ADVERTISEMENT

Last play

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Ran it back a bunch. Its frustrating because Pitt defended it so well and the UC Davis transfer just made something out of nothing. 1st look was to #12 through an elevator screen, Elliott went over top and had it covered. 2nd look was to Lawrence but Burton was on him. 3rd look was top of key to the big guy, who was kinda open but the PG didnt feel comfortable with him shooting a 22 footer for the win so he drove on a bad angle to the rim, heading out of bounds when Burton left his man to help. Had Burton not helped, game over. Cant really fault him though. The insinct is to help on the drive and in that split second you cant really expect him to see that he wasnt at a proper angle to get a layup.

Frustrating way to lose but the team looks legitimately as good as any non-NCAAT type team out there. Probably a legit Big away from really being something and I'm starting to lose hope for Hugley this year. I get it, the injury and being out of shape and all but he went from what I believe was one of the better Bigs in the nation to being one of the worst P6 starting Bigs. You cant even have him on the floor.

Reactions: PollCat99
Hugley was very bad. I honestly would take Terrell Brown over him in this current state. He us a turnover machine and doesn't rebound

Reactions: PollCat99
I also thought Pitt defended the last play well and in a lot of ways got a bit unlucky. You are right in that they clearly had the primary options of that play defended well. It wasn’t quite a mad scramble on Vandys part but you could tell with all options covered he just put his head down and drove to the hoop and found a guy at literally the last second. I did think it was a foul. It was a great fight for them to get back and be up 1 with a chance to close.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I also thought Pitt defended the last play well and in a lot of ways got a bit unlucky. You are right in that they clearly had the primary options of that play defended well. It wasn’t quite a mad scramble on Vandys part but you could tell with all options covered he just put his head down and drove to the hoop and found a guy at literally the last second. I did think it was a foul. It was a great fight for them to get back and be up 1 with a chance to close.

If there were analytics for this, I would say that Vandy's chance of winning the game if we covered the first 3 options was around 10% because at that point, you are relying on an average guard to make a play, going left, with just a few seconds. Credit to the kid for creating something. Really wished Burton didnt help but I dont think you can fault him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT