ADVERTISEMENT

Look at the Bright side: Basketball Season is starting.

Panther_in_Kentucky

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2001
HA HA HA.

Pitt: Incompetent and Proud of it.

I apologize for every demeaning comment I've ever made about WVU. The Hillbillies with less advantage in everything are light years ahead of Pitt in Athletics.

The hoopies can recruit quality players to that God awful place every year in both sports. Yet we have posters on here saying that it's impossible for Pitt to be better than this because this is who we are. But not long ago, like maybe 4 or 5 years ago, we were going to NCAA tournaments and not long before that, we were ranked #1 in hoops. What changed? We have a great city to sell and great facilities, not to mention a great university. What makes Morgantown better than that?

Hmmmm, in hoops we got a braindead AD and a successful coach was forced out by that braindead AD and his big mouth, big money boosters. In football, we were content to hire an unproven assistant with no track record as a head coach. And now we have an AD who may challenge our coaches in those 2 sports with not having a single clue about what to do. How encouraging!

Pitt basketball was on a downward spiral before Dixon left. I am beginning to think Pitt just cant compete with the ACC in those two sports

The hoopies can recruit quality players to that God awful place every year in both sports. Yet we have posters on here saying that it's impossible for Pitt to be better than this because this is who we are. But not long ago, like maybe 4 or 5 years ago, we were going to NCAA tournaments and not long before that, we were ranked #1 in hoops. What changed? We have a great city to sell and great facilities, not to mention a great university. What makes Morgantown better than that?

Hmmmm, in hoops we got a braindead AD and a successful coach was forced out by that braindead AD and his big mouth, big money boosters. In football, we were content to hire an unproven assistant with no track record as a head coach. And now we have an AD who may challenge our coaches in those 2 sports with not having a single clue about what to do. How encouraging!
WVU is everything to their state and fans. They will do whatever it takes to win. Pitt is the school of sports mediocrity and second fiddle to pro sports in Pittsburgh.

I look for Pitt to pull the upset tomorrow.

Yes, that's right. Pitt is a 2.5 point underdog to Navy in basketball. A friend of mine told me today he never realized Navy had a basketball team.

I look for Pitt to pull the upset tomorrow.

Yes, that's right. Pitt is a 2.5 point underdog to Navy in basketball. A friend of mine told me today he never realized Navy had a basketball team.

A Pitt fan? Cmon man Paul Evans, not to mention David Robinson.

Pitt basketball was on a downward spiral before Dixon left. I am beginning to think Pitt just cant compete with the ACC in those two sports

Define “downward spiral” because in Dixon’s last year pitt went to the tournament.

Define “downward spiral” because in Dixon’s last year pitt went to the tournament.

barely. Far cry from being a number 1 seed. Basically it was a hit or miss if Pitt would be selected by the selection committee. Obviously they were going in the wrong direction

No, they were in a downturn but Dixon would have brought them back up again. What you are witnessing now is “the black hole”.

No, they were in a downturn but Dixon would have brought them back up again. What you are witnessing now is “the black hole”.

Their recruiting wasn't good enough for Dixon to have brought them back. From what I have read it seems like Pitt didn't spend the money needed to help Dixon with regards to his assistant coaches and recruiting. TCU has spent money on both and Dixon is doing a good job with good talent. Just like in football the main problem with Pitt basketball was recruiting.

Pitt is a laughingstock for opening the door for Dixon to leave. Even when they bring in a good coach they screw it up.

Pitt did in fact make the tourney in 2013, 14, and 16. They were a number 8 seed in 13, number 9 seed in 14, and a number 10 seed in 2016. It was obvious that the move to the ACC had affected them in a negative way.

The trend was going down not up. Including 2012 and 2015 where they didn't even make the tourney and that was five consecutive years of average at best basketball

Pitt did in fact make the tourney in 2013, 14, and 16. They were a number 8 seed in 13, number 9 seed in 14, and a number 10 seed in 2016. It was obvious that the move to the ACC had affected them in a negative way.

The trend was going down not up. Including 2012 and 2015 where they didn't even make the tourney and that was five consecutive years of average at best basketball
You don’t understand what the word average means

You don’t understand what the word average means

40-50% of teams from major D1 conferences make the NCAAT so Pitt was pretty average those last 5 years.

Reactions: pittman71
My friend coaches at one of the best high school programs in the country and said at the time it would be a huge mistake to let Dixon go. I wasn't sure I believed him because I thought Dixon was underachieving. He said Dixon was highly regarded in coaching circles as one of the best in the country. In hindsight its obvious to see it was a terrible mistake. We literally couldn't give the coaching job away after Dixon was let go. No young up and coming mid major coach would touch that job with a 10 foot pole because they let go a great coach who had just made the ncaa tourney. Ended up with a 56 year old coach who made the ncaa tournament 7 times in 21 seasons, and flopped the years he did make it.

Last edited:
My friend coaches at one of the best high school programs in the country and said at the time it would be a huge mistake to let Dixon go. I wasn't sure I believed him because I thought Dixon was underachieving. He said Dixon was highly regarded in coaching circles as one of the best in the country. In hindsight its obvious to see it was a terrible mistake. We literally couldn't give the coaching job away after Dixon was let go. No young up and coming mid major coach would touch that job with a 10 foot pole and they let go a great coach who had just made the ncaa tourney. Ended up with a 56 year old coach who made the ncaa tournament 7 times in 21 seasons, and flopped the years he did make it.

if that is the case why didn't these coaches direct some of their great high school players to Pitt?

Dixon didn't seem to want to be here anymore. I don't know what happened. Pitt got stale for him maybe. He clearly wanted no part of the ACC and just quit on recruiting.

I admit that I don't know the first thing about BB and I'm just a casual Pitt BB fan. I loved the so-called "boring" wins from Jamie's early years. That was fun to watch and I loved the atmosphere when I was invited to go to those games by friends. Those same friends who donated lots of money and knew Jamie personally, knew something was wrong and that he wanted to leave even before that last season started. Even they didn't know what happened and they were friends with Jamie and still communicate with him.

Reactions: pittman71
My friend coaches at one of the best high school programs in the country and said at the time it would be a huge mistake to let Dixon go. I wasn't sure I believed him because I thought Dixon was underachieving. He said Dixon was highly regarded in coaching circles as one of the best in the country. In hindsight its obvious to see it was a terrible mistake. We literally couldn't give the coaching job away after Dixon was let go. No young up and coming mid major coach would touch that job with a 10 foot pole because they let go a great coach who had just made the ncaa tourney. Ended up with a 56 year old coach who made the ncaa tournament 7 times in 21 seasons, and flopped the years he did make it.

The only people who didn’t appreciate Dixon were pittsburghers.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Pitt was not in a downward "spiral" when Dixon left. I agree that Pitt was not performing at the level that we had gotten used to with Dixon, but definitely not in a downward spiral. We're now in a downward death spiral in one short year with Stallings.

Dixon didn't seem to want to be here anymore. I don't know what happened. Pitt got stale for him maybe. He clearly wanted no part of the ACC and just quit on recruiting.

I admit that I don't know the first thing about BB and I'm just a casual Pitt BB fan. I loved the so-called "boring" wins from Jamie's early years. That was fun to watch and I loved the atmosphere when I was invited to go to those games by friends. Those same friends who donated lots of money and knew Jamie personally, knew something was wrong and that he wanted to leave even before that last season started. Even they didn't know what happened and they were friends with Jamie and still communicate with him.
1) Nordenberg and Cochran retired.
2) Pederson started to meddle.
3) Fewer fans were attending.
4) Barnes comes in and is more vocal about changing the schedule that Dixon had perfected to gain a good RPI.
5) There is friction between Barnes and Dixon.
6) The admin suspends D. Johnson for the year. Pitt wants to play the holier than thou card. Dixon not happy with this.

Add it up. Pitt screwed the pooch again.

https://kenpom.com/

Tcu is ranked 14, Pitt is ranked 121. Jamie Dixon was a great coach, getting rid of him was a travesty. Hiring a retread loser like Kevin Stallings was worse.

I just don't see how some posters on here don't see how absolutely stupid it was to want Dixon gone. Maybe his last 2 years were not up to his standards, but he would have us now on a much better path than we are on currently. There's just no debating this.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
HA HA HA.

Pitt: Incompetent and Proud of it.

I apologize for every demeaning comment I've ever made about WVU. The Hillbillies with less advantage in everything are light years ahead of Pitt in Athletics.
You must be a Nitter? I've said that for years and have always been called a Nitter for doing so. YES, they are WAY BETTER at sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT