ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Long Fired by Arkansas

Jpripper88

Chancellor
Jun 1, 2005
Former Pitt AD.

It will be interesting to see what this means for Bret Bielema and his $5.9M buyout.

Last edited:
Actually Rip, that buyout is not nearly that high. About 4-5 weeks ago, locals writers took Brett's contract to lawyers and had it dissected. I cannot remember exactly but i think they found out the buyout is actually closer to 6-7M.

I would bet they are going to fire him at years end. Plus the new AD will want to make his mark with "his" guy.

Former Pitt AD.

It will be interesting to see what this means for Bret Bielema and his $15M buyout.

Last edited:
We all saw this coming. I saw Barnes few weeks ago on tv when OS played Stanford, OS was up and he still looked unpleased heard Peterson is going to be AD for the South Central Louisiana State University and is firing coach Klein as head coach.

Reactions: Jakey_John
Actually Rip, that buyout is not nearly that high. About 4-5 weeks ago, locals writers took Brett's contract to lawyers and had it dissected. I cannot remember exactly but i think they found out the buyout is actually closer to 6-7M.

I would bet they are going to fire him at years end.
Correct. $5.9M and decreasing by $190k per month.

Maybe just due to the sheer amount of job openings? Arkansas isn't even close to UF, Tenn., Texas A&M, etc. It might be a good idea to sit this one out, let the buyout get lower, and make the move next year when you have a little more leverage among coaches.
How do you know what will open up next year though? If it's time to make the move, make it. There are guys out there, it's up to the school to find them.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
How do you know what will open up next year though? If it's time to make the move, make it. There are guys out there, it's up to the school to find them.
Well, if Tennessee, A&M, Ole Miss, and UF are open this year and there is no (realistic) chance UA, UGA, OU, OSU, or Texas is open next year and very unlikely AU is either, you basically are only possibly contending with LSU as attractive openings in the SEC and B12 region. When you add that UM, FSU, Clemson, Ohio State, and Michigan are also not changing, while Nebraska is going to be open this year, it means there are very few decent jobs that will be open to compete with for Arkansas.

And that's also true. But Arkansas just isn't competing with every region in the country. They are probably going to target a southern coach. Somebody with ties to the area, program, conference, etc.
So if you're Arkansas, you're looking at coaches that are in the mold, and looking at the schools you compete with that would also offer the "southern" experience. Next year, there really can't be that many job openings. Maybe Stoops at UK opens up. Cut can't stay at Duke forever, but I doubt next year is when he goes, and you're a much better job than Duke. Fedora at UNC might be out with another horrible season, and they are probably about at your level as a program.
But most southern jobs are either really secure, or will be making coaching changes this year. There just aren't many jobs in your geographic region that can even be open for you to compete against next year.

Kinda of looks like Brett B will be gone and they are going to make a push for Gus who i remember coaching at Springdale HS in Arkansas

Brett B will be gone, at least that is the word on the street. AD and coach both let go as I expected. It will be interesting to see if they can lure Gus home.

Will be interesting to see the dominos fall in the SEC coaching openings.

On a real note about wanny... idk if he'd wanna leave his cushy job at fox, but with Peterson gone would he ever consider coming back for a small job like director of recruiting? It's past desperation point in recruiting, something serious needs done. If heather lyke and pat narduzzi have any better ideas to improve recruiting before this feb. 1 they better bust these ideas out now.

Maybe just due to the sheer amount of job openings? Arkansas isn't even close to UF, Tenn., Texas A&M, etc. It might be a good idea to sit this one out, let the buyout get lower, and make the move next year when you have a little more leverage among coaches.

There are so many opening even Paul Pasqualoni might have a shot at a HCing job?
Is Paul still alive?

ADVERTISEMENT