ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Fields is BACK and going to lead the Steelers to the promised land!

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
I don't get it.

Justin Fields First three games 2024
jf.png

Kenny Pickett first three games 2023
kp.png

Fields is playing better than I expected, particularly yesterday. If he can match Pickett, it's a win for the Steelers this year because their defense is now elite.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Fields is playing better than I expected, particularly yesterday. If he can match Pickett, it's a win for the Steelers this year because their defense is now elite.

I'm not saying he is playing bad, just that the stats aren't too different. However, the narrative seems to be quite a bit different.

Reactions: Steeltheone
I'm not saying he is playing bad, just that the stats aren't too different. However, the narrative seems to be quite a bit different.
Pickett had more turnovers and sacks and a worse completion percentage. He also didn't add anything rushing that Fields has. Those stats you pasted clearly favor Fields.

The narrative is only changing because the last thing we saw was Fields play a very strong half. It will swing back the next time we punt a few times in a row.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I think Pickett defenders are more paranoid about this being the narrative than it actually has been. At least until yesterday, and I would say Fields deserves some credit for leading two - almost three - touchdown drives against one of the league's better defenses.

So far, he's basically been Kenny Pickett with more tools. Conservative, but can make a few throws/run plays that Pickett can't. I'd like to see what he could do with another receiver, because after Pickens we look like the Pittsburgh Maulers out wide.

I think Pickett defenders are more paranoid about this being the narrative than it actually has been. At least until yesterday, and I would say Fields deserves some credit for leading two - almost three - touchdown drives against one of the league's better defenses.

So far, he's basically been Kenny Pickett with more tools. Conservative, but can make a few throws/run plays that Pickett can't. I'd like to see what he could do with another receiver, because after Pickens we look like the Pittsburgh Maulers out wide.
some very accurate mid range balls between the hashes yesterday has me feeling very optimistic. add in the one that Muth dropped, which was beautful, and his ability to run too.

dont want to go overboard this early but very promising play from our QB. what was perceived as a weakness could be a strength..

I don't think anyone is really crowning Fields unless you consider people believe he hasn't lost the job to Wilson once he is healthy enough to be QB1. Fields hasn't "wowed" in his starts but has flashed the arm talent that Pickett unfortunately does not have. If Pickett didn't ask for a trade, he could be in the same position and proving himself as the Steelers starter right now.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and CJsE
I don't think anyone is really crowning Fields unless you consider people believe he hasn't lost the job to Wilson once he is healthy enough to be QB1. Fields hasn't "wowed" in his starts but has flashed the arm talent that Pickett unfortunately does not have. If Pickett didn't ask for a trade, he could be in the same position and proving himself as the Steelers starter right now.
Fields athleticism and arm strength is better, but we know it takes more than to be successful in the NFL

Last edited:
Nothing against Kenny at all.
To me it looks like Fields has worked extremely hard to change into the QB his OC wants him to be, fit into the system while tweaking some play calls to take advantage of his running skills, while becoming patient in the pocket and understanding the need to keep eyes up field on passing plays. He has failed in this league, knows how that feels, and seems determined to change that.

Pickett had more turnovers and sacks and a worse completion percentage. He also didn't add anything rushing that Fields has. Those stats you pasted clearly favor Fields.

Not sure how you logically come to that conclusion unless you only want to consider stats that favor your position while ignoring the others.

KP had more yards and TDs. He also played two of those games against top tier defenses with Matt Canada as his OC.

Fields has done what he's needed. Make a play once in a while and don't do anything to lose the game. It's the exact same thing they wanted and got from Pickett. It will work against mediocre teams with this defense, but they aren't beating anybody good on offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farnox and Fk_Pitt
Defense isn’t necessarily better but it certainly is healthier than last year. If it stays healthy maybe fields won’t be asked to do anything and the media can act like he’s some sort of godsend. In reality the defense completely emasculated the chargers in the second half and made the game very easy for fields.

If the stillers ask fields to do anything they are toast

Defense isn’t necessarily better but it certainly is healthier than last year. If it stays healthy maybe fields won’t be asked to do anything and the media can act like he’s some sort of godsend. In reality the defense completely emasculated the chargers in the second half and made the game very easy for fields.

If the stillers ask fields to do anything they are toast
The rubber will hit the road soon. Even If the defense can pull a 1976 type season I think both Tomlin streaks will continue. Fields can't beat an AFC playoff team unless it is Baltimore.

It's Tuesday. Fall has started. HS football seasons are almost half-way over. The leaves in the deep mountain valleys are beginning to flash their fall colors. And Pittsburgh still has a weekly obsession with a QB who hasn't been near the Steelers locker room since mid-March.

That's a bingo. Plus, the running game should be better as the year goes on…and Fields is a part of that run game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT