ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Fitzgerald

If only Larry had a good QB for most of his career, he could have challenged Rice for number one.
Didn't he have Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer for most of his career? Two QBs in the top 20 all-time in completion percentage, yards per game, Passer Rating, and passes completed per game.

Cook and Smizik both voted for Jason White in the closest Heisman vote in the history of the award.

Likely that the local guys cost him the award...

Last edited:
Cook and Smizik both voted for Jason White in the closest Heisman vote in the history of the award.

Likely that he local guys cost him the award...
not true (closest in history vote--might want to ask Johnny Majors about that one as he had a closer 2nd place as did several others) but close enough for your point...

Last edited:
It's mostly longevity. Rice played 303 games, Fitzgerald 227. Fitz averaged 5.6 catches and 70.3 yards per game; Rice 5.3 and 75.6 Biggest difference is Rice will probably play about five more seasons than Fitzgerald.

However you look at it, I'd put Fitzgerald behind Rice second all time as a receiver. Both exceptional hands and route runners, and very good speed. Moss was very explosive and individually dominant but his route tree was much more limited.

Reactions: singregardless
Didn't he have Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer for most of his career? Two QBs in the top 20 all-time in completion percentage, yards per game, Passer Rating, and passes completed per game.
Carson Palmer got hurt every year, so it was mostly backup QBs for those years.

Reactions: FireballZ
Larry had three full years with Warner. 2 of Kurt's 5 seasons with the Cardinals he was hurt and then Larry had Matt Leinart. He had McCown, Anderson, Kolb and Stanton for 5 years of his career. Palmer had 3 full years with the Cardinals, so Larry only had a good QB for 6 full seasons.

Rice had what, 16 years with Montana and Young?

My point is that if Larry had Montana and Young for 16 seasons, he would be challenging for the record.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Palmer started 60 games over 5 seasons and threw for 4,200 yards 3 times...

And in two of those seasons, Dew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert saw significant QB time because Palmer was hurt.

Rice had what, 16 years with Montana and Young?

My point is that if Larry had Montana and Young for 16 seasons, he would be challenging for the record.

Rice had 92 catches at age 40. He was the Hank Aaron of football with his consistency. He helped turn guys like Rich Gannon and Jeff Garcia into 4200 yards a year passers back when that wasn't as common.

It says a lot about rice that he is still so far ahead of even number two because of how much easier it is to get open in the NFL now compared to back when Rice played. Granted when Larry came into he league it wasn’t quite where it is now. But all those rule changes about defensive holds and not being able to go after quarterbacks like they did when Rice played have made the passing game in general so much easier. Rice will always be the greatest ever in my opinion, although obviously kudos to Larry to getting to number two.

It says a lot about rice that he is still so far ahead of even number two because of how much easier it is to get open in the NFL now compared to back when Rice played. Granted when Larry came into he league it wasn’t quite where it is now. But all those rule changes about defensive holds and not being able to go after quarterbacks like they did when Rice played have made the passing game in general so much easier. Rice will always be the greatest ever in my opinion, although obviously kudos to Larry to getting to number two.
It says a lot about rice that he is still so far ahead of even number two because of how much easier it is to get open in the NFL now compared to back when Rice played.. not as much as being in the league for 19 years does...

He got 3 good full seasons out of each on the tail end of their careers. He also had seasons with Josh McCown, Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton and a host of other schlubs. Over half his career was spent with a cast of scrubs playing QB.

If you look at the top 5 WRs in yardage, Fitz had the worst QBs by far over the careers.

Don’t worry.....Fitz will go play with Brady for next 2 years and get close to 3000 more yards added to the total.

Don’t worry.....Fitz will go play with Brady for next 2 years and get close to 3000 more yards added to the total.

Let's hope for Fitz !

Has anyone scene cook in person... he's a creekidy old man and can say I would have no problem putting a DeJaun Blair elbow in the middle of his chest. PITTSburgh should never ever forgive give him for not voting for one of the best receivers we will ever see.

Cook is garbage 100%, I have a very close friend that did his internship with Vinnie and cook..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT