ADVERTISEMENT

USA Baseball vs England....who you got

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
This World Baseball Classic cracks me up with their very loose eligibility requirements. For example, Klay Thompson's brother (didn't even know he had a brother who played baseball) is playing for Great Britain because his dad was born, not in GB, but in the Bahamas and the Bahamas was once a colony of England. I think all of the GB players are American but have some link there. I dont mind it if they are a citizen due to one of their parents being a citizen but I think MLB allows anyone to play for anyone as long as you have some ancestral link even if its several generations back to that country.

All this said, I am a sucker for national team competitions so as horrible as a sport baseball is to watch, I will watch some of this. Wished they wouldn't do it opposite March Madness and instead in mid-summer and take a break from the MLB season but I know the owners would never go for that. Baseball is the furthest thing from people's minds right now but if you take a 2 week break in the summer, all the kids are off school and they get into these types of competitions. Would have a chance to grow the fanbase.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
This World Baseball Classic cracks me up with their very loose eligibility requirements. For example, Klay Thompson's brother (didn't even know he had a brother who played baseball) is playing for Great Britain because his dad was born, not in GB, but in the Bahamas and the Bahamas was once a colony of England. I think all of the GB players are American but have some link there. I dont mind it if they are a citizen due to one of their parents being a citizen but I think MLB allows anyone to play for anyone as long as you have some ancestral link even if its several generations back to that country.

All this said, I am a sucker for national team competitions so as horrible as a sport baseball is to watch, I will watch some of this. Wished they wouldn't do it opposite March Madness and instead in mid-summer and take a break from the MLB season but I know the owners would never go for that. Baseball is the furthest thing from people's minds right now but if you take a 2 week break in the summer, all the kids are off school and they get into these types of competitions. Would have a chance to grow the fanbase.
I'll take the Fightin' George Washingtons over the Redcoats in this game.

The only thing that has any chance of significantly growing the fanbase is a salary floor and cap. The WBC, pitch clocks, eliminating the shift - all good things but basically they are the curtains and drapes of a house. The salary floor/cap issue is a cracked foundation.

Who cares??? What the hell is this event??? This is the biggest "who give a f**k event" that I have ever seen.

You got conference tourneys going on then the NCAA. The TPC starts today. NBA and NHL are entering stretch runs. I think the Champions League is still playing.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This World Baseball Classic cracks me up with their very loose eligibility requirements. For example, Klay Thompson's brother (didn't even know he had a brother who played baseball) is playing for Great Britain because his dad was born, not in GB, but in the Bahamas and the Bahamas was once a colony of England.
Yeah, Trayce Thompson has bounced between the Dodgers and their AAA team over the past few years.

Who cares??? What the hell is this event??? This is the biggest "who give a f**k event" that I have ever seen.

You got conference tourneys going on then the NCAA. The TPC starts today. NBA and NHL are entering stretch runs. I think the Champions League is still playing.
When it comes to America......I always care.

Beat it, Commie!!

• Haha
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Yea, awful time of year to have it but leave it to MLB to eff it up. If it were me, I'd start the season 1 week early, end it 1 week later and start playing games after the All-Star Break or even the Monday and Tuesday of the All-Star game between teams who are not likely to have all-stars.

Everyone has their own tastes. On my list, WBC is ahead of TPC and Champions League, but behind NCAA mens basketball, NBA, and NHL. Some people would have WBC even higher.

People who like baseball?

Yea, awful time of year to have it but leave it to MLB to eff it up. If it were me, I'd start the season 1 week early, end it 1 week later and start playing games after the All-Star Break or even the Monday and Tuesday of the All-Star game between teams who are not likely to have all-stars.

Extending the season any further is a bad idea given it’s already too long. Just move opening day to mid-April. No one would really care outside of those that stand to lose $$$.

Why does baseball have 162 games, I think it's just because when it started, they could make more money selling tickets every day. There was no TV or radio etc. They could probably get by on 60 games every year, but of course that messes up all the records.

Baseball is definitely boring.

Soccer is the most boring activity in the history of the universe.
It's all opinion, lot's of 0-0 soccer games are exciting and action packed compared to any baseball game, where nothing is ever going on. But everyone has their own preferences.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT