ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Stallings Part Deaux

This program is like the pirates,say all the right things and do all the wrong things,they could care less if you attend or not,it's not going to stop them from operating like they do

ok now we are going with Robert Morris NCAA bid stats. I see 20+ wins the last three years.

He only made the tournament this year. They weren't in the NIT or NCAA tourney last year and lost in the first round of the NIT the year before.

He only won 20 games once in his first 8 years there.

ok now we are going with Robert Morris NCAA bid stats. I see 20+ wins the last three years.

Funny you should mention that.

Seems like everyone else that’s been at Robert Morris has achieved NCAA bids except for him.

I see you’re trying to be contrarian, but the guy would be a horrible hire.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
This program is like the pirates,say all the right things and do all the wrong things,they could care less if you attend or not,it's not going to stop them from operating like they do

Then they should have just saved the 10 million and rode it out with Stallings.

Quick question? Are you in Junior High? Who asked you to hate the man? He may be a fine man, terrible hire though. But you seem to want to go and make this an emotional issue.
uh, no. no more Junior High...its all Middle School nowadays....sure do miss Junior High Quiz on Channel 4 though..Ricky whats-her-name was the host back in the day. Anybody remember? Good time, good times.......ok, now I will try again...Why all the hate 'over the potential hire' in that everyone here, at least early on has expressed utter horror without a reason or explanation as to why he is so, so much worse that the limited options presently available?...better?

I picture Chuck Heston at the end of the Planet of the Apes...."My God, we could have had the MAC coach from Buffalo and we blew it. Damn you, damn you all to hell!"

why does no one say what the hell is wrong with the guy?

who out there that is a potential candidate that has some stellar resume? whatever the hell that even means...

The guy finished 1st or second two of the last three years in his conference and has 20+ wins in that span. The guy from Buffalo has a nice season and wins a tourney game and he is a savior but this guy is causing Pitt fans to flee into the night....
He's an old guy with limited upside. If Pitt was in a position where they had been a bottom feeder for a decade, say like DePaul, I'd have no problem with a guy like Schmidt, because I'd be happy with a couple of NITs, and maybe one NCAA in his first 6-7 years, but since we haven't been a bottom dweller. no one is looking for what he brings to the table. I'd just as soon hire Toole as him. I was joking about Steve Lavin in another thread. Honestly, I'd pick Lavin up from the airport if it would keep them from doing this. At least Lavin would get us to the NCAAs.

Funny you should mention that.

Seems like everyone else that’s been at Robert Morris has achieved NCAA bids except for him.

I see you’re trying to be contrarian, but the guy would be a horrible hire.

Yep, don't waste your breath. This is his only intention.

uh, no. no more Junior High...its all Middle School nowadays....sure do miss Junior High Quiz on Channel 4 thought..Ricky whats-her-name was the host back in the day.Good time, good times.......ok, now I will try again...Why all the hate 'over the potential hire' in that everyone here, at least early on has expressed utter horror without a reason or explanation as to why he is so, so much worse that the limited options presently available...better?
It's been explained numerous times, you're just being willfully ignant.

Reactions: PittPoker
Pitt should've hired a young guy last time around. OK, they didn't. It could've worked going old...it didn't. It's inconceivable that they would even consider hiring another old guy at the end of his career to replace Stallings.
Can't let fans make the hire for you, but since fan disinterest and unwillingness to buy tickets was a factor in Stallings getting canned, you've got to hire someone who will excite rather than further depress them.
Here's hoping they leaked interest in Schmidt to set us up for another hire they're going to make, to make the actual hire look so much better.

Heather Lyke won't last 2 more years if she hires this dude. I will have completely lost all interest in Pitt hoops, and the evisceration of the program will be complete.

Do people troll sportswriters, claiming to be inside sources? This has to be what is happening here, I can't believe Lyke could be this tone-deaf.

God forgive me for saying this as I’ve ripped on these 2 for years but Lorenzo Romar and Mark Gottfried would be way better choices than Schmidt. At least they’ve actually achieved something and know how to recruit elite talent.

Romar just signed with Pepperdine.

Gottfried just signed with Cal Northridge.

Either of those 2 guys would’ve came to Pitt.

I couldnt agree more. Why not just stick with Stallings if this is where you ultimately were planning to go? Even the people on the Bonnie board are shocked. They are saying he has to take the Pitt job if offered...because their program is due to take a step back and he could be fired in then next couple of years anyway! Sound familiar?!!

I really wondered if they pursued Hurley knowing he wouldn't take the job just to falsely prove they were going to pay big money for a big coach with the idea to fall back on a cheap option like this. If so that's very sad and disheartening.
Because Stallings proved a failure

Yep, don't waste your breath. This is his only intention.
yes, I must get in line with the mob lest I be a contrarian (me and maybe the homicidal lunatics working with Pitt athletics that would do this to you guys).but at least I am not one of the "if they do this I will never watch Pitt again" crowd...you guys on the other hand can predict the future so I cannot compete with that...

However, since you possess this fascinating power would you enlighten me on a potential hire (not a pipe dream hire but the current crop of stiffs out there) that you are certain would be better than this guy....other than age.

Last edited:
Heather Lyke won't last 2 more years if she hires this dude. I will have completely lost all interest in Pitt hoops, and the evisceration of the program will be complete.

Absolutely. I cannot imagine how disasterous the press conference announcing this guy will go if he is the hire.

In addition, it would not put a single additional fannny in an empty Pete seat. It might even lead to more season ticket non-renewals.

Last edited:
I know I would.

I mean Knight would be an awful hire, but with Schmidt you know exactly what you are getting and it's not good. It is at least theoretically possible that Knight might turn out to be a good head coach. There is no chance Schmidt turns out that way.
Exactly. Schmidt is a better coach right now, obviously. But he brings absolutely nothing to Pitt. Honestly the unknown of Brandin knight as a head coach would bring more people to the Pete than Schmidt would. If Schmidt is the coach, maybe 100 people at the first home game.

Pitt doesn't need a coach.

We need a hot name, and one that recruit 4 star prospects.

That's the path out of this mess. Boring, geriatric program architects are great, but NOT what Pitt... what PITT needs this very moment.

You don't fire Stallings to hire someone like Mark Schmidt.

Frankly, this is a terrible waste of resources throwing away $10 million on a buyout to make this hire. Just flat out awful if this becomes reality.
This is the most common sense statement I've seen posted related to the Schmidt to Pitt subject.

yes, I must get in line with the mob lest I be a contrarian.but at least I am not one of the "if they do this I will never watch Pitt again" crowd...you guys on the other hand can predict the future so I cannot compete with that...

However, since you possess this fascinating power would you enlighten me on a potential hire (not a pipe dream hire but the current crop of stiffs out there) that you are certain would be better than this guy....other than age.

You are right... This guy is a fantastic hire. It makes total sense to waste a $10 million buy out to hire a guy like this who is barely .500 coach, who made the NCAA tourney twice in his career. And before you bring up where he is coaching, know that both coaches at RMU who followed him had more success. This guy is not qualified to be a head coach in the ACC.

Better options in my opinion is just about anybody you want to list. I would have preferred Oates, Grant, Mussleman, and as I mentioned even Knight. I refuse to believe no one would take this job with $3 million salary.

And while I admit you don't make hires solely based on Fan reaction, after having about 800 people a game in attendance last year because the fans hated the coach, hiring someone this unpopular would be an absolute distaster across the board.

why does no one say what the hell is wrong with the guy?

who out there that is a potential candidate that has some stellar resume? whatever the hell that even means...

The guy finished 1st or second two of the last three years in his conference and has 20+ wins in that span. The guy from Buffalo has a nice season and wins a tourney game and he is a savior but this guy is causing Pitt fans to flee into the night....
You , Heather and Gallagher can hold hands in the Pete...

I want to refuse to believe this is possible but who knows......

Common sense tells you that you don't go from giving up $10 million in buyouts, to offering $3 million for a HR hire in Hurley to a dud of a hire like this that the entire fan base will hate.

They can't possibly be this inept as an Athletic Department even knowing our history.

I am hoping Schmidt's agent leaked this to get his client a raise or something. Or maybe Pitt was considering him and they leaked it to gauge the fan reaction.

You , Heather and Gallagher can hold hands in the Pete...
or you can answer my questions...I just want some more info before I join the inquisition here... So far it is he sucks because we say he sucks and if you do not get in line to admit he sucks you are a douche and a 3,200 post troll. . If someone, anyone could tell me of a sure thing absolute will be a winner here that is currently out there, I am all ears...

I don’t know.
I have no opinion on him because he’s not on my radar.
It’s certainly not sexy

But I’m not going to freak out based on rumors

I'm just asking you if they did hire Schmidt would you approve. You were against the Stallings hire because of his mediocre record. This guy has an even worse record. So wondering why you seem ambivalent about this potential hire when it seems to be as worse if not worse that Stallings?

or you can answer my questions...I just want some more info before I join the inquisition here... So far it is he sucks because we say he sucks and if you do not get in line to admit he sucks you are a douche and a 3,200 post troll. . If someone, anyone could tell me of a sure thing absolute will be a winner here that is currently out there, I am all ears...

Or you can continue to ignore why people have pointed out that he is a terrible choice. Like someone posted above,which I will post again below in regards to his awful resume.

There is absolutely nothing in his resume that puts a shot in the arm to this program and this fanbase at a time when it is desperately needed.

And yeah I know he has coached in tough places but both Rice and Toole have had much more success than he did at Robert Morris.

272-242 career record

2 NCAA tournaments in 17 years

Under .500 in 8 of those seasons

55 years old, not about to evolve

Simply, you can't buy out a guy for $10M and then make this hire. You have to know that before you fire Stallings or wait another year. They somehow may hire a guy that sells less tickets.

I'm holding out hope that Pitt cannot botch this hire worse than the last one.

I'm just asking you if they did hire Schmidt would you approve. You were against the Stallings hire because of his mediocre record. This guy has an even worse record. So wondering why you seem ambivalent about this potential hire when it seems to be as worse if not worse that Stallings?
I was opposed to Stallings because he’s an a-hole and below mediocre for the past decade.

I can’t give an opinion on this dude.

Because if Heather hires him he by definition has to be good.....otherwise not acting PC and that won’t be tolerated here at Pitt

If Schmidt is option A at this point, Pitt might as well just shut it down. No players, no coach, barely any visits available...just go on hiatus. If the ACC requires a basketball team to participate then just hold a raffle in the Zoo before the game and the winners get to play. if they thought Stalling's pressed was bad, they better not even hold one.

Absolutely. I cannot imagine how disasterous the press conference announcing this guy will go if he is the hire.

In addition, it would not put a single additional fannny in an empty Pete seat. It might even lead to more season ticket non-renewals.
Tell Mrs. Schmidt to call Mrs. Stallings.

This may be a long shot because of his commitment to the NC area but why not take a shot at Capel. If not Mussleman, who by far would be my first choice. Capel's had a successful and pretty extensive coaching career considering he's only in his early to mid 40's. I know he was fired from Oklahoma after just two or three years but he had a pretty successful career at VCU. He's a great recruiter. Most likely he will wait it out for Coach K's retirement but who knows. Currently salary is under $1mill. Maybe the money would talk.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I was opposed to Stallings because he’s an a-hole and below mediocre for the past decade.

I can’t give an opinion on this dude.

Haven't seen the "I'm gonna f'n kill you" to some brother video yet... so he's at least one notch above Stallings.

And St. Bonaventure? I don't know how anyone could get a brother to go to a school in Olean NY. So... that makes 2 notches above Stallings.

He was 1-1 against Hurley and Oats this year. So... we're at 3 notches above Stallings.

Shall I continue?

Reactions: paulbl99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT