ADVERTISEMENT

Kade Bell - New OC - OFFICIAL

Kelly had also been an OC for a long time, running his offense. And then went to be OC for a team that was being led by what most considered an elite offensive mind.

The concern with Bell is not just that he doesn’t have any FBS experience, he doesn’t have much experience period. And he isn’t necessarily the genius behind it. Western Carolina probably doesn’t care much about losing the son, because the offense is the father’s. Much like Oregon probably wouldn’t have cared if Kelly lost his OC during their run.

Now, I think Kendall Briles is the best OC in college football. So certainly a son stepping out of the shadow of his dad and running the offense just as well, can work.

But there’s always a concern when you’re hiring the OC of an offensive HC, and to what extent that OC is actually the offensive genius making it work.
That's my concern as well. I mean seriously, why not just hire Kerwin?

MV5BYmUxN2EzMzktZGZlMi00NzNkLThmMDItMzFkNmQ4MjQ1OWJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkzOTQzMjE@._V1_.jpg
That's my concern as well. I mean seriously, why not just hire Kerwin?
Maybe while we’re at it we should get some even older guys than we have to coach the D, the OL, RBs, TEs etc. I mean those old guys have just been killing it.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
No, the guys aren't in the portal. It's literally a tweet saying they are coming back. It's just annoying this is where the sport is right now.
Its Alliance 412 announcing their sponsorship. There would be no sponsorship if they weren't coming back to Pitt. It has nothing to do with their portal status.

Fellows….I think part of the hire is that he come from good stock. Let’s look at coaches (under head coaches) that have the potential to develop. I am critical of PITT on many levels but they are not cheap. They will pay for a good coach.

Of course if someone posts that the sun rises in the East there would be a 6 page thread debating it on this board.

Pitt football needed to shake off the rust and stagnation and freshen things up. The program needs to get younger and more dynamic, not older and more generic. This hire was a strong move in the right direction. FWIW, I don’t think Lyke had any influence on this at all. I don’t think Duzzi needed anyone to tell him that his offense needs to score a lot more than it has the past two years.

Hopefully a couple of these other old set in their ways guys get put out to pasture as well. Borbs, Powell, Salem come to mind.

I’m not sure any position has been more mismanaged than the RB position under Powell, and special teams have largely been an embarrassment.

Reactions: pittbb80
Maybe while we’re at it we should get some even older guys than we have to coach the D, the OL, RBs, TEs etc. I mean those old guys have just been killing it.
I think you totally missed the point. Age has nothing to do with it. Zero P5 experience & it's his dad's offense.

Sorry if I don't find his stand alone work with the Tusculum Pioneers a confidence builder.

Pitt wasn’t gonna get a guy with a lot of experience running a highly productive offense. Plus even if Bell didn’t design the offense, he has been working with it for years and has been the one calling the plays the last couple.

This may not work out, that’s always a risk with a OC hire, but this was the direction Pitt needed to go in. Hopefully if all goes well in 2 years we’re constantly worried about trying to hold onto him.
Pitt isn't holding on to him. He's going to either be fired if it doesn't work out or move on if he's successful. You don't move up the career ladder or maximize your salary remaining at one place for very long as a coordinator.

Reactions: Purdue_Panther
Was Kenny Johnson in the transfer portal? I saw where he announced he was coming back. I just thought it strange and an example of what college FB has come to, a true freshman having to announce he’s coming back.

But it makes sense if he had previously announced he was entering the transfer portal. I guessed I missed that prior announcement.

I'm sorry. The article confused me. It said that he would have had a robust transfer portal.

I just didn't consider that someone who's already here would have to announce he was staying here. I figured that would be the logical default and would go without saying.

It's a brave new world.

I believe it is a good hire, I was responding to the notion that people love teams that throw , go fast etc.,because in truth the bottom line is winning , that is the only thing that keeps most fans happy.........'79 says he cares not about winning only that they have offense miles away from "three yards and a cloud of dust" ( my interpretation of what he meant)
I want to win, but the only good Pitt season in recent memory was when Kenny was throwing 4 TD passes per game, not when Duzz was pounding the rock.

Pitt isn't holding on to him. He's going to either be fired if it doesn't work out or move on if he's successful. You don't move up the career ladder or maximize your salary remaining at one place for very long as a coordinator.
And we hope he moves on to a bigger fish and Narduzzi (or Lyke) can keep identifying young talent who wants to come here.

Kelly had also been an OC for a long time, running his offense. And then went to be OC for a team that was being led by what most considered an elite offensive mind.

The concern with Bell is not just that he doesn’t have any FBS experience, he doesn’t have much experience period. And he isn’t necessarily the genius behind it. Western Carolina probably doesn’t care much about losing the son, because the offense is the father’s. Much like Oregon probably wouldn’t have cared if Kelly lost his OC during their run.

Now, I think Kendall Briles is the best OC in college football. So certainly a son stepping out of the shadow of his dad and running the offense just as well, can work.

But there’s always a concern when you’re hiring the OC of an offensive HC, and to what extent that OC is actually the offensive genius making it work.

Agree with everything you've said. The hope is that being in the same room as a smart person with a fresh philosophy helped rub off some of those ideas onto you. Probably a sound idea. Worth a try over a retread like Cignetti who coordinated some of the most stale offenses that I can think of (Boston College and Jeff Fisher Rams). That dude is the definition of "nothing tried, nothing gained."

I think it's an open question about whether the jump from FCS to P5 is too big for him. It's certainly a jump. But a lot of college football these days is about: 1) talent; and 2) scheme. Rumors are that this dude helps with both. My hope is that our improvement in #2 is significant enough that it covers some of the growing pains on the technical coaching details that he may not have today but could develop in the future.

Him running "daddy offense" doesn't concern me a bit. He's played in it and coached in it. That gives him a unique advantage that most coaches don't have. When you combine that experience that is what - 13 years experience?

The level he's coached at doesn't concern me either. Brent Dearmon and Matt Drinkall are 2 of the most copied coaches in offensive football that no one knows about. The stuff that all these big time coaches copy are from when Dearmon and Drinkall were coaching at NAIA and lower level NCAA schools. If you can coach, you can coach.

I want to win, but the only good Pitt season in recent memory was when Kenny was throwing 4 TD passes per game
I get it. Funny thing is I stated several times that I hated Whipple's offense but I don't care because his offense is scoring!

I get it. Funny thing is I stated several times that I hated Whipple's offense but I don't care because his offense is scoring!
Why did you hate that offense then? it was one of the rare enjoyable offensive seasons in decades. It was fun passing the ball downfield and scoring TDs fast and often for a change.

If you can coach, you can coach.

sure, but there are things fans look for to signal that you can.

Experience.

Situation you were in and what you produced compared to what the average person could have.

How often you’ve repeated it at other stops.

You affirmatively answer these things, and the “welp, he can coach” is more easy to proclaim.

I just don’t think he checks these boxes that strongly yet. It’s more of a wild card, and Narduzzi hoping he’s landed a stud before others realize it.

Which, is exactly what he should be doing. And is going to require him to make these kind of gambles.

I like it. It’s out of the box, almost even gimmicky. The retread hiring philosophy has been mostly a fail forever here. Do it on defense too.

I think you totally missed the point. Age has nothing to do with it. Zero P5 experience & it's his dad's offense.

Sorry if I don't find his stand alone work with the Tusculum Pioneers a confidence builder.
Here's the real point--where is Pitt going to get the kind of dynamic, talented, creative, successful and highly experienced P5 OC you seem to think we should have hired?

I can answer that--nowhere.

So the pool of P5 experienced OCs that;s realistically out there for Pitt is pretty much the Cignettis, Watsons, Whipples, Chaneys, etc. Other program's discards. Same old same old.

That's not the direction Pitt football needs to go in. This is.

My preference would have been Yurcich. But just no way Pitt could hire him after he was fired from PSU. Talk about being viewed as PSU ugly stepsister again. Love this hire though. No clue if it will succeed. Time will tell.

Our offense was so moribund last season that I'm willing to take a chance on a 1aa coach with a more exciting, less predictable offense. Yes, he lacks 1a experience and there may be growing pains, but I'm willing to take the chance as opposed to treading water.

I watched a couple Western Carolina games on YouTube just to get a feel for his offense. I liked what I saw.
On 1st down, he frequently passed. On 1st and 10 near their own end zone, they were willing to pass, rather than just trying to run it out.

When they were up by 51 in the 4th quarter, they weren't just burning clock, they were still trying to score. Refreshing.

Most of the time, the QB was in the shotgun with 1 RB by his side. The RB either blocked, took the handoff, or ran out for a pass. Sometimes, he dashed out into the flat for a safe dump-off. The receivers lined up in various configurations, with anywhere from 3-5 wideouts on a given play.

All in all, it was an offense that's fun to watch, and that's built to move down the field. Long vertical passes were not unusual at all on any down and distance. The running game seemed to work pretty well also because the defense never knew what was coming.

Again, I have no idea how it will work against FBS teams, but I'm eager to see the effort. I think the offensive players will enjoy it, and it should make Pitt more attractive to skill players. Narducci, on the other hand, will likely be nervous with this style of play, but we're aware that the old style just wasn't working.

Pitt's offensive line is going to have to improve its play. The Western Carolina QB almost always had 3-4 seconds to throw. The QB wasn't shy about running if everyone was covered after 3 seconds. I can't wait to get the new year going, which is something I couldn't say a month ago.

Let's go, Pitt.

Pitt's offensive line is going to have to improve its play. The Western Carolina QB almost always had 3-4 seconds to throw. The QB wasn't shy about running if everyone was covered after 3 seconds. I can't wait to get the new year going, which is something I couldn't say a month ago.

Let's go, Pitt.
Yep, this is the top priority otherwise the offense won't work. A start would be to stick with the same starting five (assuming they're all healthy). Consistently having the same starters makes a huge difference. It may take 5-6 weeks before it starts to click, so every time you change a piece the clock restarts.

So you're saying that not once the running back sat down and drank a cup of coffee or took out his cell phone and texted his mom?

Well that's a start!

:p
What I meant to convey was that the RB (blocking black) released for a dump-off pass if the defender got past him.

I never saw the RB get out his phone, but I'll review the tape again to see if I missed that.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Yep, this is the top priority otherwise the offense won't work. A start would be to stick with the same starting five (assuming they're all healthy). Consistently having the same starters makes a huge difference. It may take 5-6 weeks before it starts to click, so every time you change a piece the clock restarts.
I'm not making excuses but the line had an incredible amount of injuries this year. Right out of the gate we had issues. You have to think we will have improvement once they are healthy.

I think Jerry D’s article on Kerwin and Kade Bell in today’s Trib is pretty good. Especially like their take on what they consider a good QB or the type of QB they’re looking for.

It will be interesting to see whom if any new QB Kade brings in this year. Although I could possibly see Yarnell fitting the description of the type of QB they’re looking for.

Reactions: SteelCityChamps
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT