ADVERTISEMENT

Least Popular Pitt Coach in Recent History: Graham or Stallings?

I'm positive he was an awful hire
Just like this guy!
business-man-hanging-tie-1741774.jpg

Can I vote for both? I hate both equally. Graham just oozed slime when listening to him speak. As far as Stallings, I despised him while at Vanderbilt and I dislike him even more while here.

Reactions: rockypanther
Graham got another (and better) offer. That isn't happening with Kevin Stallings. The situations are entirely different.
Graham wasn't staying at Pitt , he realized how bad the situation here was and would have gone to the University of Timbuktu if he had to to get out of here .
I will agree that KS isn't fielding better offers !

I'm not sure you'll find one person whose a fan that was happy with the KS hiring . If you could find that person now I'm sure he'd have changed his mind . It all boils down to this , Pitt made a business decision to reduce costs in the bb program and if you could see the actual numbers in their ( JD & KS ) contracts I'm sure Pitt is saving a substantial amount of money. That being said Pitt will generate so much less revenue over the coming yrs it will go down as one of the worst business decisions the university has made . Other than going to the ACC ($$$) the decisions made by the university regarding the athletic department since Sherrill could be a blueprint on how not to run an athletic department .

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I'm not sure you'll find one person whose a fan that was happy with the KS hiring . If you could find that person now I'm sure he'd have changed his mind . It all boils down to this , Pitt made a business decision to reduce costs in the bb program and if you could see the actual numbers in their ( JD & KS ) contracts I'm sure Pitt is saving a substantial amount of money. That being said Pitt will generate so much less revenue over the coming yrs it will go down as one of the worst business decisions the university has made . Other than going to the ACC ($$$) the decisions made by the university regarding the athletic department since Sherrill could be a blueprint on how not to run an athletic department .
They aren't.

Fraud was smug, stand offish and a blow hard. Stallings has been gracious and humble. For me it is not even a discussion. Give the man a chance!

Really? It's come to this? How about Carl DePasqua? Not even close.
Most folks don't remember the Hart-to-DePasqua era. My first seats at Pitt Stadium were 6 rows below the Chancellor's box (inherited). During one of those 1972 fiasco losses, I turned around and yelled at Cas Myslinski to fire that bum. Cas didn't even change expression..We could have been bigtime under Kush by then.

Really? It's come to this? How about Carl DePasqua? Not even close.

Haven't heard that name in years. How about Dave Hart? Three straight 1-9 football seasons!

And I believe each of the three wins were barely done very low scoring wins against weak opponents. If I recall one was vs William & Mary.

Last edited:
Most folks don't remember the Hart-to-DePasqua era. My first seats at Pitt Stadium were 6 rows below the Chancellor's box (inherited). During one of those 1972 fiasco losses, I turned around and yelled at Cas Myslinski to fire that bum. Cas didn't even change expression..We could have been bigtime under Kush by then.

Cas Myslinski must have heard you!

Too bad his successors were deaf!

I remember DePasqua and all of the coaches in both sports since probably the mid-60's. Graham was a douchebag, a slimeball, and a low-life liar. But Stallings is 100 times worse than that and a 1000 times worse than DePasqua. He is flat out the worst coach in the history of Pitt athletics in any sport. That's about as clear as I can make it. If he left right now and we had no coach in basketball, it would be an improvement.

Reactions: gilligan 3
I remember DePasqua and all of the coaches in both sports since probably the mid-60's. Graham was a douchebag, a slimeball, and a low-life liar. But Stallings is 100 times worse than that and a 1000 times worse than DePasqua. He is flat out the worst coach in the history of Pitt athletics in any sport. That's about as clear as I can make it. If he left right now and we had no coach in basketball, it would be an improvement.

And the beat goes on

DT - Tell me how is this helpful

Nothing said here is either helpful or hurtful.

It's just discussion.

I agree with you if you think this can be considered discussion:

"Because he's a known commodity and he sucks ." - Your words not mine

And the beat goes on

Who said anything about being helpful? So now we can only post if the post is helpful to the establishment and politically correct sentiments? I'm just stating what I've seen over the past decades with the coaches at Pitt. And in case you didn't know it, coaches are more than just their records. I view them as people also with characters. Of those coaches, Stallings has the most suspect character of the bunch. Even Graham isn't at that level, in spite of his total lack of ethics.

So now this board is becoming what the rest of our politically correct society has become? This is supposed to be a discussion board where posters are free to post their viewpoints. But if some on here had their way, it would be a reflection of what our society is now. God forbid anyone says anything that upsets the status-quo or challenges the majority.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I think a more pertinent question now is which team....football or basketball...will win more games this year. I say it's football with 7 wins. And that's being optimistic.

When was the last time we had a football team that would win more games than the basketball team?

I think a more pertinent question now is which team....football or basketball...will win more games this year. I say it's football with 7 wins. And that's being optimistic.

When was the last time we had a football team that would win more games than the basketball team?

DT labeled me for not being helpful.

In my opinion, this entire thread had little to do with comparing coaches.

It was just another way to bash Stallings.

Everyone knows your opinion. I for one, find this continual bashing repetitive, unnecessary, unhelpful and whatever else you want to call it (fun?).

This thread immediately after the prolonged awkward moment thread, forced a response even though I wanted to ignore you.

I hope to be better about ignoring you in the future.

And the beat goes on

It isn't. But this particular poster has never called me out several times for how my posting has a detrimental affect on the board.

Reactions: Jpripper88
It isn't. But this particular poster has never called me out several times for how my posting has a detrimental affect on the board.
Do you equate this poster's posting history with mine? I know I don't equate his history with yours.

The difference is that you are the only one extolling himself for taking the high road while being just as insufferable as anyone else.
I am sure there are many posters who have tired of these kinds of threads. They have a better avoidance threshold than I do. Thus far, I have been unable to keep myself from responding to what I perceive as something akin to a gang jump in.

I don't know that I ever said that your posting had a detrimental effect on the board.

I might have said that I wished you used your standing more in a way to direct the tenor of the board(acknowledging that is probably impossible).

I might have stated that I think you might have some bias that has prevented you from taking a stronger hand in doing that, but stating that I acknowledge that everyone brings some personal bias to their postings.

At this point in time, do you acknowledge that the prolonged awkward moment thread and this thread were somewhat overdone? That is all I am asking?

I don't know that I ever said that your posting had a detrimental effect on the board.

I might have said that I wished you used your standing more in a way to direct the tenor of the board(acknowledging that is probably impossible).

I might have stated that I think you might have some bias that has prevented you from taking a stronger hand in doing that, but stating that I acknowledge that everyone brings some personal bias to their postings.

At this point in time, do you acknowledge that the prolonged awkward moment thread and this thread were somewhat overdone? That is all I am asking?
At that subliminal message stuff.

DT labeled me for not being helpful.

In my opinion, this entire thread had little to do with comparing coaches.

It was just another way to bash Stallings.

Everyone knows your opinion. I for one, find this continual bashing repetitive, unnecessary, unhelpful and whatever else you want to call it (fun?).

This thread immediately after the prolonged awkward moment thread, forced a response even though I wanted to ignore you.

I hope to be better about ignoring you in the future.

You have that right to ignore me. I frankly don't care. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's opinion. And I have every right to state my opinions if it moves me to do so. I'm sorry if it hurts your little feelings. I rarely read your posts because I know how over the top you are on the other extreme. Maybe I am over the top on my disdain of Stallings. But until he gives me even one example that he is a coach that knows what he is doing, I have no reason to believe he is remotely competent in anything. Gary, show me just one real example that Stallings is competent and is a coach, let alone a good coach.

I have always respected DT's opinions and viewpoints, even if I sometimes disagree with them. I have no issues with DT; never have and never will. I just wanted you to know that, DT.

You have that right to ignore me. I frankly don't care. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's opinion. And I have every right to state my opinions if it moves me to do so. I'm sorry if it hurts your little feelings. I rarely read your posts because I know how over the top you are on the other extreme. Maybe I am over the top on my disdain of Stallings. But until he gives me even one example that he is a coach that knows what he is doing, I have no reason to believe he is remotely competent in anything. Gary, show me just one real example that Stallings is competent and is a coach, let alone a good coach.

I have always respected DT's opinions and viewpoints, even if I sometimes disagree with them. I have no issues with DT; never have and never will. I just wanted you to know that, DT.
I knew that. And it's easy to understand why anyone would have the viewpoint you have at the moment.

I knew that. And it's easy to understand why anyone would have the viewpoint you have at the moment.

DT, to be honest, I hope my viewpoint changes shortly. I like having fun watching Pitt basketball and knowing that I'll leave The Pete happy with another big win by my Panthers. It's very difficult to remember when that last happened.

This is free message board for the purpose of posting various viewpoints for discussion.
Who would be the decider of what viewpoint is the right viewpoint? The board does have the ignore function but IMO those who use that function are people with limitations/issues and aren't very open minded!
It would be really boring if everyone agreed on everything wouldn't it Comrades???????

Reactions: Jpripper88
This is free message board for the purpose of posting various viewpoints for discussion.
Who would be the decider of what viewpoint is the right viewpoint? The board does have the ignore function but IMO those who use that function are people with limitations/issues and aren't very open minded!
It would be really boring if everyone agreed on everything wouldn't it Comrades???????

What is considered the "right viewpoint"? Is there such a thing? I hope not.

Both are frauds. Stallings' lack of class and dignity in the public treatment of his players tips the scale for me, and he strikes me as an Eddie Haskell type, kissing the a@@ of his "bosses" knowing all is well in the life of luxury they share,so long as they can reach mediocrity.

Both are frauds. Stallings' lack of class and dignity in the public treatment of his players tips the scale for me, and he strikes me as an Eddie Haskell type, kissing the a@@ of his "bosses" knowing all is well in the life of luxury they share,so long as they can reach mediocrity.
Have I missed something , I haven't seen players who've played for him blast him . When he's asked a direct question he doesn't sugar coat his anwsers or make excuses he tells what he feels . I'm sure the guys who've transferred out aren't fans , but he didn't recruit those guys and quite honestly none of them except Cam belonged on an ACC roster . This current roster is all his guys we'll see how he handles the growing pains and we'll see just how good a talent evaluator and coach he really is . I'm hoping he shuts us all up .

Reactions: Atch
Have I missed something

No, it was just an opinion, and I still believe better handling of the situation last year would have lead to better long term results including Cam possibly staying in the mix. Stallings certainly tells it how he feels and most of the time, up to this point, he has seen failure as someone else's fault, IMO.

No, it was just an opinion, and I still believe better handling of the situation last year would have lead to better long term results including Cam possibly staying in the mix. Stallings certainly tells it how he feels and most of the time, up to this point, he has seen failure as someone else's fault, IMO.
There's no excuses now this is a team of his own making . Like I've said I hope he makes all us skeptics eat crow . I like watching and following Pitt bb , but won't waste my time on a team that has no chance of success and embarrasses itself . This coming season he gets a pass in my book in W/L column , but not in player development . If there's no talent in this group or no improvement of the guys who can play I see little reason to believe things will ever get much better under him .

Reactions: Parkview57
I guess I should have done this as a poll, but I am curious what people think: if this year is as much as an abomination as most of us think and Stallings takes a buyout at the end of the year, does he go down as the least popular coach or is it Fraud Graham? I am not even going to consider Heywood since he was never really the coach...
Since more people follow football, I'd have to say Graham. Stallings will never be popular, because he followed Jamie and was hired underhandedly.

The worst business decision Pitt/Barnes/Gallagher ever made was, not enforcing Jamie's buyout.

7 wins? They better get started. But when?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT