ADVERTISEMENT

OT: another question for Steeler fans or Fitz fans

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I’ve been re-watching Super Bowl 43 on the treadmill. On James Harrison’s int return for a TD, which was arguably the greatest play in Super Bowl history (top 3 for sure), it was almost for not because Larry Legend ran out of bounds for 40 yards to make the tackle. If the tackle was on the 1 foot line instead as time expired, what would have happened? What’s the rule? Would that have been a defensive penalty and therefore not end the half? Would they have backed the ball up 15 yards for one final play? Would running out of bounds for 40 yards essentially saved the Cardinals 4 points on the scoreboard?

I don't get the 15 yards part. Wouldn't they have moved it half the distance closer to the end zone? I might not be getting what you're saying, though.

Good question. It’s actually not a foul for a defender to go out of bounds and come back in. Those only apply to receivers on passing plays and kicking team members on kick plays.

In this case Fitz was a defender.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Good question. It’s actually not a foul for a defender to go out of bounds and come back in. Those only apply to receivers on passing plays and kicking team members on kick plays.

In this case Fitz was a defender.
Thanks. !!

FWIW, there was definitely a second left on the clock when he was tackled. I think they just ran it out, since he was in anyway, but I assume they would have put it back on the clock if he was tackled.

But there actually *was* a face mask penalty on a Cardinals O-lineman on the play, before the pass. I'm assuming, since it was before the change of possession, that it wouldn't have resulted in an untimed down (assuming they didn't add the second back) if he was tackled short of the end zone, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT