ADVERTISEMENT

Knight or Dixon

This Covid year is the get out of jail free card, everyone gets a pass, except the SEC in football or Texas. So two more years are guaranteed. But assuming Covid is finally tamed for next season the clock starts ticking and year 5 is for all the marbles

I think Pitt & Capel will both use the Covid card as their get out of jail free card. In reality though, I think Covid really could have worked to Pitt's advantage. I think it hurts blue-bloods that depend on one & dones more than anyone. (any team that hasn't played together and depends on newcomers) Those are also the teams that have great home court advantages and feed off their crowd. - Not to mention how those crowds sometimes influence how a game is called (its human nature)

Another big strike against Capel, is that the issues that are coming up now are the same issues that have dogged him throughout his career. And they are coming to a head here at the end of the year, with only a few games remaining. Not good optics, imo.

Covid has messed up everything. I'm not going to discount that. I think it's much easier to navigate through a basketball season though than it was football. Football teams missed spring practice, have so many more guys to worry about, and the game prep is totally different. Back in early July, I'm not sure many people thought there would even be a season. And for a while there wasn't for B1G and Pac12 schools, before they changed their mind.

WTF is everyone talking about? Capel finally stood up and did something about this crap. It was GLARINGLY obvious these boys were NOT coachable. They HAD to go. We have something to look forward to now.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
WTF is everyone talking about? Capel finally stood up and did something about this crap. It was GLARINGLY obvious these boys were NOT coachable. They HAD to go. We have something to look forward to now.
I have no problem with this line of thinking as long as he brings in quality players. The concern is we don’t have anyone signed right now and we have no idea who we are close to landing.

So has his coaching success. He lost his way a long time ago.

I'm not sure I'd agree. Ask me again in about 2 more years with what he does with TCU. But he's no longer anywhere close to a good fit for us.

Here's the problem for me. I don't know really know who is a good fit for us anymore.

But let's get first things first. We better start rooting for Capel to still be a good fit because he's going to be here for at least two more years.

Reactions: pitt-girl
You love you some Capel lmao, you his agent?
I agreed with @SoufOaklin4Life because the economics backs it up. Everyone seems to think it's just *that* easy to get rid of a HC. Maybe that's correct with some programs, but PITT has never been that and is even more in a hole after 2020-2021. That they stepped up with Stallings surprised many and they did find a way to lessen the blow.

Short of another winless ACC season or something truly egregious, Capel is here another 2 years. I'm hoping it's more because he will have found a way out of this mess. Chances are slim, but hope springs eternal.

I agreed with @SoufOaklin4Life because the economics backs it up. Everyone seems to think it's just *that* easy to get rid of a HC. Maybe that's correct with some programs, but PITT has never been that and is even more in a hole after 2020-2021. That they stepped up with Stallings surprised many and they did find a way to lessen the blow.

Short of another winless ACC season or something truly egregious, Capel is here another 2 years. I'm hoping it's more because he will have found a way out of this mess. Chances are slim, but hope springs eternal.

100% agree.

I have no problem with this line of thinking as long as he brings in quality players. The concern is we don’t have anyone signed right now and we have no idea who we are close to landing.

That's my issue too. I don't have a problem with getting rid of guys that shouldn't be here anymore. But you have to replace them with someone, don't you? If we had signed a couple 100-level recruits in the early period I'd feel a lot better about this.

I also want to add, no inside info on this but just reading between the lines, I don't know about Toney but Johnson is gone because Capel told him it was his way or the highway and Johnson picked the highway. Or because he had been given that choice before, and Capel saw that no matter what may have been said the actions simply weren't there.

There is always dirt if you are willing to dig for it. Pitt has leverage now. They should be able to scare the hell out of any coach on campus. If they can dig up any dirt at all on Capel's program, then remind him how they got Stallings stuck with a show cause, they could once again lessen the blow. I don't advocate it and I think it's disgusting, but that method is always available. If the coach admits to breaking any rules, you probably have that covered in the language of the contract. If they cover up any rule infractions, you can get them stuck with a show-cause.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I'm not sure I'd agree. Ask me again in about 2 more years with what he does with TCU. But he's no longer anywhere close to a good fit for us.

Here's the problem for me. I don't know really know who is a good fit for us anymore.

But let's get first things first. We better start rooting for Capel to still be a good fit because he's going to be here for at least two more years.
What's kind of unfortunate is that I feel we're back to the Willard days. We had no identity and then came a decade + of success unmatched by almost every other program out there.

Ugh. Dispiriting. The good news is that I believe HCJC is really good man so I'm still all in. Hail to PITT.

There is always dirt if you are willing to dig for it. Pitt has leverage now. They should be able to scare the hell out of any coach on campus. If they can dig up any dirt at all on Capel's program, then remind him how they got Stallings stuck with a show cause, they could once again lessen the blow. I don't advocate it and I think it's disgusting, but that method is always available. If the coach admits to breaking any rules, you probably have that covered in the language of the contract. If they cover up any rule infractions, you can get them stuck with a show-cause.
LOL - not sure PITT has any "leverage". Stallings made his own bed, not only on the court but personally as well. That culture does not surround this program right now.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I am not doubting what you are saying but I cannot (off of the top of my head) recall a situation quite like this before in hoops In the NCAA. I would love to be reminded of some. But without a doubt I would think some sort of major effort would have to be made to appease the fan base and donors. It can’t just be ignored.
It won't be unseen and most likely won't remain ignored once fans are back at Heinz and the Pete.

LOL - not sure PITT has any "leverage". Stallings made his own bed, not only on the court but personally as well. That culture does not surround this program right now.

Why do you say that? Capel's programs have a history of running afoul of the NCAA. No school in the country goes strictly by the rule book. The football program was guilty of the same violations as the basketball program under Stallings, minus the recruiting videos. Had they been out to get Narduzzi, I'm sure they could have made him twist also. It's not hard. The school always has leverage.

What's kind of unfortunate is that I feel we're back to the Willard days. We had no identity and then came a decade + of success unmatched by almost every other program out there.

Ugh. Dispiriting. The good news is that I believe HCJC is really good man so I'm still all in. Hail to PITT.
Wasn't Willard at least as good a recruiter as Capel is? Willard at least took us to the NIT which we haven't seen in years. I don't know what issues Willard had but when Howland arrived he had enough talent to go 13-15 then made the Big East finals and NIT 2nd round the following year.

Capel is not Ben Howland.

Reactions: PittPoker
Wasn't Willard at least as good a recruiter as Capel is? Willard at least took us to the NIT which we haven't seen in years. I don't know what issues Willard had but when Howland arrived he had enough talent to go 13-15 then made the Big East finals and NIT 2nd round the following year.

Can't disagree with talent but how quickly we forget the game at Villanova when we had managers stepping in because we didn't have enough scholarship players to put on the court. :rolleyes:

And I do agree that the run we had was under a new coach. But I have to remain positive here - that's all I got. What's the alternative?

It does indeed feel like the Willard days.

And I also COMPLETELY believe that HCJC is a really good man. But it's hard to stay all in with everything that is happening.

Reactions: pitt-girl

There is a lot of talent to be had in 2022 as the class is deep so the potential is "really" there to right the ship and build a really strong base of players. That does include reclassification to 2021 with at least a few of these players.

But my number 1 priority besides getting a quality player on board early, is establishing an "identity". I don't even know how we would sell an identity after what I witnessed so far this year. We went from a team that was locked in on defense with zero offensive flow early in the year, only to fix the offense as the season went on while totally quitting on defense. I cant recall a season where I've seen an offense and a defense do full 180 Uturns during the season.

As much as I would love to extend defensive pressure with Femi, we dont have the quality depth to do it and Champ is playing hurt. We have no senior leadership. If the identity is recruiting the junkyard dog types that is built off toughness, why the heck did we not full court press Posh Alexander who is tearing it up at St. Johns. It was a blunder, simply put, by Capel just as it was with every other Coach that pulled Posh's offer and backed off.

My viewpoint obviously is not all sunshine and roses. We have a lot of quality targets on the big board, players that are 5 star, players that are ghosts on the recruiting sites. I don't feel we are truly locked in on enough of our targets. In other words, we cant go all in on JHS and Rice for example and put the others on the backburner forever. We need a "solid" commit early to establish some momentum and build a base.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Im hoping to steal a win down the stretch, get some chemistry going with the young players, and we have got to get someone on the board early in 2022, whether that player reclasses or not and regardless if that player is at the top of our "wish" list.

We have a very legit chance with JHS and Rice. Same with Gallagher, Reid, and others Ive not mentioned. But with our current situation the net needs to be wider with getting a player committed. "A very solid chance" does mean signed loi, see RJ Davis.

Getting a player for example like Jaquan Sanders or even Tyson Commander early would be a major, major, win on many levels. And I dont feel we have the full court pressure turned up nearly enough on either of them, quite yet, at least where it should be. And those are only 2 players among others.

I dont mind Jeff feeling confident on recruiting which I feel he is quite confident on 2022. But overconfidence indeed kills.

Willard a much better recruiter

Agreed. Also agree that I don’t know who would be a good fit at Pitt at this point. Frankly if we were going to go back to a former coach Howland would be my first choice. Probably the best hire in Pitt athletics since Jackie Sherrill.

With all of the talk of Dixon in this thread, I’m just not sure he can get it done in modern college basketball at Pitt. I mean, the athletes are different now and the transfer rules are different. Part of the problem here in our situation seems to be with the players. Do the modern players want to suffer through Jamie’s way of doing things in the practice gym for 2 years before they get their shot? I just think it’s a different era. What led us to the most successful period in our history can never work today.

every locker room needs strong leaders. Jamie’s teams especially because they need the older players who have been through the battles to lead the young players, assure them that the Pitt way/Dixon way is the right way, and keep them focused on the program. Now the kids transfer out at the first sign of adversity. I don’t think 2003-2011 happens if the athletes then are what they are now and if the transfer rules were what they are. All those most improved players we had wouldn’t have been around long enough.

just my opinion.

Reactions: BPKY
No ... I believe Jamie Dixon did an incredible job here, and even his work in his last five years should have been appreciated much more than it was by many Pitt fans. I believe he is an excellent coach. But if Capel ends up failing, this program will need new directions.
If? Sorry but he's already failed. Next year is most likely going to be like year 1 with him. I think he's a dead man walking that unfortunately can't be moved on from for a few seasons because of the buyout and another stupid extension he was given.

:pWhat if he goes 0-18 next year?

I think 6 or less ACC wins gets him fired after year 4. If there isn't significant reason for hope after next year, like 3 or 4 Top 40 type players in the pipeline, I think somebody will step up and stroke the check for a buyout. There is no reason to keep him around after that. The situation is toxic enough as it is.
Narduzzi also will be bought most likely in 2 years imo. No way Capel only gets 1 more year unfortunately because the buyout is too high now thx to another dumb Heather Lyke extension.

I don't see it. I think they have to have some league wins and some tangible evidence that things are going to be improved going forward for him to make it past next year. We'll see.
If Pitt really goes winless next season in the ACC then maybe maybe Capel would be fired. But honestly even then I'm not so sure. Would depend on what recruits did Capel land for year 5. To me that would be very important if Pitt were to really go winless or win only 1 conference game. Sadly if Champ does leave that actually could happen which scares me even more.

Brandin. I'm telling you, he'll be introduced as Pitt's head coach once Capel is bought out after 5 bad seasons.

If? Sorry but he's already failed. Next year is most likely going to be like year 1 with him. I think he's a dead man walking that unfortunately can't be moved on from for a few seasons because of the buyout and another stupid extension he was given.

The perception that he is a lame duck coach is going to be out there now. The only thing he can do to change that next year is win. Heather might as well get her notebook back out and be prepared to go gangster on him.

He is getting shitcanned from TCU soon, guy is done, over , Robert Morris next stop

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT