ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Ellison announces he's staying

Great to hear! Glad Capel got him to stay. I think he'll help the next two years as we rebuild to where we'd like to be.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I'm more interested in the official visit this Friday by Sacha Killyea-Jones. That would move the needle.

I agree with you. He was a 5-star McDonald's AA when he went to Kentucky. Yes he didn't get much PT at KY but he is very young for his class and we need big men badly. I would be happy for Capel to land this 6-10 kid. I have to believe that the worst case is that he will be the equal of Terrell Brown. More likely he will be better.

The only down side, I presume, is that he will need to sit a year.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Ellison was perhaps waiting on if he would be able to transfer to Villanova without sitting out another year. Pitt is getting a good player. Good news.

Good move. Didn't make sense for him to sit another year. He's not going to lift us to the NCAAs, but he might be the difference between going 11-20 3-16, and going 16-15 6-12. Gives us a chance to put a decent starting lineup on the floor. Never hurts to be able to show recruits a nice increase in wins, as opposed to posting a record not much better than last year.

Good move. Didn't make sense for him to sit another year. He's not going to lift us to the NCAAs, but he might be the difference between going 11-20 3-16, and going 16-15 6-12. Gives us a chance to put a decent starting lineup on the floor. Never hurts to be able to show recruits a nice increase in wins, as opposed to posting a record not much better than last year.

This is great news. Most importantly he has two years of actual experience. Our
backcourt now has one player with real floor time. Given that we have three other
guards with no experience, and Davis with only one year..... Ellison brings much
needed experience and probably leadership abilities to the guard group. Also, someone won't be forced into actual playing minutes if they're not ready.
It also allows Frame to remain as a three (which I feel is his best position) as
opposed to taking a guard spot.
Ok, time for Capel to get maybe two Bigs and another three.

Reactions: FireballZ
If Capel is offering a scholarship, knowing that he has to sit out a year,
then I would assume he really likes him and wants him here. This isn't
a one year fill job to get us by. The one year fill job is what we need
now for 2019 because we are VERY weak on the inside..... Weak in
talent, weak in experience, and weak in bodies. This guy was a five
star recruit who had to substitute at Kentucky....this is fine with me.

Reactions: FireballZ
More likely we are looking at one big with 4 perimeter players on the court next year. Brown and Peace are just fine in that role unless Capel can pull in another 2018 recruit like DJ Burns.

This is great news. Most importantly he has two years of actual experience. Our
backcourt now has one player with real floor time. Given that we have three other
guards with no experience, and Davis with only one year..... Ellison brings much
needed experience and probably leadership abilities to the guard group. Also, someone won't be forced into actual playing minutes if they're not ready.
It also allows Frame to remain as a three (which I feel is his best position) as
opposed to taking a guard spot.
Ok, time for Capel to get maybe two Bigs and another three.

More likely we are looking at one big with 4 perimeter players on the court next year. Brown and Peace are just fine in that role unless Capel can pull in another 2018 recruit like DJ Burns.

I feel we need a BIG or two for this coming year. IMO Browne and Peace are
anything but "fine" in any role that has to do with inside play. Browne will
undoubtedly continue to improve ( as he did last season), however he still
needs to get a lot better to become an ACC level Big. I'd like to see a Big or two
as grad transfers to come in and share time with Browne as he develops. IMO he's
nowhere ready to have starter type minutes. As far as Iggy, I see him as a Big
who can challenge in practice. If he were to redshirt, maybe in a year or two, he
might be able to see the floor. However, I expect him to be recruited over and probably transfer at some point.

I agree with most of that. I just don't see anyone better than the 2 bigs already here being added for next season unless Capel can pull in DJ Burns or someone like him.

Kene will be back too if they want to go small.

I feel we need a BIG or two for this coming year. IMO Browne and Peace are
anything but "fine" in any role that has to do with inside play. Browne will
undoubtedly continue to improve ( as he did last season), however he still
needs to get a lot better to become an ACC level Big. I'd like to see a Big or two
as grad transfers to come in and share time with Browne as he develops. IMO he's
nowhere ready to have starter type minutes. As far as Iggy, I see him as a Big
who can challenge in practice. If he were to redshirt, maybe in a year or two, he
might be able to see the floor. However, I expect him to be recruited over and probably transfer at some point.

Last edited:
This is good news. Hopefully he can be coached up to give us something up front.

Nice to have him back. Need some experience on the team and he helps from a Class distribution standpoint.

Kid from Kentucky visiting would be a really good add as well. Has lots of talent so hopefully they can land him and put it to good use here.

For who? Oh, I see he means for Ellison. I hope he's correct.

Just my opinion, but there's nobody presently on this team who can
or will have those stats in the upcoming season. Frame averaged
13 ppg last year, and that was while taking way more shots than
he would in a normal year. However, what I do expect is to see
more players in double figures than last year. I also expect to
see the scoring more evenly distributed.

Stewart saw him in practice last year so those are pretty crazy numbers but high praise no doubt.

I expect big things for Ellison and hoping he has been getting stronger and better. I'm hoping we are all pleasantly surprised and see a big leap from where he was at with SJU.

Glad to have him, but where was he going to go?

He was trying to get to Villanova (surprisingly) if the NCAA no sit transfer rule would kick in but that didn’t happen so he’s staying at Pitt.

Still a decent chance he might Grad Transfer after this year but we’ll take him for this year for sure while the young guys develop.

Au’Diese Toney and Greg Gantt will likely be added to the roster by the time he could be a grad transfer. Looking at the relative ease in which Capel can apparently pull in wing players- that's the least worrisome positions.

He was trying to get to Villanova (surprisingly) if the NCAA no sit transfer rule would kick in but that didn’t happen so he’s staying at Pitt.

Still a decent chance he might Grad Transfer after this year but we’ll take him for this year for sure while the young guys develop.

Au’Diese Toney and Greg Gantt will likely be added to the roster by the time he could be a grad transfer. Looking at the relative ease in which Capel can apparently pull in wing players- that's the least worrisome positions.

Don’t disagree...why I said he’s needed this year but not much after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT