ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Stallings Part Deaux

Schmidt is the one candidate who is worse than Stallings.

Wow.

Only at Pitt.

I’d put him above Brandin Knight only.

Unbelievable, they show they’re serious with the $3M offer to Hurley then turn to Mark freaking Schmidt?

Hopefully this isn’t true.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Part of me is intrigued to see this just for the press conference. How do you explain this hire?!

Everyone needs to immediately protest if this happens.pitt doesn't deserve a single fan in the stands ever again if they seriously consider this bozo.

Probably no initial interest from other parties. Search comm just serving up who they can.

Are you telling me Earl Grant, Ryan Odom, or Nate Oates wouldn't come here for $2 million a year? Anyone of those would at least energize us and give us hope. Mark Schmidt's resume makes Kevin Stallings' look like John Wooden's.

Reactions: PittPoker
Honestly, I'd rather get Brandon Knight.

I know I would.

I mean Knight would be an awful hire, but with Schmidt you know exactly what you are getting and it's not good. It is at least theoretically possible that Knight might turn out to be a good head coach. There is no chance Schmidt turns out that way.

Reactions: Pittx9
You would be better off hiring Mike Rice, and then use the extra money you saved on facility upgrades for the football program.

I’d put him above Brandin Knight only.

Unbelievable, they show they’re serious with the $3M offer to Hurley then turn to Mark freaking Schmidt?

Hopefully this isn’t true.

Was gonna say basically the same thing. If the numbers for Hurley’s offers were true and we end up with Schmidt that’s saying quite a lot. And none of it is good.

OK. Why is he worse than Stallings? Because he doesn't personally appeal to you?

Now Pitt fans are whining just to make noise.

Reactions: upj87
This hire would obviously be what it is...what's worse? Maybe everyone else said thanks, but no thanks?

I consider myself to generally be fairly level headed.

For the life of me, if true, I can't defend this ridiculous potential hire at all. There is no way you can convince me that Mark freaking Schmidt is the best we can do offering $3 million for a HC in the ACC. And if it is, Stallings should have been retained. This is downright awful.

I have mentioned it a couple times in other threads and I am dead serious when I say this.... Of all the candidates mentioned so far, in my opinion, he is the 2nd worst ahead of only Jent. And actually thinking it through, he is probably worse than Jent because at least with Jent there is an unknown. Maybe he miracously is a stud coach no one really knows about.

I would have preferred keeping Stallings over him. I would have preferred hiring Brandon Knight(am I am dead set against that also for the record) over him, hell I would have preferred hiring Mike Rice over him as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

This would be an abortion of a hire. If it happens, I am out. I can't support a program that would make this hire in anyway, not financially(which admittedly they won't miss what I give as I am not a big donor by any means) and not emotionally either. This would be my red line. If he proves me wrong and starts winning in a few years, then I will jump back on the bandwagon. But for now if this happens, I am out. No more season tickets, no more being emotionally invested into this program until they prove me wrong.

This would be a huge mistake.

I was in favor of making a move but if Schmidt is the replacement then they should have just stuck with Stallings.

You don't take on the issue of Stallings huge buyout to hire Mark Schmidt.

I couldnt agree more. Why not just stick with Stallings if this is where you ultimately were planning to go? Even the people on the Bonnie board are shocked. They are saying he has to take the Pitt job if offered...because their program is due to take a step back and he could be fired in then next couple of years anyway! Sound familiar?!!

I really wondered if they pursued Hurley knowing he wouldn't take the job just to falsely prove they were going to pay big money for a big coach with the idea to fall back on a cheap option like this. If so that's very sad and disheartening.

According to several sources (Adam Zagoria and NYT) Pitt is targeting Mark Schmidt. Let the meltdown commence.
I don’t know if he’s worse than Stallings or not, but his resume certainly is.
why does no one say what the hell is wrong with the guy?

who out there that is a potential candidate that has some stellar resume? whatever the hell that even means...

The guy finished 1st or second two of the last three years in his conference and has 20+ wins in that span. The guy from Buffalo has a nice season and wins a tourney game and he is a savior but this guy is causing Pitt fans to flee into the night....

Honestly, I'd rather get Brandon Knight.

I know I would.

I mean Knight would be an awful hire, but with Schmidt you know exactly what you are getting and it's not good. It is at least theoretically possible that Knight might turn out to be a good head coach. There is no chance Schmidt turns out that way.

If you are going to go with an undeserving candidate, I'd go with BK, Toole, or Dambrot over Schmidt.

I couldnt agree more. Why not just stick with Stallings if this is where you ultimately go. Even the people on the Bonnie board are shocked saying he has to take the Pitt job if offered because their program is due to take a step back and he could be fired in then next couple of years.
He's old enough that I think the goodwill that making the tourney earned him enough rope to ride that job out through retirement.

why does not one say what the hell is wrong with the guy?

who out there that is a potential candidate that has some stellar resume? whatever the hell that even means...

The guy finished 1st or second two of the last three years in his conference and has 20+ wins in that span. The guy from Buffalo has a nice season and wins a tourney game and he is a savior but this guy is causing Pitt fans to flee into the night....
You can like him for all of us.

why does not one say what the hell is wrong with the guy?

The guy in Buffalo has made the tournament twice in his first three years. Schmidt has been to the tournament only twice in his whole (almost 20 year long) career!

OK. Why is he worse than Stallings? Because he doesn't personally appeal to you?

Now Pitt fans are whining just to make noise.
they seem to be struggling with these question marks...I just want to know why I have to hate the man.

He has 2 tourney appearances in almost 20 years.

Oates has been to tourney last two years and his team should be favored again next season to return again. And Oates is 12 years younger.

I don't think Oates is a sure thing by any means but he is certainly a better candidate than Mark Schmidt.

272-242 career record

2 NCAA tournaments in 17 years

Under .500 in 8 of those seasons

55 years old, not about to evolve

Has no business getting an ACC job at this point, absolutely none

The guy in Buffalo has made the tournament twice in his first three years. Schmidt has been to the tournament only twice in his whole (almost 20 year long) career!
oh, ok....that is the clincher. I will hate Schmidt now and stop being a Pitt bball fan should he be hired. .

they seem to be struggling with these question marks...I just want to know why I have to hate the man.
Quick question? Are you in Junior High? Who asked you to hate the man? He may be a fine man, terrible hire though. But you seem to want to go and make this an emotional issue.

Reactions: PittPoker
No one should hate Mark Schmidt. I'm sure he is a very nice man. But they can certainly be concerned severely about this hire. He is like Kevin Stallings lite and would be totally over his head at Pitt. My only hope is that he just interviewed and that's it.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
272-242 career record

2 NCAA tournaments in 17 years

Under .500 in 8 of those seasons

55 years old, not about to evolve

Has no business getting an ACC job at this point, absolutely none
ok now we are going with Robert Morris NCAA bid stats. I see 20+ wins the last three years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT