ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh

That's the right answer. It is water under the bridge, but for those of us who never fully understood what happened, it is nice to know. So my thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. And so glad we are all happy to have Coach Gavin.
All’s well that ends well.

Remember when there were a lot of bad feelings about the hiring of Santoro not working out and less enthusiasm about the hiring of Gavin? Well in the 2021 Tournament, Pitt finished 11th with 40.5 points and Lehigh finished 31st with 11.5 points.

I have to admit that I was one of guys moaning and groaning.

Lou was asked to interview but wouldn’t.

Pat was shown plans for renovations. The interview wasn’t good because he could sense something was off. And he was correct.

It was off alright. Not a good look. You don't bring someone like that in for an interview and pull that crap. What he was shown had no real timeline attached. He knows what actual facility plans are because he oversaw Caruso. I get it, I saw plans Pitt was pitching of the 'convocation center' in 1991. Yes, Heather came in an blew up whatever groundwork had been laid. The impression he left with is the impression he left with. And no, he hadn't decided to take the job before he interviewed. He was obviously interested because Pitt is very special to him, but had a lot of personal reasons to stay where he was, so Pitt needed to make a pitch that it wasn't willing or prepared to make, and it came off as non-committed and unprepared. You don't bring in someone established like Santoro and not sell the hell out of it and have an offer on the table.

There is no way around the fact that that hiring process was not a good start to her tenure. I get that you have to be able to bring in your own team and sink or swim with them, but that wasn't exactly hitting the ground floor running. I hope she is wildly successful and I hope Gavin's coaching legacy leaves Santoro's in the dust, but I don't like hearing about Pitt presenting itself anything but glowing terms.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT