ADVERTISEMENT

Let the chaos begin... CA gov signs pay for play bill

college football fans on a college football message board hoping for the demise of college football. will never understand you guys..

be careful what you wish for..

Not the demise of college football but the NCAA is a terrible organization who had mis-managed everything from this issue to meting out punishments. Glad to see them take a hit once in a while.

The sky is falling!!!! Other states have similar laws in the works so the NCAA is going cave on this and nothing much will change for the schools at the top, middle or bottom.

Yup. Might as well go ahead and create the 30-team super leagues for football and basketball that have been talked about.

This is on the NCAA, though. They could’ve addressed this issue years ago but they’ve kicked the can too far down the road.
you know what, that wouldn't be terrible. and yes, i say that full well knowing that pitt would not be in that league. some sort of quasi-professional minor league hoops and football program under a governing body with their own set of rules, separate from the NCAA..

Reactions: HailToPitt725
There are a small percentage of college athletes that this will apply to.

Only the top performers.

The player must be able to attract media attention and an agent.

For example what players or players on ACC teams would this apply to.

Maybe a few of the Clemson players and a few others.

This won't destroy college football but paying all players will.

The players should form a licensing Association even if they can't legally make a labor union under the NLRB and sell their likeness as a giant package to EA, Nike, whoever.

Reactions: Rayz5089
My main worry would be these companies like Addias or Nike will openly say, hey, you'll get better pay if you go to <insert powerhouse here> as they are more marketable. I know a lot goes on behind the scenes like that now, but now they'd be able to do it legally. Hence why I think this is not good for Pitt.

The country would be the best for everyone :)

But it is pretty simple, the California schools won't be permitted to participate in the NCAA post season at a minimum (assuming the NCAA doesn't get this silliness struck down in court before then)
8 other states have similar bills in the works, it's close to checkmate for the NCAA when it comes to this issue.

My main worry would be these companies like Addias or Nike will openly say, hey, you'll get better pay if you go to <insert powerhouse here> as they are more marketable. I know a lot goes on behind the scenes like that now, but now they'd be able to do it legally. Hence why I think this is not good for Pitt.
That will happen and more top talent will end up on a handful of teams. The 80/20 rule.
If a players team is a powerhouse that player stands a better chance of being noticed by an agent just by association.

This will blow up.
Like most other intiatives in CA they haven't been well thought out.
Feel good stuff with unintended consequences.

Let's all see how this 1. rolls out 2. causes choas 3. blows up and disappears

You do realize the schools set the rules for the NCAA to follow.

Doesn't mean it's a good org. Looking at what the blue blood basketball programs are getting away vs the little guys and there is no conclusion outside of it being inept and/or corrupt.

Isn't that already happening in basketball? It's not like Zion Williamson was going to goto a school that wasn't Duke or Kentucky. Football is too much of a crapshoot when it comes to recruiting and outside of some 10 star rated QB the big shoe companies aren't going to be kicking money to high school kids so they goto Bama, Oregon or ND. Now will a nutso booster offer some kid $5,000 to be in some sorta ad or buy that much of his merchandise?Sure, but that same booster is currently giving that kid $10,000 to goto a school along with envelopes of cash throughout the season.

Reactions: e-fresh
That will happen and more top talent will end up on a handful of teams. The 80/20 rule.
If a players team is a powerhouse that player stands a better chance of being noticed by an agent just by association.

This will blow up.
Like most other intiatives in CA they haven't been well thought out.
Feel good stuff with unintended consequences.

Let's all see how this 1. rolls out 2. causes choas 3. blows up and disappears
This isn't just a California thing other states have similar laws working through the system.

The biggest issue I see with this, as someone mentioned on the national board, is that California just created a legalized money laundering system. What’s stopping Big Booster A for School X from buying up 7,000 jerseys of a kid? Or “I’ll pay you $200,000 to appear in my commercial, as long as you come to School Y.” Of course the latter would be under the table, but this isn’t just for some equally distributed amount of cash for a EA Sports game. This will get abused so easily and quickly.

And, as stated, this gives the biggest brands a *huge* advantage. If you’re a student-athlete, you’re now going to whichever school has the farthest-reaching brand and the most alums/fans. More people are going to want to buy your jersey, autograph, etc. at USC than at San Diego State.

The biggest issue I see with this, as someone mentioned on the national board, is that California just created a legalized money laundering system. What’s stopping Big Booster A for School X from buying up 7,000 jerseys of a kid? Or “I’ll pay you $200,000 to appear in my commercial, as long as you come to School Y.” Of course the latter would be under the table, but this isn’t just for some equally distributed amount of cash for a EA Sports game. This will get abused so easily and quickly.

And, as stated, this gives the biggest brands a *huge* advantage. If you’re a student-athlete, you’re now going to whichever school has the farthest-reaching brand and the most alums/fans. More people are going to want to buy your jersey, autograph, etc. at USC than at San Diego State.
Would a player that is good enough to get $200,000 offers from boosters even have the San Diego State's of this world on their radars? Do yinz all have short memories and forgot why the Feds arrested a bunch of people a few years ago or why Rick Pitno is coaching in Greece?

This isn't just a California thing other states have similar laws working through the system.
If CA is the first to have the law signed into action its a CA thing.
I bet the other states are states run just like CA.

It will be a train wreck.

Would a player that is good enough to get $200,000 offers from boosters even have the San Diego State's of this world on their radars? Do yinz all have short memories and forgot why the Feds arrested a bunch of people a few years ago or why Rick Pitno is coaching in Greece?
It was more of a figurative example, and a separate point from the top paragraph, but I understand what you’re saying.

If CA is the first to have the law signed into action its a CA thing.
I bet the other states are states run just like CA.

It will be a train wreck.
South Carolina and Tennessee have similar bills working through their legislatures, are they run like California?

South Carolina and Tennessee have similar bills working through their legislatures, are they run like California?

And if some states allow this and others don't, the states with the licensing rights will have a competitive advantage vs. those who don't. Hence the NCAA will have angry administrations yelling at them to work out a national deal.

Like I said, it is happening now, but has to be closed doors and it does keep some people honest. With this, it can be done in the open and at much larger amounts.

You're also going to be having some guys making a few hundred thousand playing with guys making peanuts.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I dont like paying them, but I think its impossible to really gauge... NCAA should be able to not allow universities to pay players... Outside of that I dont know why you fight any other organization... Its just to the point where college football is already on life support... Sports as a whole are struggling, but college football is about dead.

This is nothing. It was never against the law for college athletes to sign endorsement deals. It was just against NCAA rules so nobody did it. If Trevor Lawrence wants to sign with Nike today, he could. Then, the NCAA would rule him ineligible. Just like its legal to smoke weed in some states but its against NCAA rules.

Reactions: Steeltheone
Like I said, it is happening now, but has to be closed doors and it does keep some people honest. With this, it can be done in the open and at much larger amounts.

You're also going to be having some guys making a few hundred thousand playing with guys making peanuts.
The range will be some players make nothing, and others make alot.

I doubt agents or other companies will be interested in the average or even the above average player.

Reactions: blazerplayer1717
The players should form a licensing Association even if they can't legally make a labor union under the NLRB and sell their likeness as a giant package to EA, Nike, whoever.
And that should’ve and could’ve been done already if the ncaa pulled their collective head out of their hind parts and got out in front of this issue. The other roadblock to this would be big time players at big time schools who likely would scoff at having to profit share with the likes of Purdue, Rutgers, WVU, UVA, Pitt, etc. players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT