ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Headed Out of Baltimore ?

BreakingPitt

All Conference
Apr 27, 2021
The Ravens used the nonexclusive tag on Jackson. With the Ravens using the nonexclusive tag, Jackson can engage in contract talks with other teams. If they don't match the offer , Ravens get 2 #1's.

Good move by the Ravens I think, let Lamar walk and get 2 #1's.
Would also be nice to see him out of the AFC North as well.

The Jets are trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers, so yes teams are that desperate.

The Ravens used the nonexclusive tag on Jackson. With the Ravens using the nonexclusive tag, Jackson can engage in contract talks with other teams. If they don't match the offer , Ravens get 2 #1's.

Great move. The Ravens believe that Jackson is asking for more than he is worth. This will truly establish the true market for him. Then the Ravens can either agree and get their franchise QB or disagree and get picks. I'm surprised more teams don't use it.

Either you have a top echelon QB and pay him accordingly and compete for SBs (like Maholmes, Burrow, Allen) or you don't and are trying to get one. Jackson isn't at that level, and so he isn't worth being paid as the top QB in the league.

This sounds like something the Raiders would jump on.

I don’t see any team desperate enough to match that deal and give up 2 number ones. Of course there are some franchises that do stupid things all the time.

Cleveland gave up more for Watson. Denver gave up alot for Russell Wilson, someone will make an offer.
2 number ones is not that hefty a price.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
I was hoping the Ravens gave him the Flacco treatment and completely overspend for him. When the Ravens did that, they basically extended the shelf life of the Steelers dominance of the AFC North. They were cash strapped and couldn't sign top shelf talent and were stuck with a mediocre QB.

Reactions: pittdan77
I don’t see any team desperate enough to match that deal and give up 2 number ones. Of course there are some franchises that do stupid things all the time.

I could see the Packers trading a Rodgers and then turning around and trading for Jackson. Not smart but I could see them doing it.

The fact that several teams who seem like an obvious fit have already leaked that they aren't interested is pretty telling. I think a lot of owners are pissed at what the Browns did and don't want to open that can of worms any further. Also, paying a huge guaranteed contract to a guy that can't stay healthy (or who refused to play with a minor injury) and giving up a couple of draft picks isn't exactly good business. Especially if your team sucks. You can take runs at draft picks and middling FA's for almost nothing until you figure some other things out.

The good news is that Baltimore has pissed all over the punch bowl and may have to ultimately release Jackson or watch him sit.

Reactions: bayardstreet

The Steelers have beaten Lamar the last few meetings.

i think the idea that you have to have a highly paid franchise qb, eating up 25% of your cap, is the way to succeed is being proven wrong and outdated.. the 4 highest paid qbs last year, none of them made the playoffs.

I know if you find a good one, you have to sign him (Burrows) but it really hamstrings you if you overpay and your man isnt that elite guy.. we see it time and time again..

i think the idea that you have to have a highly paid franchise qb, eating up 25% of your cap, is the way to succeed is being proven wrong and outdated.. the 4 highest paid qbs last year, none of them made the playoffs.

I know if you find a good one, you have to sign him (Burrows) but it really hamstrings you if you overpay and your man isnt that elite guy.. we see it time and time again..
They say the better model is to draft the rookie that is good right away and you try to win while he's on his rookie contract, like Hurts or Burrow right now.

They say the better model is to draft the rookie that is good right away and you try to win while he's on his rookie contract, like Hurts or Burrow right now.
yeah, hope that is what works for the steelers. the problem is, that's a small window and once that window closes, you have to inevitably make a big decision you saw it in cleveland with mayfield and seeing it now in baltimore.

honestly, i think this system is the way to go with WRs though in this pass-happy era. but once they are due for that big second contract, cut and draft a new one, rinse and repeat..

Maybe the really good guys, like a Chase, you sign but the good but not great guy, you can most likely replace in the draft. Kind of like a Dionte Johnson. i know we signed him for 2 years so that's not exactly replacing him but he'd be a guy who is good but not someone you offer that big 4 year deal too..

He a prolific player, but not a great qb. Like other run-first qb's, his career ends when the knee injuries start.

I hope they keep him as he has been in Baltimore for 5 years, and has started against the Steelers only 3 times. That’s it. They’ve played 8 times since he became the starter, so he’s played 3 and missed 5. And he’s 1-2 against them as a starter with 4 TDs and 6 interceptions.

I hope he stays, too. He'll cash-strap the org and be injured/ineffective often. A dumb team like the Raiders will get him.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
I'm not sure that is correct. Out of the past 10 Super Bowl winners, a highly paid franchise QB was on the winning team. Only exceptions were the first KC Super Bowl when Mahomes was on his rookie deal, Philly with Foles, and Seattle in 2014 while Wilson was still on his rookie deal.

I haven't followed this much, but I hate to see some of the accusations being tossed around. Collusion being one of them. Like, what is there to collude about? If you think he's worth the price, you should make a move and beat your peers to the punch. Otherwise, you shouldn't.

I'm not sure that is correct. Out of the past 10 Super Bowl winners, a highly paid franchise QB was on the winning team. Only exceptions were the first KC Super Bowl when Mahomes was on his rookie deal, Philly with Foles, and Seattle in 2014 while Wilson was still on his rookie deal.
You're right. Brady skews things but there really isn't any evidence that highly paid QB's are more successful, either. Of the last six SB's, six QB's playing in the game were on their rookie deal. Brady played in three of those games and Mahomes played in three more (one of those seasons was on his second deal). Meanwhile, a lot of veteran guys with bigger salaries were struggling to win a single playoff game.

I haven't followed this much, but I hate to see some of the accusations being tossed around. Collusion being one of them. Like, what is there to collude about? If you think he's worth the price, you should make a move and beat your peers to the punch. Otherwise, you shouldn't.
Players are beating that drum because they like guaranteed deals and don't want to see them die. I think some teams feel like it's going to be tough to cut a deal with a guy that doesn't have an agent and doesn't appear to have a middle ground. At least not yet. I also think a lot of teams are looking at how last season ended and how a lot of people believed he could have played. He was okay to dress but couldn't start?

Long and short of it, if the guy was that desirable, Baltimore wouldn't be dangling him out there.

Either you have a top echelon QB and pay him accordingly and compete for SBs (like Maholmes, Burrow, Allen) or you don't and are trying to get one. Jackson isn't at that level, and so he isn't worth being paid as the top QB in the league.

I generally agree but just when you think you have a handle on the QB market, you get someone like Daniel Jones getting a $160M ($90M guaranteed) contract. Jones is OK, but is he really worth $40M? If Jones is $40 what's Lamar worth? The biggest concern I would have with a multi-year Lamar contract is can he stay healthy over several years?

it's a confusing dynamic and im not even sure i got my mind wrapped around it. so 4 of the 5 highest paid did NOT make playoffs. Allen was 5. i think Mahomes was 6th so 2 out of the top 6.

So what does this mean? did the rams, broncos, browns and pack not make playoffs becuase they were hamstringed by overpaying their QB and thus not having enough money to get talent around them (Leave browns out of it, not sure watson money hit yet)? Or are the qbs not that good?

But on the flip side, like you said, these super bowl champs all have good qbs. Mostly Mahomes. Manning and Brady since they won 7 of the last 9..

I dont know man. QB is still the most important position. Here is what I think i think. Overpaying an avg or decent QB to huge money is an absolute franchise killer. If you are going to offer this huge Mega deal to your franchise QB, you better be right cause if he's average (Murray, Wilson, Goff), you are in for some serious years of hurting.. It's no wonder no one wants to sign Lamar to a guaranteed deal. if he's not great, you guarantee yourself in big trouble for 1/2 a decade.

oh and like someone else said, if you have "Your man" out of the draft, make it count with that rookie contract, Praying steelers do this.

Last edited:
I generally agree but just when you think you have a handle on the QB market, you get someone like Daniel Jones getting a $160M ($90M guaranteed) contract. Jones is OK, but is he really worth $40M? If Jones is $40 what's Lamar worth? The biggest concern I would have with a multi-year Lamar contract is can he stay healthy over several years?
And that is the issue, teams don't want to fully guarantee the entire length of his contract due to his style and recent injury history. Not to mention no owner wants to back the precedent set by the idiots in Cleveland with a fully guaranteed deal.

They are overpaying Jones for sure. When a mediocre QB earns more than Maholmes, how can they expect to build a team around him that is good enough to win the SB?

it's a confusing dynamic and im not even sure i got my mind wrapped around it. so 4 of the 5 highest paid did NOT make playoffs. Allen was 5. i think Mahomes was 6th so 2 out of the top 6.

So what does this mean? did the rams, broncos, browns and pack not make playoffs becuase they were hamstringed by overpaying their QB and thus not having enough money to get talent around them (Leave browns out of it, not sure watson money hit yet)? Or are the qbs not that good?

But on the flip side, like you said, these super bowl champs all have good qbs. Mostly Mahomes. Manning and Brady since they won 7 of the last 9..

I dont know man. QB is still the most important position. Here is what I think i think. Overpaying an avg or decent QB to huge money is an absolute franchise killer. If you are going to offer this huge Mega deal to your franchise QB, you better be right cause if he's average (Murray, Wilson, Goff), you are in for some serious years of hurting.. It's no wonder no one wants to sign Lamar to a guaranteed deal. if he's not great, you guarantee yourself in big trouble for 1/2 a decade.

oh and like someone else said, if you have "Your man" out of the draft, make it count with that rookie contract, Praying steelers do this.

I think the best case scenario is a great franchise QB still on his rookie deal. After they hit their second contract, the margin of error tightens up quite a bit.

Reactions: Dan1911
Players are beating that drum because they like guaranteed deals and don't want to see them die.

Sure, but they also need to understand that fully guaranteed contracts means less dollars per season. Because eventually teams will have tens of millions of salary cap dollars tied up in guys who can't play. Like if Deshaun Watson gets hurt and can't play, they can't do anything to get that $46 million off their cap. Which means that they have $46 million less to spend on other guys.

OK, most teams, or really any of them, won't have $46 million tied up in one guy. But what if you have a guy with $30 million per season tied up in an injured player like a TJ Watt injury would for the Stillers? Or you have a couple $10-!5 million dollar guys at the same time? Teams, lots of teams eventually, would end up with more than 10% of their salary cap tied up in guys who can't play anymore. Which means less money for everyone else.

Now if you are one of those guys who gets in early on a fully guaranteed deal you won't care, because you got yours. But there will be a lot of other guys who won't.

Allen is more like Lamar than he is Mahommes orBurrow.

Imagine what some of the older all-time great QB's must be thinking about these contracts. What kind of a deal would you have to give a Marino or Elway if they were playing today?

Reactions: BreakingPitt
I just can’t imagine a team wanting to ante up massive coin for Jackson. The money and draft picks are one thing, but it’s a serious gamble. The one thing he does well has gotten him long-term injuries now in successive years. That almost seems guaranteed to continue. Even if not, you aren’t going to immediately win with this guy. Most teams that would sign him would need to retool their OL and offensive schemes by a near 180 to accommodate him (as Baltimore did); by the time that effort is completed, his contract might be up!

Sure, but they also need to understand that fully guaranteed contracts means less dollars per season. Because eventually teams will have tens of millions of salary cap dollars tied up in guys who can't play. Like if Deshaun Watson gets hurt and can't play, they can't do anything to get that $46 million off their cap. Which means that they have $46 million less to spend on other guys.

OK, most teams, or really any of them, won't have $46 million tied up in one guy. But what if you have a guy with $30 million per season tied up in an injured player like a TJ Watt injury would for the Stillers? Or you have a couple $10-!5 million dollar guys at the same time? Teams, lots of teams eventually, would end up with more than 10% of their salary cap tied up in guys who can't play anymore. Which means less money for everyone else.

Now if you are one of those guys who gets in early on a fully guaranteed deal you won't care, because you got yours. But there will be a lot of other guys who won't.
The lower "per season" salary probably isn't much different than being on the back end of a deal that's been restructured a couple of times. But yes, the guaranteed money only benefits the team if the player is a stud and never gets hurt. Lamar ain't that guy.

Reactions: Pitt79
The most laughable argument I have seen is, yes of course, RACISM, like the "If Lamar was white..." people, meanwhile .... WATSON, MURRAY, MAHOMES, PRESCOTT, yeah, nobody is paying black QBs :) :) :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT