ADVERTISEMENT

LSU and Canada "nearing agreement"

Part of me wants to be bitter because Canada comes here for his friend Narduzzi after getting run out of NC St, runs an amazing offense this year, gets nominated for top assistant, then LSU just slides in out of no where with a coach that I don't think even has worked with Canada and is en route to stealing him. And (even though most weren't crazy about Chaney) we lose two OC's in two years

But, money talks, it's the SEC, such is life in college football, losing coordinators happens to everyone, etc...

At least we're not losing another head coach. These things happen when your coordinators thrive.

So who are the top prospects to fill the opening?

I'd have a hard time believing it wont be Tim Salem for various reasons:

1. He learned Canada's offense and I'm sure Narduzzi would prefer to keep that playbook.

2. He wont be the "next big thing" after 1 year, even if he is very successful. Just cant see a blue blood coming after him.

3. Just seems like the safe pick.

This staff has been pretty stable except for the OC position. It's been MUCH better recently than the last 10 years WRT maintaining stability with the FB coaches. Wanny lost coordinators and other coaches too. Besides, players are more important than the coaches overall.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Just saw that article tweeted. Pretty hard to pass up. Need to find another oc that can help the offense thrive.

DAMN DAMN DAMN

If Canada does leave, I hope he gouges LSU for a crap ton of money.

If the money isn't super high Pitt should match.

This staff has been pretty stable except for the OC position. It's been MUCH better recently than the last 10 years WRT maintaining stability with the FB coaches. Wanny lost coordinators and other coaches too. Besides, players are more important than the coaches overall.
The OC position is the most important
DAMN DAMN DAMN

If Canada does leave, I hope he gouges LSU for a crap ton of money.

If the money isn't super high Pitt should match.
he gone

I'm not just saying this as a Pitt homer but I think it's a bad move.

He does well next year at Pitt he's a head coach.

He flat lines a little vs Alabama and auburn etc and he backslides

I agree. it is rolling the dice on his primary goal for a short term bump.

Reactions: vietvet1

No guarantees here either. James is gone, losing 2 likely relatively high OL NFL draft picks and a total unknown at QB.

You are going off the deep end..
giphy.gif

I wouldn't want to be on Orgeron's staff. I can't see him being there in 2 years.....but i guess canada is ok jumping around all over the place year to year. Damn.

Bring back Walt Harris. He is a great offensive mind.
A lot of my favorite Panther memories and wins came during Walt's tenure. I will always have a soft spot for him.

I tagged along with a defensive recruit from my high school on a visit with Walt. We had a nice lunch and tour of Pitt stadium. I was going through health issues at the time and Mr. Harris was very inspirational and encouraging. He shared the story of his courageous battle with polio and how he had to spend a lot of time in an iron lung. He was such a down to earth guy.

I'm glad Walt still hangs around the program. Its nice seeing him pop up at practices.

Reactions: Piranha
You have the guarantee of playing the acc coastal without Alabama vs the sec west with Alabama.

Yea I get that too. Only time will tell and we may never know what was right or wrong in terms of his career. But I'm guessing he's getting PAID and unless he completely sharts himself he'll be there for at least 3 years. So in financial terms might be a bird in the hand.

I wouldn't want to be on Orgeron's staff. I can't see him being there in 2 years.....but i guess canada is ok jumping around all over the place year to year. Damn.
I believe I read that he has had 6 jobs in 12 years so he is a bit of a mercenary, but it took a perfect storm for us to lose him after just one year.

IDK.....Bo Pellini parlayed a DC gig at LSU into a HC at Nebraska.

I think the coaching fraternity looks at the SEC the way a triple A ballplayer looks at the majors......

But....you may be right, although I also think his biggest challenge is not BAMA....but can he work for Orgeron?

We shall see...but to me, he has to take this opportunity.

I'd have a hard time believing it wont be Tim Salem for various reasons:

1. He learned Canada's offense and I'm sure Narduzzi would prefer to keep that playbook.

2. He wont be the "next big thing" after 1 year, even if he is very successful. Just cant see a blue blood coming after him.

3. Just seems like the safe pick.

Coach Salem seems like a good guy, but making him OC would be a big mistake, IMHO. For one thing, learning Canada's offense and teaching Canada's offense are vastly different things.

I think the last thing we want is a safe pick. We need to be bold.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
IDK.....Bo Pellini parlayed a DC gig at LSU into a HC at Nebraska.

I think the coaching fraternity looks at the SEC the way a triple A ballplayer looks at the majors......

But....you may be right, although I also think his biggest challenge is not BAMA....but can he work for Orgeron?

We shall see...but to me, he has to take this opportunity.

I think I could be a successful D.C. At lsu. Offensive? We shall see

I think I could be a successful D.C. At lsu. Offensive? We shall see
One of the two reason's he will most likely head to LSU
1. Pitt's offense is likely to take a step back. We lose our QB,TE and 2 of the better OL.
2. LSU has had a shitty offense for years. If Canada struggles he will get a 2nd year for sure and maybe a third(same as at Pitt) but if he has success he can name his next HC gig because no one has been able to produce a top 20 offense at LSU.

I don't think he is going ? And I'm not a big Canada fan.
He finished great but his conservative play calling early in the season may have cost us the ACC championship, game, a better bowl game or possible playoff spot.
But hid did a great job in the end and Pitt finished good offensively even in loses and I'd like to see him stay. Everyone should keep in mind that he hasn't agreed yet,he is just meeting today according to most articles I've read.
Why does everyone feel that because a SEC school calls your automatically leaving, remember he did come to Pitt after NC state with SEC and other big name offers at that time. There is still some loyalty and I believe he will give his friend (coach Narduzzi) and Pitt an opportunity to match or make a competitive offer and they will. And he will stay.
Damn everybody is so pessimistic.

A lot of my favorite Panther memories and wins came during Walt's tenure. I will always have a soft spot for him.

I tagged along with a defensive recruit from my high school on a visit with Walt. We had a nice lunch and tour of Pitt stadium. I was going through health issues at the time and Mr. Harris was very inspirational and encouraging. He shared the story of his courageous battle with polio and how he had to spend a lot of time in an iron lung. He was such a down to earth guy.

I'm glad Walt still hangs around the program. Its nice seeing him pop up at practices.

I never knew that story. You should tell me about it in NYC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT