ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Ellison

Jeff_Hauser

Scholarship
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Well, it turns out that Capel did have a future NBA pro on his first 2 Pitt rosters - but not X or McGowens as most would have guessed - Malik Ellison just signed a 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks, albeit probably helped by players on COVID protocol. But say what you want, it's an NBA deal.

Yeah I watched our games so I know he didn't do much on the court here. But I can't help but wonder if Stallings actually did see something that Capel was just unable to see or unlock.

Well, it turns out that Capel did have a future NBA pro on his first 2 Pitt rosters - but not X or McGowens as most would have guessed - Malik Ellison just signed a 10-day contract with the Atlanta Hawks, albeit probably helped by players on COVID protocol. But say what you want, it's an NBA deal.

Yeah I watched our games so I know he didn't do much on the court here. But I can't help but wonder if Stallings actually did see something that Capel was just unable to see or unlock.

I actually always liked Malik Ellison. I thought he was an ACC level reserve/5th starter. I don't understand why Capel didn't play him at all.

I think Capel saw what most coaches saw. Ellison was an athletic 6'6" who had mediocre-at-best shooting skills. If he develops a shot, the coach gets a steal of a player.

With that stated, he had many games in which he battled and left it all out on the floor for Pitt. I have nothing bad to say about his efforts as a Panther.

Reactions: jctrack
With team rosters being decimated I wouldn’t be shocked if some guys end up on a 10 day just because they’re close enough and able to show up.
I'm astounded by this if
he's in the NBA. On the
other hand, if true, I'm
happy for him. He was
the player that supposedly
was tearing it up here in
practice, but showed
nothing in games. Very
good athlete, but not ACC
level. He transfers down
to Hartford and averages
18ppg. This year 10.5 ppg
in G league. Hey, good for
him. IMO, he's nowhere
near as talented and as
productive as Champagnie.

JWF by a mile .
He ended up being a way better player than Ellison, but not until the year after. I can absolutely believe that Ellison was better in practice day in and day out than the 2017-18 version of JWF.

He ended up being a way better player than Ellison, but not until the year after. I can absolutely believe that Ellison was better in practice day in and day out than the 2017-18 version of JWF.

You are completely misremembering that season.

Wilson-Frame: 115.4 Offensive Rating, 77% ones, 45% twos, 40% threes, and then the big one, 11.8 turnover rate
Ellison: 88.6 Offensive rating, 54% ones, 48% twos, 19% threes, and a whopping 23.6 turnover rate

Ellison's turnover rate ended up almost the same as Xavier Johnson's, even though Johnson handled the ball significantly more. He was a turnover machine. All the while shooting the ball relatively poorly.

I have no idea who was better in practice day in and day out, but in the actual games Wilson-Frame was better.

And not by just a little bit.

Then there’s hope for Jeffress ?

Ellison never showed it on the court .

All I can remember is his shot was so bad he couldn't make anything beyond 8 ft. He didn't have much of a handle either. This is pretty much a shocking development for me. The closest to the NBA I ever thought he would get would be to serve as some teams' waterboy.

Reactions: TWPitt
You are completely misremembering that season.

Wilson-Frame: 115.4 Offensive Rating, 77% ones, 45% twos, 40% threes, and then the big one, 11.8 turnover rate
Ellison: 88.6 Offensive rating, 54% ones, 48% twos, 19% threes, and a whopping 23.6 turnover rate

Ellison's turnover rate ended up almost the same as Xavier Johnson's, even though Johnson handled the ball significantly more. He was a turnover machine. All the while shooting the ball relatively poorly.

I have no idea who was better in practice day in and day out, but in the actual games Wilson-Frame was better.

And not by just a little bit.
You misunderstood my post. I’m talking about 2017-18 JWF - you’re citing the stats for JWF’s 2018-19 season. Which, as you said, was really, really good. But it was also a titanic improvement from the year before.

While Ellison obviously didn’t play in games during 2017-18, he still practiced with the team. And given what we saw in games from JWF in 2017-18, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ellison looked like the better player in practice.

Reactions: FireballZ
I'm astounded by this if
he's in the NBA. On the
other hand, if true, I'm
happy for him. He was
the player that supposedly
was tearing it up here in
practice, but showed
nothing in games. Very
good athlete, but not ACC
level. He transfers down
to Hartford and averages
18ppg. This year 10.5 ppg
in G league. Hey, good for
him. IMO, he's nowhere
near as talented and as
productive as Champagnie.

I mean, 10 PPG game in the G-league doesn't usually get you a call up but these aren't normal times. I suspect that with current Hawks players in protocols and probably current G league Hawks players in the same situation, it was simply a matter of Ellison being the best available player in their program that was able to test negative. For reference, JWF is averaging 10.8 currently in the G-league and Sheldon Jeter averaged 8 in 18-19.

You misunderstood my post.

You are correct, I did misunderstand your post. Because if that's what you meant then it makes no sense.

I mean seriously, who cares if the guy who wasn't allowed to play was better or worse in practice in some particular year than a guy who actually did play? What matters is what they actually do when they are actually on the court, and as far as that goes we have a whole season's worth games to tell who was actually the better player at Pitt.

You are correct, I did misunderstand your post. Because if that's what you meant then it makes no sense.

I mean seriously, who cares if the guy who wasn't allowed to play was better or worse in practice in some particular year than a guy who actually did play? What matters is what they actually do when they are actually on the court, and as far as that goes we have a whole season's worth games to tell who was actually the better player at Pitt.
Let’s not forget the praise heaped upon Horton from JC during the yr he sat out !

If only these guys lived up to their advanced billing !

Moral of the story ….don’t believe it until you see it .

Let’s not forget the praise heaped upon Horton from JC during the yr he sat out !

If only these guys lived up to their advanced billing !

Moral of the story ….don’t believe it until you see it .
Exactly. That's why I try
not to make pre season
predictions on here about
players/team until I see
them in REAL game time
on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT