that doesn't mean he's the most overrated coach that season.

I just think it's a bit of a reach by a MSU alumnus and a bunch of Pitt fans to claim he's the most overrated in college football. One even going as far to say that he ruined a Vanderbilt program that could count their winning seasons in the 50 years before his arrival on 1 hand with a thumb left over.
Yes it’s a difference in opinion, which is fine. IMO, someone who is expected to deliver championships is by definition rated really highly, so if he regularly does not come even close to delivering the championships, that makes him overrated.

This is about Franklin and yeah I’ll agree he is overrated, at least by his own fan base. But I think standards are higher for Michigan and many thought Harbaugh was a good enough coach to deliver greatness to Michigan nearly every year (much more so than Franklin is expected to do at Penn State), which he clearly hasn’t. That’s why I’d put a nod to Harbaugh, pending what he does now after finally having delivered one really good season.

Since he was mentioned above, by that reasoning,I think Mike Tomlin is a fine coach but yeah, I do think he is also somewhat overrated as well, and in particular by Steelers fans. He delivered a championship, but pretty long ago now. Merely slipping into the playoffs most years, and then quickly right out, when he had a near-elite QB and in many years, top notch linemen and skill players as well, isn’t impressive enough to live up to the rating he has as a HOF coach. It doesn’t mean he is a bad coach or that he wouldn’t have a job within the hour if he were let go (which says more about the laziness or conservatism of NFL GMs more than anything, recycling all the same guys over and over, but that’s another story). Just that he isn’t as good as he has been fabled to be.

Yeah, they should have a better record this year, they lose a lot of defense but with all those great recruiting classes, I am sure they should win 9?

Yeah, they should have a better record this year, they lose a lot of defense but with all those great recruiting classes, I am sure they should win 9?
They open in the road at Purdung. You never know what kind of team is going to show up in whatever uniforms Purdung is wearing.
If they lose a fourth game along the way the nitwits will lose their minds. Whatever it is they have left.

Three straight wins vs Pitt. 51-6. Never forget.
Daily_NEws_Paterno.jpg

Never Forget. Success with Honor.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSeldomSeenKid
51-6.

Narduzzi wishes he had done more.
Okay??? 51-6 was a game that most outside of PA have already forgotten. Paterno and Jerry were the most vile and disgusting scandal in collegiate sports history that will never be forgotten.

51-6.

Narduzzi wishes he had done more.
Pitt wasn't embarrassed in 2018 any worse than PSU was embarrassed in 2016 giving up like 350 yards rushing, and another 100 yards passing that came on shovel passes so that is basically like another 100 yards rushing.

You are probably right that Narduzzi hasn't forgotten, and has had a program that has improved since then. Franklin meanwhile must think beating Pitt is the pinnacle of football because he hasn't been able to reach the same heights after the series with Pitt ended.

I certainly don’t want to argue but I really think Harbaugh is worse/more overrated, all things considered, though he’s saved his rep a bit after last season
Tough to argue otherwise. If this was the nfl he would have probably been fired this year. Instead he got a raise

Lmao. The conversation was about whether or not Franklin is overrated. The PSU fan came in and (correctly) pointed out that Franklin has 3 straight wins against Pitt, including a 51-6 beatdown in Pitt’s own backyard.

Instead of firing back with something relevant to Franklin and the topic at hand, Pitt fans immediately went the Sandusky route!

PSU fans know very well that if someone has to bring up Sandusky in a topic in which he has absolutely no relevance, they’ve already lost the debate. Thanks for proving it again, fellas! Lol

Reactions: horace19040
Top 10 classes compared to top 35 classes

Lmao. The conversation was about whether or not Franklin is overrated. The PSU fan came in and (correctly) pointed out that Franklin has 3 straight wins against Pitt, including a 51-6 beatdown in Pitt’s own backyard.

Instead of firing back with something relevant to Franklin and the topic at hand, Pitt fans immediately went the Sandusky route!

PSU fans know very well that if someone has to bring up Sandusky in a topic in which he has absolutely no relevance, they’ve already lost the debate. Thanks for proving it again, fellas! Lol
I'll bring up recruiting classes aren't even close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT