ADVERTISEMENT

Kade Bell - New OC - OFFICIAL

Regardless of what offense you run, I would prefer a little more experience.

He's at WCU running dad's offense,

Not to say it won't work or a bad hire. I'm open minded.

Makes me believe he nailed the interview. Unless Narduzzi is just really overcompensating for Cignesaurus.

I was hoping for Mack Leftwich after I learned more about him, but this is certainly an intriguing hire. I have no problem with Narduzzi “buying a lottery ticket” and hoping it pays off!

Reactions: Purdue_Panther
Regardless of what offense you run, I would prefer a little more experience.

He's at WCU running dad's offense,

Not to say it won't work or a bad hire. I'm open minded.
It’s not a great hire and it’s not a WTF hire. Certainly is intriguing and in that one interview he says all the right things.

Time will tell

Pretty big jump, especially since he coaches for his dad (former Gator QB) in the FCS.

How much does Kerwin make down there in Cullowhee?
Looks like he's only ever coached under his dad. Hopefully this is more Layne Kiffin than Jay Paterno.

I like the hire. Yes, it's a gamble, but I do like his offensive philosophy and results. I like his age too... nothing wrong with some young blood.

Here are some other sources:

Well I love the hire. I actually just met the guy last month while discussing options with their turf field. Was really nice and quick witted (at least that day). I’m absolutely shocked to be honest. Wouldn’t have picked this in a thousand years. I totally thought he would go old school big 10ish type
This has Heather Lyke written all over it btw

Last edited:
I was hoping for Mack Leftwich after I learned more about him, but this is certainly an intriguing hire. I have no problem with Narduzzi “buying a lottery ticket” and hoping it pays off!
This was my thought as well. Really liked Leftwich but am intrigued with this, it's so against what Nardo has done before. Hey, at the end of the day any OC that can do something different that run iso's into our own O line has my vote!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Yeah, thanked Duzz AND Heather. What’s puzzling is Duzz saying that Bell runs an offense that is hard to defend. Say what? I’ve maintained all along how Duzz could look at his offense as a defensive coordinator and not see how easy it was to defend. Sucks when the other guy knows what you’re going to run. Yet his hires were just the opposite. Go figure. It should be hard for college kids to prepare in one week for an opponent. Wasn’t hard at all lately with Pitt’s O.

Duzz gets it. This hire is acknowledgement his offense needed to go in a different direction and his team needs to evolve. This is a promising hire as it shows he can admit mistakes and Change. Kudos to the HC.

Reactions: 4upmc
Duzz gets it. This hire is acknowledgement his offense needed to go in a different direction and his team needs to evolve. This is a promising hire as it shows he can admit mistakes and Change. Kudos to the HC.
That was my reaction too. No idea if this guy will be a star or bomb but seems to indicate Duzz realized that he needed to shake it up a bit.

Reactions: Dan1911
If he can convince all those skilled players in south Florida to come to Pitt instead of FSU, Miami or UF, then brace yourself for what this may become!

Reactions: pittmaninwv
I wonder if
If he can convince all those skilled players in south Florida to come to Pitt instead of FSU, Miami or UF, then brace yourself for what this may become!

Well, that's not going to happen. However, if we can pick up additional skill players out of FL, all the better.

That was my reaction too. No idea if this guy will be a star or bomb but seems to indicate Duzz realized that he needed to shake it up a bit.
Yup. This at least lays to rest a bit that he’s a dinosaur stuck in his ways. It certainly is an intriguing hire. Time will tell how good it is

Never heard of him but I like it. I mentioned before that I wanted to see Narduzzi do something different. I didn't post this part but I was kinda hoping he'd hire one of those young "nerdy" offensive "experts." I dont know if this guy is that but you look around college football and you see these young guys doing innovative things.

Duzz has never been against a spread oriented coach. Where that nonsense started, I have no idea.

He values a productive run game.

He values a pass game that mirrors the run game. This was a major complaint against the Whipple tenure. There was a disconnect between the 2 and what was seen 2021 was probably not going to be sustainable year in and year out unless you had an experienced stud QB and a guy like JA.

Kade has roots in the pro-style scheme.

He uses multiple personnel which is good for our TE's/H's.

He utilizes both gap and zone.

He has roots in FLA..

He's not going to make the QB run 400 yards a game going back and forth to the sideline just to get a play from the OC.

Kade checked off the boxes..

The thing I like about what Bell is saying is that he goes fast, but can slow it down when necessary.

Hey, Graham's offense could slow down too. Why in that Iowa game, instead of snapping the ball with 30 seconds on the play clock we were running it all the way down to 28!

Well, Bell did say that they don’t go uptempo every play or series. Sometimes they will need to go fast and other times they will need to slow it down. So in that regard, he’s NOT like Todd Graham!!
Should we expect our QB to punt on third down like Graham?

Duzz has never been against a spread oriented coach. Where that nonsense started, I have no idea.

He values a productive run game.

He values a pass game that mirrors the run game. This was a major complaint against the Whipple tenure. There was a disconnect between the 2 and what was seen 2021 was probably not going to be sustainable year in and year out unless you had an experienced stud QB and a guy like JA.

Kade has roots in the pro-style scheme.

He uses multiple personnel which is good for our TE's/H's.

He utilizes both gap and zone.

He has roots in FLA..

He's not going to make the QB run 400 yards a game going back and forth to the sideline just to get a play from the OC.

Kade checked off the boxes..
He literally hired as his first offensive coordinator at Pitt Jim Chaney, who was best known for what? The spread offense at Purdue.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
The previous nine years.

He literally hired as his first offensive coordinator at Pitt Jim Chaney, who was best known for what? The spread offense at Purdue.
Chaney had not been running that offense for years.

Reactions: cashisking884
The previous nine years.

Chaney had not been running that offense for years.
Where has Duzz said he's against formations and personnel groupings?

Chaney didn't run the exact same scheme he ran at Purdue, but he surely didn't give up on his spread element. The traditional term "spread" was offensive football that was typically 10 or 11 personnel. People over the years have convoluted the term. "Pro-style" typically was associated with 21 personnel as a base with multiple personnel groupings. His passing concepts didn't veer off at Tennessee nor Arkansas as to what he did at Purdue. He just ran the ball more because they could recruit for it. What he did at Purdue was out of necessity.

Let’s not get too carried away here. That’s sheer absurdity. I’m just happy we’re gonna see some new life in the offense.

One thing I loved in one of his videos was saying they could play fast at 90 plays a game or slow down to 70 plays a game.

Playing at higher tempo gives you a ton of advantages including more opportunities to get the ball in the hands of your playmakers.

Jurassic Cignetti has Pitt as the 3rd lowest offensive plays per game in division 1 averaging 60 plays per game and even worse over the last 3.

I would have preferred Mack Leftwich but Pitt doesn't really recruit Texas so go with the Florida guy and trust talent.

And to hell with the 70s control the clock run the clock offenses.

On the surface, I kinda like the hire. Young guy. Seems to run a modern college offense. Obviously, the proof is in the pudding.

Cruzer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT