ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Whitehead - anyone know his 40 yd combine time?

He did a great job with the bench press though, and met with many teams. He is obviously a physical specimen for teams, so I think he will go day 2 if he has a good run at the Pitt pro day.

He did a great job with the bench press though, and met with many teams. He is obviously a physical specimen for teams, so I think he will go day 2 if he has a good run at the Pitt pro day.

Nobody cares about his bench. He needed to run in the same environment as everyone else. This hurts him.

Reactions: Steve_H2P
The problem with not running at the Combine is that it cuts your opportunities in half. A bad run at the Combine can be overcome with a good Pro Day run. If he's really hurt, that is one thing, but some of these guys think that running on their home turf is a safer bet. That may be the case, but it still is risky.

You hope these kids are getting good advice.

If he indeed had a hamstring problem, he probably would have run a slower then usual time at the combine and would have risked injuring the hamstring more to the extent that he couldn't run at the Pitt pro day ....... let the injury heal as much as possible and run at the Pitt pro day.

Pro day times are always taken with a grain of salt. He's an undersized safety and needs to run a fast time. Any questions about his time hurt him. If he's not in the low 4.4s at Pitt's pro day he'll be a 3rd day pick. He may be there already.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Pro day times are always taken with a grain of salt. He's an undersized safety and needs to run a fast time. Any questions about his time hurt him. If he's not in the low 4.4s at Pitt's pro day he'll be a 3rd day pick. He may be there already.

His 40 isn't what concerns teams.

Also, Indy times are taken with a grain of salt too due the methods.

Why bother. This guy is clueless

Maybe, but I've been consistent in my thoughts on Whitehead even many on this board were claiming 1st rounder. His ceiling with a smoking 40 time in front of everyone at the combine was 2nd round. He didn't get that chance to wow everyone.

His tape doesn't help him. He's a safety who is not great in coverage and doesn't play the ball well. His best attribute is run support and he's not big enough to handle that in the NFL.

I have never been as enamored as others with his game.

Maybe, but I've been consistent in my thoughts on Whitehead even many on this board were claiming 1st rounder. His ceiling with a smoking 40 time in front of everyone at the combine was 2nd round. He didn't get that chance to wow everyone.

His tape doesn't help him. He's a safety who is not great in coverage and doesn't play the ball well. His best attribute is run support and he's not big enough to handle that in the NFL.

I have never been as enamored as others with his game.

I agree with your assessment on Whitehead. I personally don't think him having a great 40 time helps all that much. I think his game tape has sealed his fate whether good or bad.

I do think he can a factor in the run game though. Bob Sanders and Troy were about the same size as Jordan and dominated the run game. If he plays in cover 6 or 3 team he could be fine.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
I agree with your assessment on Whitehead. I personally don't think him having a great 40 time helps all that much. I think his game tape has sealed his fate whether good or bad.

I do think he can a factor in the run game though. Bob Sanders and Troy were about the same size as Jordan and dominated the run game. If he plays in cover 6 or 3 team he could be fine.
Bob Sanders only played 50 career games, over 8 seasons, because of injuries. He only had 2 productive NFL seasons. Whitehead is not even close to Polamalu, so if his next best case is Bob Sanders, that is an indictment (like Gunga was saying) of his potential, not a positive.

I think he is a 4th or 5th rounder. He isn't good at reading routes in zone coverage and isn't big enough to be a force against the run in the NFL. I think he could be a good special teams guy and nickel safety, but I doubt he has a long NFL career.

Yes, they are. They aren't fully electronic, scouts and GM's still rely on their clock.
Which is then adjusted for the reaction time. However, those scouts and GMs rely on their clock as captured in Indy and with partial electronic timing, not the Pro Days.

Which is then adjusted for the reaction time. However, those scouts and GMs rely on their clock as captured in Indy and with partial electronic timing, not the Pro Days.

Indy uses electronic finishes and they aren't truly adjusted for accuracy. Handheld-Electronic is supposed to be adjusted between + .1-.+17. Most track coaches have leaned on the slower side. The industry standard for handheld accuracy is +.24-+.33.

The combine has its share of head scratching performances when comes to what is accurate and what is reported. Go back to Taylor Mays as an example.

Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson both were the very best sprinters who were coming off blocks and ran 4.67 on a rubber track in spikes.

Indy uses electronic finishes and they aren't truly adjusted for accuracy. Handheld-Electronic is supposed to be adjusted between + .1-.+17. Most track coaches have leaned on the slower side. The industry standard for handheld accuracy is +.24-+.33.

The combine has its share of head scratching performances when comes to what is accurate and what is reported. Go back to Taylor Mays as an example.

Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson both were the very best sprinters who were coming off blocks and ran 4.67 on a rubber track in spikes.
I'm not sure why you posted all this. They are adjusted for accuracy and they are the most accurate and comparable times in the process.

Bob Sanders only played 50 career games, over 8 seasons, because of injuries. He only had 2 productive NFL seasons. Whitehead is not even close to Polamalu, so if his next best case is Bob Sanders, that is an indictment (like Gunga was saying) of his potential, not a positive.
It is ridiculous to try and minimize Bob Sanders. He was a heck of a player. Bottom line.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
It is ridiculous to try and minimize Bob Sanders. He was a heck of a player. Bottom line.
It isn't ridiculous. He only had 2 seasons where he played more than 2 reasons. The reason is because he was an undersized box safety who had to play with reckless abandon to be effective. If that is Whiteheads best case (the person I responded to made that, not me) that isn't very good.

It isn't ridiculous. He only had 2 seasons where he played more than 2 reasons. The reason is because he was an undersized box safety who had to play with reckless abandon to be effective. If that is Whiteheads best case (the person I responded to made that, not me) that isn't very good.
2-time All Pro, Defensive Player of the Year, and Super Bowl champion. Dungy spoke glowingly of him. Put your shovel away.

2-time All Pro, Defensive Player of the Year, and Super Bowl champion. Dungy spoke glowingly of him. Put your shovel away.
And he only effectively played those two seasons because of all the injuries he suffered while being an undersized box safety.

I'm not sure why you posted all this. They are adjusted for accuracy and they are the most accurate and comparable times in the process.

What's your definition of accuracy?

Tell me why they don't use FAT timing?

When they did, they didn't publish the results. I wonder why? Hint... it's what track coaches at the highest levels have said for years. And, for that reason alone is why they don't utilize fully automated timing. The combine would struggle to get the top prospects to run at Indy like they did in the late 90's due to slow times due to Indy's surface.

And he only effectively played those two seasons because of all the injuries he suffered while being an undersized box safety.

Dude he was the DPOY...

Dungy rarely played single high. Pre-snap he was 4 spoke on the back end. He loved 2 deep and in obvious run situations they'd rotate to cover 6.

Calling him purely a box safety is ridiculous..

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Whitehead was fourth in the country in tackles last year when he was injured. I agree his game has some holes, and god knows about his attitude. Plus there is the steroid issue that he may have had this year. But, he has game.

Comparing to Bob Sanders is weird, he isnt that small, and isnt that good yet, but few were as good as Sanders. Someone will get a good player in Whitehead, most likely in the third or fourth round, unless he runs a slow time on pro days.

By the way, on pro days, most scouts bring their own hand-helds too. These are scouts that been around a long time, and I would think they trust their own eyes. Ive been a high school baseball coach for years, and during try-outs when we have kids sprint the first base line, you dont usually need a stop-watch to know a kid has speed. But, I still use one. Again though, as said in other threads, shuttle run times are probably more important. Chasing down a WR is one thing, being quick is another.

Dude he was the DPOY...

Dungy rarely played single high. Pre-snap he was 4 spoke on the back end. He loved 2 deep and in obvious run situations they'd rotate to cover 6.

Calling him purely a box safety is ridiculous..
He was GREAT when he played. He rarely played. That is the problem.

Pre-snap that is correct, but schematically it essentially was playing single high with Sanders, much of the time. He was good enough to disguise that and play 2 deep in the Dungy scheme and even sometimes rolling into him being a single high safety at snap. Sanders was versatile, but his primary focus was coming into the box and making plays on the move. Because he was undersized he was constantly injured.

Coming out of college Sanders was obviously smaller than Whitehead, but he was also seemingly better in all facets.

What's your definition of accuracy?

Tell me why they don't use FAT timing?

When they did, they didn't publish the results. I wonder why? Hint... it's what track coaches at the highest levels have said for years. And, for that reason alone is why they don't utilize fully automated timing. The combine would struggle to get the top prospects to run at Indy like they did in the late 90's due to slow times due to Indy's surface.
The issue is comparable setting and conditions. That's why the combine is vastly preferred over pro day times.

Reactions: SempleFest06
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT