ADVERTISEMENT

Article Lyke expresses confidence in football program

If this is the case then our fanbase is pretty soft.

The core fan base is pretty small, comparatively. I mean by that the people that donate to the Panther Club, buy season tickets, tailgate, and make an effort to get to as many games as they can when they don't otherwise have scheduling conflicts with other aspects of life. It's enough to mostly fill the lower bowl of Heinz, which is better than a lot of schools, but worse than most of the Power 5. It's always been that way. Part of it is the smaller alumni base. Part of it is the years of mediocrity dotted with down right awful football. A big part of it is the pro sports mentality of the region, and that extends to alumni whose sports mindshare is also dominated by their local pro teams. And for Pittsburgh, you compound that by having some of the most iconic pro clubs in US sports history. Most people are just Steeler, Pirates, and Penguin fans first, and these teams, especially the Steelers whose season overlaps with Pitt's, are the undisputed flag-bearers for Western Pennsylvania.

Pitt is definitely part of the local sports scene. It's not like Pitt is an afterthought like the Riverhounds currently are (no offense), and Pitt is absolutely the top of the college heap in Pittsburgh metro, but to generate enough interest where people that aren't plugged into the Pitt game day/tailgating culture or other aspects of the university to actively make the effort to buy a ticket and show up (like a couple select years in the past), Pitt games have to have the sense of importance or spectacle. There's nothing you can do about that other than win more. But the overlap with the general Pittsburgh sports fan will cause a lot of TVs to be tuned in, which has a much lower threshold for a general Pittsburgh sports fan to overcome, as long as Pitt isn't terrible (which admittedly is where we may be heading right now).

Last edited:
Reactions: freddietee511
There's a difference between Lyke issuing an unprompted statement about Narduzzi and her answering a question by a reporter.

What seems to be lost in this thread is the fact that if it’s even necessary for an AD to give a coach a public vote of confidence, things are bad and that coach’s job security and future at the school is at issue.

Maybe 10k extra wouldn't show up but to have 10k fewer than normal is pretty bad.

Well then it's a good thing that didn't happen!

It's going to take years to turn the fanbase around. Years. Any one mad or surprised that it didn't literally happen overnight is being silly.

The core fan base is pretty small, comparatively. I mean by that the people that donate to the Panther Club, buy season tickets, tailgate, and make an effort to get to as many games as they can when they don't otherwise have scheduling conflicts with other aspects of life. It's enough to mostly fill the lower bowl of Heinz, which is better than a lot of schools, but worse than most of the Power 5. It's always been that way. Part of it is the smaller alumni base. Part of it is the years of mediocrity dotted with down right awful football. A big part of it is the pro sports mentality of the region, and that extends to alumni whose sports mindshare is also dominated by their local pro teams. And for Pittsburgh, you compound that by having some of the most iconic pro clubs in US sports history. Most people are just Steeler, Pirates, and Penguin fans first, and these teams, especially the Steelers whose season overlaps with Pitt's, are the undisputed flag-bearers for Western Pennsylvania.

Pitt is definitely part of the local sports scene. It's not like Pitt is an afterthought like the Riverhounds currently are (no offense), and Pitt is absolutely the top of the college heap in Pittsburgh metro, but to generate enough interest where people that aren't plugged into the Pitt game day/tailgating culture or other aspects of the university to actively make the effort to buy a ticket and show up (like a couple select years in the past), Pitt games have to have the sense of importance or spectacle. There's nothing you can do about that other than win more. But the overlap with the general Pittsburgh sports fan will cause a lot of TVs to be tuned in, which has a much lower threshold for a general Pittsburgh sports fan to overcome, as long as Pitt isn't terrible (which admittedly is where we may be heading right now).

Nordy and Pedey helped lower the numbers, that's for sure!

Reactions: paulbl99
But,but,but I thought Pitt had like 1,709,000 TV sets tuned into their games every Saturday.Thats why all the conferences wanted them because of everyone in the Tri State ares was a Pitt fan.TV sets is what its all about at least thats what you say.No conference wanted Wvu because they have no fan support so they were deported to the lowly Big12 because of no fan base.Paco you better get those fans out of the closet and into Heinz Field before the Acc starts to wonder where your great fanbase is.

We are losing generations as we go. Most Pitt fans that saw any success are closer to retirement age than college student age. Add to the fact Pitt is a marketing nightmare and you get less and less

But,but,but I thought Pitt had like 1,709,000 TV sets tuned into their games every Saturday.Thats why all the conferences wanted them because of everyone in the Tri State ares was a Pitt fan.TV sets is what its all about at least thats what you say.No conference wanted Wvu because they have no fan support so they were deported to the lowly Big12 because of no fan base.Paco you better get those fans out of the closet and into Heinz Field before the Acc starts to wonder where your great fanbase is.
What is your obsession with this board? Why don’t you hang out with your own kind on the Hoopie board?

Reactions: PittDuke
WVU has two glaring problems 1.It's in a tiny market 2. It really is a glorified community college.

The 1st point is 95% of the problem when it came to getting into a better situation. Fortunately, the B12 needed to add someone to remain viable and WVU was basically out of better options.

Personally, I wanted WVU to come along with Pitt and Syracuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: freddietee511
We are losing generations as we go. Most Pitt fans that saw any success are closer to retirement age than college student age. Add to the fact Pitt is a marketing nightmare and you get less and less

You made a good point!
Here's another even "gooder" point!

Fans in the 30 - 50 range not attending games today is a problem.

The problem compounds because their families /kids a generation of potential PITT fans aren't at the games either. Most will never become interested in PITT football or become regular season ticket holder fans.

How did most of the people on this board become a PITT fan. Either they or a family member attended PITT or their parents would bring them to PITT games.

That's how "fandom" starts!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
You made a good point!
Here's another even "gooder" point!

Fans in the 30 - 50 range not attending games today is a problem.

The problem compounds because their families /kids a generation of potential PITT fans aren't at the games either. Most will never become interested in PITT football or become regular season ticket holder fans.

How did most of the people on this board become a PITT fan. Either they or a family member attended PITT or their parents would bring them to PITT games.

That's how "fandom" starts!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Mine began as a 13 yr old who lived near Youngstown oh so I was an Ohio State fan. Then I saw Pitt play with Rick Trocano and a D that got after people and it was a more exciting kind of football than Woody Hayes was delivering. Soon, I was awed by Hugh Green, still my fav. I'd have to say like most kids of that era, I was more a Steelers and Pirates fan than college fan, but that was normal. I never actually saw a Pitt game live until I became a Pitt student. We pretty much underachieved in my time there, but I still got hooked.

"you know, we all have expectations that we want to win and be as competitive as possible, even when you don’t win."

Heather, please define "as competitive as possible". If you are telling us we expect to be a contender in the Coastal year in and year out, fine.

If you are suggesting however, that competitive as possible means 6-6 and crap bowl games, then I'm going golfing.
Its what weve done for 30 years what do you expect

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT