ADVERTISEMENT

Liberty Hires Freeze

My issue is with the Falwell’s more than “religious” colleges, what that family has been spewing for the past 40 years is pure hate solely to line their pockets. I was raised both Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic so I’ve had a lot of church in my life, what the Falwell’s, Pat Robertson and that Jeffords jaggo preach isn’t religion in anyway they subvert it the same way the likes of the Taliban do.
Bingo the Falwells are fraud$ first and foremost as anyone who lived through the 80s can attest ... I live in Ga and churchgoers here see the hypocrisy in Liberty hiring Freeze... evangelicals have been doing much to prove their hypocri$y lately... much. This is yet another example of that. Their “hero” couldn’t even be bothered to recite the Apostles creed last week at the George HW Bush funeral service... but they just love em ... spare me.

I don't favor any "official" discriminatory or hateful policies in any religion or any other organization. It's wrong in all of them.

But it's hypocrisy to rip others and declare THEY should be demonized and kept out of a (what amounts to purely a business organization) while rationalizing and justifying your own that continues to maintain the same offensive policies.

You're calling to keep Liberty and BYU from the party ... where's your public cry to kick out Notre Dame, or Villanova, or dozens of others from the NCAA or whatever (athletic, aka business) conference they might be in?

You've shown ME the light. If Notre Dame happens to win the playoff, it should be nullified! In fact, I declare Pitt the winner of the ND game this year. After all, Pitt to my knowledge has no policy that homosexuality is evil and women can't hold positions of leadership. I also don't think Pitt would advocate covering up sexual assaults and transfer of the offenders to other departments to resume doing it to new students.

Pitt is hereby now 8-5.

Pfft. This "everyone's bad except MY party/race/religion/sex" thing is so emblematic of why there is such discord and dysfunction.

For me, it's this simple: If an ND or Nova player come out of the closet, they would be greeted by love and support from their university community. If the same thing happened at BYU or Liberty, they'd be expelled. And that's the difference, friends.

For me, it's this simple: If an ND or Nova player come out of the closet, they would be greeted by love and support from their university community. If the same thing happened at BYU or Liberty, they'd be expelled. And that's the difference, friends.
I know a girl who played on Liberty's basketball team, and there were more than a couple of gay teammates there who were pretty open about their orientation. Nobody got expelled.

The girl's mother is white, and her dad is black. She takes after her dad, and didn't experience the racism others are so convinced exists there.

Reactions: BFo8
I know a girl who played on Liberty's basketball team, and there were more than a couple of gay teammates there who were pretty open about their orientation. Nobody got expelled.

The girl's mother is white, and her dad is black. She takes after her dad, and didn't experience the racism others are so convinced exists there.

Is it possible is that coaches/administrators look the other way? Maybe, I don't know.

From their website:

"Liberty University maintains its Christian mission and reserves its right to discriminate on the basis of religion to the extent that applicable law respects its right to act in furtherance of its religious objectives."

Translation: if you are gay, you are gone.

Keep ranting lies and gibberish. It's amusing.

Cannot believe nobody mentioned his quote at his Liberty presser. Probably one of the biggest face palm moments in the history of college football press conferences.

Liberty requires all applicants for faculty or staff to submit a religious acceptance and dedication to faith.

The fact people are angry about liberty is BS. All religions have rules that you are expected to live by. Liberty and BYU don’t allow room for challenging those beliefs. You choose to go there knowing exactly what is expected. No surprises.

See, that would have gotten her kicked off of PSU's basketball team in the 90's.

BYU and Liberty shouldn't be grouped together because BYU has removed their clause prohibiting advocacy of greater rights for GLBT students and removed the gay = honor code violation. Liberty went the opposite direction and since 2011? codified a ban specifically aimed at "non biblical sexual behavior" (or something like that). I do think it will be an obstacle for them to join any conferences with majority public or quasi-public universities.

Liberty has the right to run their school how they want but not if they want federal funds and not if they want to join a sports conference made up of schools with different values.

Yes it's the Baylor AD. His school bio notes "McCaw created a robust sports ministry program that included student-athlete and team mission trips and service programs, and he strengthened the school's relationship with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes."

It doesn't mention anything about the things you wouldn't expect them to mention of course.

Reactions: pittdan77
BYU and Liberty shouldn't be grouped together because BYU has removed their clause prohibiting advocacy of greater rights for GLBT students and removed the gay = honor code violation. Liberty went the opposite direction and since 2011? codified a ban specifically aimed at "non biblical sexual behavior" (or something like that). I do think it will be an obstacle for them to join any conferences with majority public or quasi-public universities.

Liberty has the right to run their school how they want but not if they want federal funds and not if they want to join a sports conference made up of schools with different values.

The Big South kicked them out, for reasons similar to MWC/BYU (all in or all out) but they were leaving the conference for FBS so you would have thought the Big South would have been cool with that. After all, Liberty has the best facilities and had the most overall sports success in that league. So, Liberty joined the lower-rung Atlantic Sun. The public schools in that league do not see a problem with them or Lipscomb, which is a very similar evangelical college.

The Big South kicked them out, for reasons similar to MWC/BYU (all in or all out) but they were leaving the conference for FBS so you would have thought the Big South would have been cool with that. After all, Liberty has the best facilities and had the most overall sports success in that league. So, Liberty joined the lower-rung Atlantic Sun. The public schools in that league do not see a problem with them or Lipscomb, which is a very similar evangelical college.

I think it's going be different among flagship state/quasi-state schools. A lot of the bastions of social liberalism, even in conservative states, are in the bigger college towns.

Could they make it into the Sunbelt? Sure, maybe? IDK enough to even guess there.

I think it's going be different among flagship state/quasi-state schools. A lot of the bastions of social liberalism, even in conservative states, are in the bigger college towns.

Could they make it into the Sunbelt? Sure, maybe? IDK enough to even guess there.

I agree on the first paragraph. Essentially, not enough people at Kennesaw State or North Florida care enough to care about adding Liberty.

As for the Sun Belt, I think they SHOULD add them but they turned down Liberty's offer of $24 million.

How does Liberty currently get Federal funds?

Billions in federally subsidized financial aid. Grove City refuses this because they don't want the strings attached to it. Liberty is happy to take the money because it's fueled growth from 5000 to 50000 students (majority online) in about 15 years:

In the late 1990s, Liberty students received less than $20 million in aid. Students now receive over $800 million dollars a year in federal aid.

Student financial aid is all part of Liberty’s business model. The school has had distance education programs since the days of VHS tapes and correspondence exams by mail. When online courses expanded the capability of schools to provide courses, Liberty was poised to provide a unique curriculum and programs for conservative evangelicals.
One reason for the school’s growth is the expansion of federal aid in 2009. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (also called “the stimulus”) increased Pell Grant funding by over $15 billion dollars, and 800,000 more students qualified for the grants. Liberty students increased their total Pell Grants from $18.7 million to $44.2 million, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Its students also qualified for federal student loans. In 2008-09, Liberty undergraduates received $92.7 million in federal loans. Four years later, Liberty’s undergraduates received $241.4 million in federal loans (2012-13 was the latest year of available data)

They have also gotten state grants for physical expansion projects directly.

Liberty grads have been retuning their diplomas due to what that jag has been doing.

Wait a minute. In my view, "jag" is too kind a description of Falwell Senior or Junior . . . but you mean those alums didn't know what Liberty was when they enrolled there?

Last edited:
Billions in federally subsidized financial aid. Grove City refuses this because they don't want the strings attached to it. Liberty is happy to take the money because it's fueled growth from 5000 to 50000 students (majority online) in about 15 years:

In the late 1990s, Liberty students received less than $20 million in aid. Students now receive over $800 million dollars a year in federal aid.
Student financial aid is all part of Liberty’s business model. The school has had distance education programs since the days of VHS tapes and correspondence exams by mail. When online courses expanded the capability of schools to provide courses, Liberty was poised to provide a unique curriculum and programs for conservative evangelicals.
One reason for the school’s growth is the expansion of federal aid in 2009. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (also called “the stimulus”) increased Pell Grant funding by over $15 billion dollars, and 800,000 more students qualified for the grants. Liberty students increased their total Pell Grants from $18.7 million to $44.2 million, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Its students also qualified for federal student loans. In 2008-09, Liberty undergraduates received $92.7 million in federal loans. Four years later, Liberty’s undergraduates received $241.4 million in federal loans (2012-13 was the latest year of available data)

They have also gotten state grants for physical expansion projects directly.

I was wondering how a school who can discriminate as other posters have said, would be eligible for federal funding?

I was wondering how a school who can discriminate as other posters have said, would be eligible for federal funding?

They were on the path to a showdown over that issue in 2016, then Trump was elected and DeVos is the secretary of education. Nothing is going to happen to them on this issue for the next two years, at least.

They were on the path to a showdown over that issue in 2016, then Trump was elected and DeVos is the secretary of education. Nothing is going to happen to them on this issue for the next two years, at least.

At least they are a non-profit. I totally loved when the Obama administration threatened to take federal funding away from the for-profit scam "colleges" if they didn't improve their dismal placement rates. Of course, now, DeVos has reversed course on that and the education for profit schools can continue scamming their way to billions

Reactions: TempleBAPittMPA
At least they are a non-profit. I totally loved when the Obama administration threatened to take federal funding away from the for-profit scam "colleges" if they didn't improve their dismal placement rates. Of course, now, DeVos has reversed course on that and the education for profit schools can continue scamming their way to billions

They're a non profit -- so they don't pay taxes -- despite being more of a competitor to University of Phoenix than they are to traditional schools. Not sure I agree it's a good thing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT