ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Gorman: Pitt's Biggest Problem? An Identity Crisis, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
What an Indictment of Pederson's Poison & Consultants! Now Heather thinks Oregon built its Program on just Nike Uniforms???? First, Oregon found a Great Coach that won, Nike was the Big Booster that Paid For Some Great Facilities On Campus before changing Uniforms? Heather needs to find Boosters for Pitt to do it, not just change uniforms because Nike is doing another study????
Excerpt:

Five thoughts on Pitt athletic director Heather Lyke's roundtable with reporters:

1. Heather Lyke touched on a number of topics Tuesday, but the one that means the most is that she understands Pitt's biggest problem. And it's not whether the university needs an on-campus football stadium, should return to its royal blue and gold color scheme or even the state of the basketball programs.

It's an identity crisis.

Since the late 1990s, the university has had an inner conflict: Is it Pitt or the University of Pittsburgh? Is the primary logo a Panther head, block Pitt or script Pitt? Are the uniform colors navy and Vegas gold or royal blue and Pittsburgh gold?

It's not just a branding issue — which Lyke said Nike is studying Pitt's script — but something that has sidetracked previous administrations and split the fan base. These problems were self-inflicted and unnecessary, and they did some damage to the university's image. Lyke said Pitt will wear its throwback uniforms twice in football season and has had talks about whether to return to its old color scheme.

“I'm partial to a look, a look that distinguishes you,” Lyke said. “To 14- to 22-year olds, gear is important. Swag is a thing. A unique uniform can add to the level of excitement. The whole thing, if you look good, you play good. They are going to wear the throwbacks twice. But I do think there is value in having a defined color.”

Personally, now that Pitt has returned to the script logo, I'd prefer to see the Panthers embrace Oregon's approach. Pitt basketball has worn royal, navy, black, white and gold uniforms. Why can't the football program mix and match and try some new looks, so long as they involve the script?

LINK:
http://triblive.com/sports/kevingor...rman-pitts-biggest-problem-an-identity-crisis

Last edited:
Heather seems to wants to be a Decorator Dresser? So, Nike Studies Pitt Uniforms and colors will just put Pitt Money in Nike's Pockets? Don't mind her Nike Studies it, but prefer she starts looking for building more Pitt Sponsors, Boosters, and Benefactors, like an All Aluminum ALCOA Dome Stadium with Silicon Valley Sponsors like Stadford renovations reduced to 50,000. Property is right there on Fifth and Negley and City will help Alcoa do it too. UPMC Southside Practice Facilities can be sold to Pitt Alumnus Art Rooney!
Excerpts:
A look inside the $68M Oregon Ducks football center:
In a play to recruit top football talent, the University of Oregon — thanks solely to the philanthropy of Nike's chairman — went all out with a jaw-dropping, future-gazing structure dubbed the Football Performance Center.
LINKS:
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...13/08/a-look-inside-the-68m-oregon-ducks.html

Oregon's Football Facility: Behind the Scenes
SI Link:

Stanford New Stadium:

Last edited:
Pitt needs to stop with the "overthinking" of the uniforms - it happened before Steve, but it was really on display with the "Tourchcut" unis. I thought that had stopped when Steve was shone the door, but last season's numbers in a font to represent the arches in the Cathedral were just another example of how not to put a football uniform together.

I thought Pitt was close to right (other than the Script throwback) with the former uniforms - the numbers on the former unis was a whole lot better.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Pitt needs to stop with the "overthinking" of the uniforms - it happened before Steve, but it was really on display with the "Tourchcut" unis. I thought that had stopped when Steve was shone the door, but last season's numbers in a font to represent the arches in the Cathedral were just another example of how not to put a football uniform together.

I thought Pitt was close to right (other than the Script throwback) with the former uniforms - the numbers on the former unis was a whole lot better.
Heather looks to be making the same mistakes, if Peduto wants Pittsburgh to be the Future, then start with University's Meds & Eds, and cut the other crap, UPMC, ALCOA, CMU, APPLE are here and Smart Mayors get it done, and if can't, then vote for a New One!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT