ADVERTISEMENT

Jester Weah's cousin

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Tim Weah had a hat trick today to lead the U17 MNT to the Round of 8 at the World Cup. He plays at PSG and figures to be a mainstay with the senior national team eventually. His dad and Jester's Uncle George is one of the greatest ever.

Tim Weah had a hat trick today to lead the U17 MNT to the Round of 8 at the World Cup. He plays at PSG and figures to be a mainstay with the senior national team eventually. His dad and Jester's Uncle George is one of the greatest ever.
His second goal was beautiful.

Is he seriously related to Weah?

His second goal was beautiful.

Is he seriously related to Weah?

1st cousin. George Weah is Jester's dad's brother. I have no idea how Jester wasn't a better soccer prospect. He was a soccer player and track guy then played football for the first time in his life as a senior and earned a D1 scholarship. He literally had a much easier time earning a D1 football scholarship than soccer.....which helps squash a lot of soccer sterotypes.

Reactions: dman34006
1st cousin. George Weah is Jester's dad's brother. I have no idea how Jester wasn't a better soccer prospect. He was a soccer player and track guy then played football for the first time in his life as a senior and earned a D1 scholarship. He literally had a much easier time earning a D1 football scholarship than soccer.....which helps squash a lot of soccer sterotypes.
Lol. I think you should start a thread about this on the football board.

Watch the claws come out.

It's baffling that no one even knows what the men's national volleyball team does, or barely knows what USA hockey does internationally. Yet, what US soccer does internationally is newsworthy. More than what the anti soccer crowd like to admit.

Honestly I believe there should not be no youth football until 7th grade just let the kids play soccer till them. You obviously have great conditioning with soccer but you also get great foot work that transitions over to football. My son is in 4th grade and he wants to play tackle and i refuse to let him until 7th grade when the coach is a teacher and not a dad. Daddy ball sucks where the kids do not learn enough good to overcome all the bad.

Honestly I believe there should not be no youth football until 7th grade just let the kids play soccer till them. You obviously have great conditioning with soccer but you also get great foot work that transitions over to football. My son is in 4th grade and he wants to play tackle and i refuse to let him until 7th grade when the coach is a teacher and not a dad. Daddy ball sucks where the kids do not learn enough good to overcome all the bad.

I agree sort of. Tackle football should be outlawed until Middle School. And before any kid makes his first tackle, they should he required to go through a free nationwide tackling camp where certified coaches teach proper tackling. These leagues with kindergarten and 1st grade kids playing tackle football is so stupid.

Save the hitting until middle school.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I agree sort of. Tackle football should be outlawed until Middle School. And before any kid makes his first tackle, they should he required to go through a free nationwide tackling camp where certified coaches teach proper tackling. These leagues with kindergarten and 1st grade kids playing tackle football is so stupid.

I agree. I know from my own experience I started playing football in 3rd grade. I spent 9th grade relearning techniques because my fundamentals sucked so bad from all the bad habits learned in Daddy Ball because Daddy didn't actually know WTF he was coaching. Plus the ratio of Father/Coach to Son/QB is way too damn high. All youth football does is discourage people from wanting to participate in HS because of the bad experiences in youth football. I was one of 8 kids out of 24 on my youth teams who played in HS. out of that 8 I was one of 3 who played all four years of HS. Trust me I could keep typing but you probably don't want to hear it.

Reactions: jctrack

I agree. I know from my own experience I started playing football in 3rd grade. I spent 9th grade relearning techniques because my fundamentals sucked so bad from all the bad habits learned in Daddy Ball because Daddy didn't actually know WTF he was coaching. Plus the ratio of Father/Coach to Son/QB is way too damn high. All youth football does is discourage people from wanting to participate in HS because of the bad experiences in youth football. I was one of 8 kids out of 24 on my youth teams who played in HS. out of that 8 I was one of 3 who played all four years of HS. Trust me I could keep typing but you probably don't want to hear it.

I also think by eliminating tackle football until middle school, it would increase participation the whole way up. More parents would allow their kid to play flag football, then when middle school rolls around, you'd have good athletes who otherwise would not have played football, like playing flag football so much that they talk their parents into allowing them to play middle school tackle football. And its easier for a parent to say yes at that point as the kid is less of "mommy's little baby" at 13 and they've seen him star at flag football the whole way up. But what do I know

I also think by eliminating tackle football until middle school, it would increase participation the whole way up. More parents would allow their kid to play flag football, then when middle school rolls around, you'd have good athletes who otherwise would not have played football, like playing flag football so much that they talk their parents into allowing them to play middle school tackle football. And its easier for a parent to say yes at that point as the kid is less of "mommy's little baby" at 13 and they've seen him star at flag football the whole way up. But what do I know
I have been preaching that idea for 20 plus years. By deferring tackle football until later, you would improve the quality of football players for several reasons. 1) more kids would play. 2) kids who are small or late developers would not quit early. 3) you would develop many more skilled players since each community would have more teams, meaning multiple qb's, multiple wide receivers, multiple kickers etc. it does not take long to develop linemen.

I have been preaching that idea for 20 plus years. By deferring tackle football until later, you would improve the quality of football players for several reasons. 1) more kids would play. 2) kids who are small or late developers would not quit early. 3) you would develop many more skilled players since each community would have more teams, meaning multiple qb's, multiple wide receivers, multiple kickers etc. it does not take long to develop linemen.

Yep. And it would not encourage, for lack of a better term, kids to be fat. Being fat kid is rewarded with a starting spot on the OL and DL. Since this would be a flag football, all kids would be required to run and develop skills.

I compare this to youth hockey, which doesn't allow checking until middle school age or youth soccer which doesn't allow headers until around that age. Youth football is barbaric.

THIS^^^ He couldn't hack it in soccer, so he went to D1 football.

I've seen some of the flag football kids are playing these days, it is kind of weird, in that no blocking is allowed, you can be in their way, but can't hit them or push them.

2) kids who are small or late developers would not quit early.
What about kids that grow large quicker? They've been discriminated against for years by weight limits. A kid that's 150 pounds in 7th grade can't go to the under 135 league, and they tell him "you're a big boy, you can go play with the 9th graders" and they get killed, and quit, they aren't ready, just because they are big. I lived that experience, came back to it later and eventually played high school varsity, but being left out of playing with your peers for a couple years actually stunts your growth and you lose valuable experience. For every 150 pound 7th grader who's tough enough, there are probably 4-5 who aren't ready.

Reactions: Mikefln
What about kids that grow large quicker? They've been discriminated against for years by weight limits. A kid that's 150 pounds in 7th grade can't go to the under 135 league, and they tell him "you're a big boy, you can go play with the 9th graders" and they get killed, and quit, they aren't ready, just because they are big. I lived that experience, came back to it later and eventually played high school varsity, but being left out of playing with your peers for a couple years actually stunts your growth and you lose valuable experience. For every 150 pound 7th grader who's tough enough, there are probably 4-5 who aren't ready.

you are right, it does work both ways. That is why i say start in 7th grade and it is real football at that point no weight limits but no dad's coaching either.

you are right, it does work both ways. That is why i say start in 7th grade and it is real football at that point no weight limits but no dad's coaching either.

Yea, there's no weight limits in flag football. In tackle football, some leagues even have weight limits for running backs. I cant believe tackle football is still allowed in this day and age.

Its like if I spoke at a football convention and said, "Would you be interested in increasing youth participation and avoiding long-term damage to players' brains?" Everyone would be like, "heck yea." Well, just dont tackle before middle school.

Yea, there's no weight limits in flag football. In tackle football, some leagues even have weight limits for running backs. I cant believe tackle football is still allowed in this day and age.

Its like if I spoke at a football convention and said, "Would you be interested in increasing youth participation and avoiding long-term damage to players' brains?" Everyone would be like, "heck yea." Well, just dont tackle before middle school.

I agree and by no means am I one of those helicopter parents who wants their son's to live in a bubble. I want my son climbing trees, riding bikes, he wrestles and takes karate and one day play tackle football. But there is a time for tackle football and that time is around 13 when they can handle the sport.

The best way to make football safer is to have truly train coaches that are good at teaching the fundamentals of the game. Daddy ball is not that. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Daddy coach think he is coaching for the super bowl, and instead of teaching technique (if he even knows them himself because chances are he was a QB or RB and does not know blocking or tackling tech) he teaches plays and tries to run no huddle BS from shotgun. yeah that is real helpful for the youths development. The fundamentals need to be drilled into the players head. that alone would cause a dramatic decrease in head injuries and injuries in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT