ADVERTISEMENT

Article Lyke expresses confidence in football program

"you know, we all have expectations that we want to win and be as competitive as possible, even when you don’t win."

Heather, please define "as competitive as possible". If you are telling us we expect to be a contender in the Coastal year in and year out, fine.

If you are suggesting however, that competitive as possible means 6-6 and crap bowl games, then I'm going golfing.

"you know, we all have expectations that we want to win and be as competitive as possible, even when you don’t win."

Heather, please define "as competitive as possible". If you are telling us we expect to be a contender in the Coastal year in and year out, fine.

If you are suggesting however, that competitive as possible means 6-6 and crap bowl games, then I'm going golfing.
I think she means that we shouldn't get blown out by anyone, i.e. PSU/UCF

She will never say a cross word about him or the program, until he is relieved of his duties, and even then won't say much if anything.

Reactions: Saboteur
I hope she's sitting in the stands on Saturday against SU. When she sees 25,000 fans there in person, most sitting on their hands, and the student section has maybe 500 in it, maybe her eyes will be open.

But realistically, she's not going to fire Narduzzi after this season, even if he goes winless the rest of the year, which is a possibility. I think he gets at least another year. And we can hope it's not beyond repair at that point.

Yeah, I'm starting to thing things are leaning toward the latter at least right now.

She will never say a cross word about him or the program, until he is relieved of his duties, and even then won't say much if anything.
Narduzzi will never be relieved of his duties by Lyke.
Heather is smarter than that!

It'll go like this.

We have friends who live in Jimbo Fishers neighborhood.

This is a different situation but the neighbors knew he Jimbo was gone when his Christmas Tree was on the curb prior to Christmas.

Narduzzi's Christmas Tree will be on the curb around one of these years in mid December.

Kiss of death!

I agree. This is absolutely damage control. She will probably step in and mandate changes.

Lyke has shown herself to be very deliberating and intelligent. She’s probably taking notes (more effective than Narduzzi’s) each week and formulating a plan to enact in December.

I hope she's sitting in the stands on Saturday against SU. When she sees 25,000 fans there in person, most sitting on their hands, and the student section has maybe 500 in it, maybe her eyes will be open.

But realistically, she's not going to fire Narduzzi after this season, even if he goes winless the rest of the year, which is a possibility. I think he gets at least another year. And we can hope it's not beyond repair at that point.

We could be on a course to an 8 win season and she'd see that many fans.

There were between 30-35k for the Duke game in 2016 after we beat PS and were fresh off beating Clemson. Even when we have huge victories, the needle barely moves.

We pooped the bed in spectacular fashion against UNC that year and Narduzzi looked like a raving lunatic vs VT both on national television. He then followed up the Clemson victory with 76-61 and the Canada rumors began swirling days after. So even when Pitt looked like that they had changed they hadn’t.

I still contend that a victory in the Pinstripe Bowl would have made all the difference in the world. It probably would have meant at least a better OC.

Reactions: Nashville Panther
We pooped the bed in spectacular fashion against UNC that year and Narduzzi looked like a raving lunatic vs VT both on national television. He then followed up the Clemson victory with 76-61 and the Canada rumors began swirling days after. So even when Pitt looked like that they had changed they hadn’t.

I still contend that a victory in the Pinstripe Bowl would have made all the difference in the world. It probably would have meant at least a better OC.
You know the old phrase....excuses are like buttholes. Everyone’s got one.

The pathetic crowd after the Clemson win was the ultimate pin in the balloon. The players and coaches were riding high, and expecting fans to show up. It was a huge bucket of cold water.

Last edited:
If she starts talking about how Narduzzi's car is the last in the parking lot, then he is in trouble.

Dude, I was in the stands with 5 family members from out of town for that Duke game. There wasn't anywhere near 35K for that game. There was barely 25K, if lucky.

Reality will go a long way in solving the problems here.

But I know, I'm a Nitter. Am I allowed to capitalize that?
Okay bud.....According to your calculations you thought there were 40k Ped State fans at the 2016 game as well.

I hope so. But in the case of our basketball program, it was probably very easy for someone to pull up a video from the 2000s of a game at the Pete and show Heather that it was one of the best atmospheres in the country. Very easy to to convince her stallings was the problem and a new coach gets more people in the seats almost instantly.

Football is much different. Yeah you can argue the 09 season under wanny we had some highly attended games, fitz’s sophomore year under Walt we had very good attendance. But for the most part heinz has been empty for Pitt games. That is clearly a problem in heather’s eyes but I don’t think she’ll easily be persuaded that it is mainly the product narduzzi has put on the field that is driving people away.

In the midst of Pitt’s second consecutive 2-3 start to a season and fresh off a pair of losses, including a blowout loss to a non-Power Five school, Athletic Director Heather Lyke addressed the matter of the Panthers’ football program on Thursday.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/lyke-expresses-confidence-in-football-program
Ahhh yes....the public endorsement of the football coach by his boss. The first sure sign that Narduzzi’s seat is really heating up.

Reactions: PerchMan
There were between 30-35k for the Duke game in 2016 after we beat PS and were fresh off beating Clemson. Even when we have huge victories, the needle barely moves.
That's what happens when you make 100k former fans indifferent with 40 years of mediocrity and worse. You think a former season ticket holder who hasn't attended a game in a decade is going to come watch Duke because Pitt has done something positive for the first time in 10 years...you're dreaming.

Reactions: h2p_5150
You know the old phrase....excuses are like buttholes. Everyone’s got one.

The pathetic crowd after the Clemson win was the ultimate pin in the balloon. The players and coaches were riding high, and expecting fans to show up. It was a huge bucket of cold water.

I would like people to show up too but until Pitt wins consistently it’s not going to happen. Too many hearts have been broken for too long.

I was there and I had a blast. In fact I told my friend it was fun to watch Pitt again. I would imagine a lot of people felt the same. Then the bowl happened.

Fast forward to this year and you have 51-6. It’s a vicious cycle and we keep coming back.

That's what happens when you make 100k former fans indifferent with 40 years of mediocrity and worse. You think a former season ticket holder who hasn't attended a game in a decade is going to come watch Duke because Pitt has done something positive for the first time in 10 years...you're dreaming.
LOL - That was a good one. 100k fans. You must have the good stuff tonight.

Reactions: ThePanthers
What you are seeing is she thinks Pat is a good cultural fit and a team player. Obviously she thought Stallings was self centered prick and kicked him to curb quickly.

like a 180 publicly vs Stallings ....

How short everyone's memory is. They had just dropped 2-straight - the last one getting routed in Miami. He/they had LOST the fan base by this point w/ their mediocre 5-4 record. Finished strong, but again, blew the bowl game where they actually had a decent number of Pitt fans attend and alienated those fair-weather fans for the second time that year.

What you are seeing is she thinks Pat is a good cultural fit and a team player. Obviously she thought Stallings was self centered prick and kicked him to curb quickly.
What seems to be lost in this thread is the fact that if it’s even necessary for an AD to give a coach a public vote of confidence, things are bad and that coach’s job security and future at the school is at issue.

Last edited:

You know, if the players were expecting a big crowd that day that's one thing. They are 18-22 year olds who, for the most part, have no real idea about the way things are. On the other hand, if the coaches thought that simply because of that Clemson win that 10,000 or 20,000 or more extra fans were going to show up the following week for an essentially meaningless game against a basically mediocre team then those coaches are dumber than a box of rocks. One win in the midst of chronic mediocrity simply does not move the needle like that. Not here, not anywhere. The adults should have been smart enough to understand that.

You know, if the players were expecting a big crowd that day that's one thing. They are 18-22 year olds who, for the most part, have no real idea about the way things are. On the other hand, if the coaches thought that simply because of that Clemson win that 10,000 or 20,000 or more extra fans were going to show up the following week for an essentially meaningless game against a basically mediocre team then those coaches are dumber than a box of rocks. One win in the midst of chronic mediocrity simply does not move the needle like that. Not here, not anywhere. The adults should have been smart enough to understand that.

Maybe 10k extra wouldn't show up but to have 10k fewer than normal is pretty bad.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
How short everyone's memory is. They had just dropped 2-straight - the last one getting routed in Miami. He/they had LOST the fan base by this point w/ their mediocre 5-4 record. Finished strong, but again, blew the bowl game where they actually had a decent number of Pitt fans attend and alienated those fair-weather fans for the second time that year.
If this is the case then our fanbase is pretty soft.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Reduce the size of Heinz by tarping it. Rather than spend 300 mil on a new stadium, put an extra 3 mil towards better coaches.

Where are these better coaches working now? Division 2? Division 3? High School? Pitt needs better players. Of course so does about 100 other major college football teams.

It will take years of winning to build the fan base back up. Not just an occasional winning season.

Reactions: Saboteur
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT