ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers Offense

It's very weird that's how you read that. The point is that Pickett's numbers were bad in a bad offense, and Fields' numbers are even worse by some measures in what seems an equally bad or worse offense. Folks were losing their minds last year over Pickett and Canada, but "really like what they're doing" with Fields and Smith? Fields is putting up Mark Malone numbers.

It makes no sense to me. Fields + Smith, Pickett + Canada, Roethlisberger + Fitchner/Canada...nothing much has changed except the names. Lots of bad offense. Which suggests it's the man in charge who wants it this way or doesn't know how to fix it, because Tomlin is the only real through line.

Fields has 42 NFL starts. He's turnover-prone, but why bubble wrap him like he's a 20 year old rookie? He threw for 4 TDs last year against the Broncos. Let him play and find out what you have. Unless he's regressed badly in much the way that Mitch T. did when he came to Pittsburgh. Which again suggests there's something in the water on the South Side.
I think they know what they have in Fields as he has a track record. The reason they are bubble wrapping him is they know if you cut him loose hes a Turnover machine. And while Tomlin and company deserve lots of criticism for the talent or lack of on the roster at the skill positions and the meh OC hire I think they way they are using Fields is smart given how good their defense is. They know Fields combined with the skill players they have are NOT going to score many points without giving the other teams offense more opportunities. The only criticism I have would be they need to call more RPO/Designed Runs for Fields to take advantage of his one significant skill set.

The die was cast when they hired Smith. The offense was going to involve a heavy dose of the run game and play action. It wasnt going to rely on the passing game and leaning on the talents of the QB and WRs.

Of all the guys Tomlin could have hired, he went with the approach hes comfortable with which is ultra conservative.

Don’t understand what the tears are about. Pittsburgh’s receivers are worse than what they had last season why did anyone expect improvement in the passing game?

Steelers defense is presently dominant BUT anyone who follows the Steelers knows what is coming and that is all I will say on that.

You keep believing this
But it’s simply. Not true
It’s a fact. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an apologist for mediocre Mike

Again Tomlin isn’t some wet behind the ears young coach with zero national cashe. Hes an alledged HOFer who would be snapped up by just about every other team Yet dopes like you make it seem like hes some wall flower whose powerless to choose his own staff to absolve him of any blame for his poor coaching hires

It's very weird that's how you read that. The point is that Pickett's numbers were bad in a bad offense, and Fields' numbers are even worse by some measures in what seems an equally bad or worse offense. Folks were losing their minds last year over Pickett and Canada, but "really like what they're doing" with Fields and Smith? Fields is putting up Mark Malone numbers.
Just like Mark Malone. Except for the completion rate, and the interceptions (Did Malone start a single game without throwing a pick?), and the rushing yards, and the passer rating.

The offense isn't good by any stretch and I'm hoping that they start to open it up. The big plays seem to be there but it seems like every time they are called back for some penalty or another. Watching the game there haven't really been many times where I see Fields really make a bad decision. A lot of that is they are protecting him, but hopefully that falls off.

Last edited:
Just like Mark Malone. Except for the completion rate, and the interceptions (Did Malone start a single game without throwing a pick?), and the rushing yards, and the passer rating.

The offense isn't good by any stretch and I'm hoping that they start to open it up. The big plays seem to be there but it seems like every time they are called back for some penalty or another. Watching the game there haven't really been many times where I see Fields really make a bad decision. A lot of that is they are protecting him, but hopefully that falls off.
I actually have been impressed with how the Steelers have massaged and rehabbed a left for dead QB in Fields. It's a shame they fed Kenny to the sharks in the media the way they did. Kid never really had a chance here with Canada and unlikely to get another shot as a starter if Hurts doesn't go down and give him a chance to showcase his stuff in an NFL offense. Fields has avoided his biggest criticism which have been sacks and turnovers. Kudos to the Steelers for finding a way to get his confidence back. Even the best offenses have put up pedestrian numbers so far so perhaps this plan could work 🫣

Reactions: CJsE
It’s a fact. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an apologist for mediocre Mike

Again Tomlin isn’t some wet behind the ears young coach with zero national cashe. Hes an alledged HOFer who would be snapped up by just about every other team Yet dopes like you make it seem like hes some wall flower whose powerless to choose his own staff to absolve him of any blame for his poor coaching hires
Which you base on what ?
The Rooneys simply don’t want to spend on a quality staff .
It’s why it’s so much smaller than every other teams staff .

You think Tomlin is some defacto GM and can dictate terms to the owner - because it’s what you want - to believe Tomlin is the problem .
It’s what you have always believed .
Fire Tomlin tomorrow for all I care .
My life won’t change a bit ,
And the problems with the Steelers offense will continue to exists .

Tomlin has been bringing in former NFL HCs to be OC (Haley and Smith). He’s also promoted from within to make his franchise QB happy with his QB coach)” (Finctner and Canada ).

I mean explain why the “front office “ let Bruce Arians go? Hint - Ben got hit too much .
Art 2 takes over fully in 2017.
When did the playoff futility start ?
Probably a coincidence !

I think they know what they have in Fields as he has a track record. The reason they are bubble wrapping him is they know if you cut him loose hes a Turnover machine. And while Tomlin and company deserve lots of criticism for the talent or lack of on the roster at the skill positions and the meh OC hire I think they way they are using Fields is smart given how good their defense is. They know Fields combined with the skill players they have are NOT going to score many points without giving the other teams offense more opportunities. The only criticism I have would be they need to call more RPO/Designed Runs for Fields to take advantage of his one significant skill set.

The die was cast when they hired Smith. The offense was going to involve a heavy dose of the run game and play action. It wasnt going to rely on the passing game and leaning on the talents of the QB and WRs.

Of all the guys Tomlin could have hired, he went with the approach hes comfortable with which is ultra conservative.
That approach get's you 9-8 with a first round playoff exit blowout! It used to be about Championships...now it's about participation trophies.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Which you base on what ?
The Rooneys simply don’t want to spend on a quality staff .
It’s why it’s so much smaller than every other teams staff .

Baloney. We've been over this. Tomlin is the 2nd highest paid coach in the NFL. And he has been in the top 5 for many years. If coaching resources were a problem, he could easily take less to hire a bigger staff. I bet if he only made $15 million per year instead of $20 million, they could add 10 or more people. If there's no budget to hire additional coaches, maybe he should be compensated more in line with the results he's delivered to the stakeholders of this team for the last 5+ years?

You think Tomlin is some defacto GM and can dictate terms to the owner - because it’s what you want - to believe Tomlin is the problem .
It’s what you have always believed .
Fire Tomlin tomorrow for all I care .
My life won’t change a bit ,
And the problems with the Steelers offense will continue to exists .

So in your world, Tomlin has no input on offensive coaching hires or personnel selection? Just so we're on the same page, can you explain where you think Tomlin's role and authority with the offense begins and ends?

Tomlin has been bringing in former NFL HCs to be OC (Haley and Smith). He’s also promoted from within to make his franchise QB happy with his QB coach)” (Finctner and Canada ).

So in between Todd Haley and Arthur Smith, was Tomlin hiring NFL OCs? Are we supposed to give him credit because he hired two guys with NFL OC experience in the last 15 years? One of which recently flamed out because of his refusal to feature the ample talent around him and inability to get quality QB play from a variety of players? The same struggle we're currently going through. We're supposed to be thrilled with that and with the results so far where we're basically second to last in every offensive stat?

And Tomlin didn't promote Canada from within. Tomlin hired Canada from the University of Maryland. Tomlin was the only one with a relationship with him, as Canada departed Pitt before Pickett got there. Canada is also currently unemployed FWIW. Because he was a terrible coordinator and never qualified for that job in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burgh15 and 303vND
Which you base on what ? LOGIC. Hes allegedly a HOF coach who can demand a high quality staff or walk and he’d have the support of the media. The ownership would get crushed

You think Tomlin is some defacto GM No Hes the HEAD Coach who could find another job anytime he wants. HE HIRES is staff

It was his choice to hire all those guys. But keep making excuses for poor mediocre Mike

Baloney. We've been over this. Tomlin is the 2nd highest paid coach in the NFL. And he has been in the top 5 for many years. If coaching resources were a problem, he could easily take less to hire a bigger staff. I bet if he only made $15 million per year instead of $20 million, they could add 10 or more people. If there's no budget to hire additional coaches, maybe he should be compensated more in line with the results he's delivered to the stakeholders of this team for the last 5+ years?

So in your world, Tomlin has no input on offensive coaching hires or personnel selection? Just so we're on the same page, can you explain where you think Tomlin's role and authority with the offense begins and ends?

So in between Todd Haley and Arthur Smith, was Tomlin hiring NFL OCs? Are we supposed to give him credit because he hired two guys with NFL OC experience in the last 15 years? One of which recently flamed out because of his refusal to feature the ample talent around him and inability to get quality QB play from a variety of players? The same struggle we're currently going through. We're supposed to be thrilled with that and with the results so far where we're basically second to last in every offensive stat?

And Tomlin didn't promote Canada from within. Tomlin hired Canada from the University of Maryland. Tomlin was the only one with a relationship with him, as Canada departed Pitt before Pickett got there. Canada is also currently unemployed FWIW. Because he was a terrible coordinator and never qualified for that job in the NFL.
Canada was hired as a qb coach as I noted .
Then promoted

The offense was not a problem until 3 -4years ago when Ben’s shoulder was hurt against Seattle .
The defense lost playoff games , not the offense .
Now the pendulum swung regarding talent .

Reactions: 303vND
an overhaul like that isnt happening under this current regime. you bring in a new coach, maybe but that's not happening so lets just accept the new steelers' standards..
Why? I can still follow the team and call what they do stupid, like I did when Duzz had that Cignetti garbage offense. All they need is a QB and some better receivers, it was only 5-6 years ago that they had one of the better passing offenses.

Why are the Steelers refusing to put Broderick Jones at LT? At this point, I think the coaches are just being stubborn.

Which means what?
Why isn’t the staff larger ?
What’s the budget Art2 is allotting?
Why are the facilities so terrible ?
You’re right one of the highest paid coach’s in the league and a HOFer is going to allow the owner to low ball him on his coaching staff. Thats a new level of stupid for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT