ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos To Cassar!

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Even though he is a Nitter, how can you not love the story of Anthony Cassar: Never a regular starter for PSU until this season; former backup at 197. Decided to come back for his senior year knowing he had no chance to beat out Bo Nickel at 197, so grew himself into a Hwt. Still initially figured to be behind the highly-touted Nick Nevills there. Won the position with the help of an injury to Nevills and his own hard work.

Started the season unranked, but just kept winning. Won the Big 10, handing Gable Stevenson his first loss. Beat Stevenson again in the semis. Then dominated #1 seed White to win the title. A great story of perserverence.

Nothing greater than man versus man. I really liked what Noff said after his win. I thought he was really humble and even though he can beat anyone showed a ton of respect for his competitor. You gotta love Lewis from VT. Freshman who took down the best of the best and really manhandled two time NCAA champ, nearly pinned him.

The drama of the basketball tournament is great, but the excitement of the wrestling tournament and finals is even more exciting. It takes everything one wrestler has to win it all, no teammate to rely on, just him and his opponent.

Reactions: persp
Nothing greater than man versus man. I really liked what Noff said after his win. I thought he was really humble and even though he can beat anyone showed a ton of respect for his competitor. You gotta love Lewis from VT. Freshman who took down the best of the best and really manhandled two time NCAA champ, nearly pinned him.

The drama of the basketball tournament is great, but the excitement of the wrestling tournament and finals is even more exciting. It takes everything one wrestler has to win it all, no teammate to rely on, just him and his opponent.
So right! That is why we all love the sport. I loved Cassar's interview! He took off his singlet top so everybody could see his guns. GREAT! Great interview. The guy was so happy with his buddies cheering him on.

So right! That is why we all love the sport. I loved Cassar's interview! He took off his singlet top so everybody could see his guns. GREAT! Great interview. The guy was so happy with his buddies cheering him on.

Needs to be playing OLB for the Steelers

Wrestlers are truly and interesting breed. But listening to postmatch interviews many appear to be down to earth humble people. Although Bo Nickal seemed to come off differently a bit more arrogant, but finished with more humble words.
Definitely very different than what you see or hear from basketball or football players. I guess much of it related to the whole solo on my own sport versus a team sport.

If he comes back next year, it will be interesting. Nevills missed the season with an injury and also could apply for another year.

Could Cassar try to drop back to 197 with Nickal graduating?

I didn’t mention in my original post, but in HS, Cassar didn’t even make it to the state tourney until his senior year — and then he won it. Perserverence started early.

Last edited:
Nevils will not be back, Cassar beat him twice this year and his brother Seth is on campus. Conel from Kent State if healthy will be at 197 next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT