Leen promoted to associate head coach

d-1980

Prep
Mar 11, 2014
PA
http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/20597

University of Pittsburgh Sports Information
10/3/2018

PITTSBURGH -- Second-year head wrestling coach Keith Gavin announced the promotion of Jordan Leen to associate head coach Wednesday afternoon.

"This is an important move," Gavin said. "Jordan's new title is more representative of his responsibilities within our program. He is a valued member of our staff and I know that he is eager to continue to build this team."

Leen enters his second season with the Panthers and works primarily with the middle weights. He also brings seven additional years of ACC coaching experience to Pittsburgh, after having spent six seasons at Virginia and a year at Duke.

"I'm grateful to Heather Lyke, Jen Tuscano and Keith Gavin for this promotion to associate head coach," Leen said. "I'm proud of the strong foundation that is being established in the Pitt wrestling program. I believe in the current student-athletes we have in our room, as well as those who are committed to joining us in the future. I look forward to experiencing great years ahead."

Leen plays a crucial role in the Panthers' recruiting efforts. Pitt's 2018-19 roster features top local talent in Luke Kemerer (Greensburg, Pa. / Hempfield), Cole Matthews (Greenville, Pa. / Reynolds) and Louis Newell (Cranberry Township, Pa. / Seneca Valley). The Panthers welcome 12 total newcomers to the roster for the upcoming season.

Leen assisted with four wrestlers qualify for the 2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships in graduates Dom Forys (133), Nick Zanetta (141) and Ryan Solomon (285), as well as redshirt junior Taleb Rahmani (157).

Prior to Pitt, Leen served as the associate head coach during his final season on the Cavaliers' staff and was an assistant for five. During his tenure at Virginia, Leen helped produce 40 NCAA qualifiers, nine ACC champions and six All-Americans. Virginia also claimed the 2015 ACC team championship when it was held in the Petersen Events Center. Leen was heavily involved in the recruitment and development of 2017 NCAA runner-up George DiCamillo at 141 pounds and 2017 true freshman All-American Jack Mueller at 125 pounds.

Leen got his coaching start at Duke, spending the 2010-11 season with the Blue Devils.

A 2009 graduate of Cornell, Leen was the 2008 157-pound NCAA champion, a three-time All-American and four-time NCAA qualifier. He posted a career record of 118-29 while garnering First Team All-Ivy League honors on three occasions.

The Panthers' get the 2018-19 season underway Wednesday, Oct. 10 with the first practice of the season. Pitt's first dual meet of the year is slated for Saturday, Nov. 10 when CSU Bakersfield makes the trip to Pittsburgh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT