ADVERTISEMENT

Long time popular bands/artists that you don't like

A caveat before my list. I don't like the following bands/artists, but me not liking them does not mean I think they "suck". Some people are stupid and think because they don't like something, it means they suck. Nope, these are just my personal dislikes. Oh, by the way, some may actually suck.

Aerosmith
Boston
Most Hair Metal
Stevie Ray Vaughn
ZZ Top
I really am not a Beatles fan
Grateful Dead
Country Music pretty much as a whole
Insipid R&B Hip Hop crap that pervades the top 40 airwaves now.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
A caveat before my list. I don't like the following bands/artists, but me not liking them does not mean I think they "suck". Some people are stupid and think because they don't like something, it means they suck. Nope, these are just my personal dislikes. Oh, by the way, some may actually suck.

Aerosmith
Boston
Most Hair Metal
Stevie Ray Vaughn
ZZ Top
I really am not a Beatles fan
Grateful Dead
Country Music pretty much as a whole
Insipid R&B Hip Hop crap that pervades the top 40 airwaves now.

I agree, though I do think most of the top 40 today does suck. Very little originality. Top 40 may have sucked somewhat when I was a kid (80s) but there was a ton of variety in sound. Not so much today.

-Radiohead is my number 1 by far. Absolutely hate every song Ive ever tried to listen to by them
-Nirvana (and most grunge)
-Dave Matthews-opened for him at Star Lake forever ago, cool ass dude, hate his music.
-Auto Tune kid rappers
-The Smiths/Depeche Mode and all those WXXP new wave type bands

I never met him, but I saw Dave Mathews on Howard Stern and came away with a pretty similar opinion. Just seemed like a guy I would really like in real life. Still, I'm just not a fan of his music (except Crash Into Me, which I dig).

I feel similarly about Radiohead, too. I've tried to like Ok Computer, and, just like Loveless from My Bloody Valentine and maybe even Morning Phase from Beck (though I probably haven't given that one a fair shake), I just don't see what all the praise is about. It just doesn't seem like that type of music is very difficult to make. I do like Creep from Radiohead, though true Radiohead fans probably view that song as I view poppy songs that aren't really a great representation of some of the bands I like, haha.

I will say this for Radiohead, though (not that they necessarily had anything to do with making it)... Paranoid Android is one of the greatest music videos of all time. I'd say it's that and November Rain (GnR really nailed an ambiance that I'm not even positive they were actually going for) are at the top, at least off the top off my head.

I'm submitting two entries because I forgot two terrible bands that Mrs Buffett and I went to see twice only because we love music.

Vote early and often.

Hottie and the Blowfish -cracked rear view cd
Meatloaf-bat out of hell

That reminds me
Jimmy buffet
Kenny chesney
Toby Keith

I was about to ask let's get the Buffett haters out.

Mrs Buffett and I went to see all three at this past summer.
Toby Keith & Chesney at Hard Rock, Buffett in a Parrothead Meeting of the Minds Party in Key West.

Toby Keith opened up his packed standing room only concert at Hard Rock with this .

"I've been doing this a long time and I can do it my way . (Loud cheers )
I plan on playing patriotic, pro military, pro police, pro USA songs tonight so if you dont like that music you can leave now" (louder cheers)

We saw two less than American Patriots leave or crawl out like the rats they are.(even louder cheers from the standings room only packed house.)
Lol!

"Its five o'clock somewhere "

Last edited:
I was about to ask let's get the Buffett haters out.

Mrs Buffett and I went to see all three at this past summer.
Toby Keith & Chesney at Hard Rock, Buffett in a Parrothead Meeting of the Minds Party in Key West.

Toby Keith opened up his packed standing room only concert at Hard Rock with this .

"I've been doing this a long time and I can do it my way . (Loud cheers )
I plan on playing patriotic, pro military, pro police, pro USA songs tonight so if you dont like that music you can leave now" (louder cheers)

We saw two less than American Patriots leave or crawl out like the rats they are.(even louder cheers from the standings room only packed house.)
Lol!

"Its five o'clock somewhere "
Dumb people like dumb music -
Especially jingoistic stupidity

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
If a person can’t like The Roots or Tribe Called Quest-
I probably don’t want to socialize with them
I guess I won't be getting an invite to your next party. LOL. But judging by the kind of playlist you would cobble, together, I'd rather stay home. I'll just shake it off.

Haha, most of my favorites began in the 60's or 70's. For example, Bob Dylan would be very near the top of my list. But I also like a lot of 80's and 90's stuff. I really don't have a definitive time period or anything... it's just that I've tried to get into some of the newer bands out there and couldn't. I think I just have an innate hatred for most things modern, and unfortunately it includes music. I actually wish there were some newer bands out there I was into. I mean, I like some Ryan Adams songs... some Craig Finn stuff... a little Hawksley Workman material... a tiny bit from The National... some stuff from Deer Tick. But I don't feel the same way listening to any of this stuff as I used to when I'd first listen to albums back in my younger day. There have been people who have tried to get me into some newer bands, and I just don't connect with 99.99999% of them.

Deer Tick, Craig Finn, and Hawksley Workman. Wow. I wasn’t expect that response. You have and unusual mix there. Certainly traveling a bit more off the beaten path than most to find music you like.

Which songs appeal to you most from these guys? I can appreciate a few of their songs, but I can’t take too much of It. I need to feel the music as much as (if not more) than take in the words.

Personally, I am open to anything that sounds good and feels original. I could care less about the genre.
I guess in the end we all either just like something or we don’t. You are either moved or you aren’t.

Besides being a hilarious statement, I think you might mean executive producer. He wasnt behind the board too often. Ive been a fan since day 1 and I couldnt even name 1 song hes produced music for
Besides being a hilarious statement, I think you might mean executive producer. He wasnt behind the board too often. Ive been a fan since day 1 and I couldnt even name 1 song hes produced music for

Yes. Executive Producer. Let’s not get caught up on semantics here. He still oversees his projects and makes sure everything is how he wants it. My point is that I can appreciate the beats and hooks and most everything else with his music, but when he opens his mouth to rap. Everything goes flat.

There is nothing uniquely different or interesting about the tone of his voice. Take Empire State of Mind just as one example. When Alicia Keys stops singing and he starts rapping, it kills the song. Maybe someone can argue the words he says are enough. To that I say whatever. I just don’t get it.

I will admit, from a financial standpoint, it was brilliant to do things the way he did them so he can reap all of the benefits.

Yes. Executive Producer. Let’s not get caught up on semantics here. He still oversees his projects and makes sure everything is how he wants it. My point is that I can appreciate the beats and hooks and most everything else with his music, but when he opens his mouth to rap. Everything goes flat.

There is nothing uniquely different or interesting about the tone of his voice. Take Empire State of Mind just as one example. When Alicia Keys stops singing and he starts rapping, it kills the song. Maybe someone can argue the words he says are enough. To that I say whatever. I just don’t get it.

I will admit, from a financial standpoint, it was brilliant to do things the way he did them so he can reap all of the benefits.
In fairness -
Anything that interrupts Alicia Key’s voice is a come
Down

I could be wrong, and I certainly don't mean to offend the battalion of Kiss Army, but I've always viewed them as more of a spectacle/lifestyle than an actual serious band... kind of how The Fast and the Furious isn't trying to be a great movie in a traditional sense but is instead trying to appeal to a certain audience and relying on a loud of loud noises and visuals rather than a brilliant script.
Their music is not serious, but it's fun and harkens back to that time, I enjoy hearing a KISS song from time to time, they are adolescent fluff mostly, "Christine 16" borders on pedophilia, LOL, it's like a time capsule.

U2
Stones
Led Zep

I don't hate them, I do enjoy some of there songs, but I just can't say that I worship those 3 the way most people do.

Steve Miller Band

mindless dreck. Lyrics that could have been written by a 12 year old.
or enjoyable, does not have to have a profound impact on my life, as I just want to have a beer and listen to a tune type lyrics...can you give us an example of non mindless dreck in rock?

Reactions: Pitt79
I respectfully disagree. And while he wouldnt be in MY personal top 5, his skill and place in history as a legend cannot be disputed. Even slightly. And you site his most intentionally cheesy pop song as a point of reference. Cmon man. I have a hard time taking anyone's opinion who think for an MC that what he says doesnt matter, but humor me, who are some worthy MCs in your eyes

REM is a terrible freakin band.

phish too. Every person in my high school liked phish in late 90s, this desire to be a teenage dead head. Annoyed me to no end.

You might not like REM but they wrote some pretty great songs, at least early on. I like their stuff up until about 88 and then it starts going sideways for me. Monster and Hi Fi were great though.

or enjoyable, does not have to have a profound impact on my life, as I just want to have a beer and listen to a tune type lyrics...can you give us an example of non mindless dreck in rock?
I really like Steve Miller, they where like the soundtrack of my high school days. Great tunes and the lyrics where pretty damn good IMO.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I really like Steve Miller, they where like the soundtrack of my high school days. Great tunes and the lyrics where pretty damn good IMO.
I have a soft spot for Steve Miller cause he came to star lake amphitheater every summer when we were in high school and it was always a great concert.

You and two dozen of your high school classmates drinking beer in a parking lot in Burgettstown with zero fear will make an avg convert that much better.

everyone loves the joker but the Stake is a bad song on a CD but an incredible “live” song.

Last edited:
Reactions: caleco's
I respectfully disagree. And while he wouldnt be in MY personal top 5, his skill and place in history as a legend cannot be disputed. Even slightly. And you site his most intentionally cheesy pop song as a point of reference. Cmon man. I have a hard time taking anyone's opinion who think for an MC that what he says doesnt matter, but humor me, who are some worthy MCs in your eyes

Look, I want to be careful here. I never said what Jay Z writes doesn’t matter. He deserves credit for having substance. He often writes about and raps about things of substance - things that matter- I appreciate that he doesn’t just rap about superficial crap. I respect Jay Z for his writing skills and ability to pull the right people together to collaborate and create some nice beat and music.

The thing is - and this is my personal feeling- he has a rather flat vocal tone that lacks emotion and inflection- To me there is no “Wow” factor in his delivery that (for me) leaves a lot to be desired. His just doesn’t bring that extra vocal something to the table when he raps. Not like Chuck D or Notoriois, B.I.G. or Eminem, or NAS, or Kurtis Blow, Snoop, Kendrick Lamar, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, LL Cool J, Lauren Hill, DMX, Busta Rhymes, Mos Def, Andre 3000, Drake, Big Daddy Kane, Niki Minaj or say Rakim Again, Jay- Z has put out some good stuff, but even he has said of himself, "I'm not an artist; I'm a hustler."

It is amazing how he has helped lift he peers up along the way to help make them successful More successful as well. Maybe that was partly to boost his own fame and popularity with the masses, but he does seem to genuinely like helping others and even grateful for his rise and success.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT