ADVERTISEMENT

Mandel and the athletic predict a last place finish for pitt.

For those predicting 7-8 wins, you may want to read today's 3-2-1 column and re-calibrate.

Reading between the lines in the column, the O is currently an ineffectual mess and has all of 2 weeks to turn it around. The starting QB job is undecided. The D apparently looks pretty good but consider what they're going against in camp.

Pencil in wins at your own peril.
8-4

For those predicting 7-8 wins, you may want to read today's 3-2-1 column and re-calibrate.

Reading between the lines in the column, the O is currently an ineffectual mess and has all of 2 weeks to turn it around. The starting QB job is undecided. The D apparently looks pretty good but consider what they're going against in camp.

Who would even expect such a miserable sack to post something like this? JFC, you can't find ANYTHING better to do than troll free Pitt boards? Can't you and Cash go outside and hack, or find some porch to sit on and yell at children?

Reactions: NCPitt
There's enough talent to win 6 or 7 games vs. their competition. They aren't bereft of talent on offense. That's just folks sensationalizing the situation.

The biggest problem on offense is that it's completely new and a 180 degree turn from what it was. There will be growing pains.

They have a plus OL, decent backs, decent TE, and they'll find a couple WRs who can play out of all the guys they have to go along with KJ.

I think Nate is better than many think, and I think the QB battle is manufactured. Unless there were some promises made to Eli... which should never happen again after the last few years.

Reactions: FireballZ
I still cringe at the Western Michigan loss. Probably cost them a playoff spot
Alternative history is hard to do. If we didn't lose to Western Michigan, Narduzzi and Bates may not have been embarrassed into adjusting their coverage strategy against the RPO. That loss was in a weird way a catalyst for a better defense the rest of the year (along of course with the talents of Pickett and Addison.)

Alternative history is hard to do. If we didn't lose to Western Michigan, Narduzzi and Bates may not have been embarrassed into adjusting their coverage strategy against the RPO. That loss was in a weird way a catalyst for a better defense the rest of the year (along of course with the talents of Pickett and Addison.)

Very true, but I'd like to think a world exists where we could have won the game and still thought, "Oh shit, we just gave up 40-something to a MAC team!" Probably not, though, with Narduzzi.

Everybody seems to be worried about the offense this season and understandably so, but, I am worried about the defense stopping the run. We didn't do it very well last year and we will have new players on the D-line this year. I really don't see how anyone can project 7 or 8 wins if we don't have our usually reliable run stopping defense. I guess you could say you trust in Narduzzi to bring it back, but without coach Partridge, I think it takes a great leap of faith to believe we will have the D-line play that could lead to a 7 to 8 win season. That is why I think that even if the new offense takes a nice leap forward, the best I can see this year is a 6-6 season.

Reactions: FireballZ
Everybody seems to be worried about the offense this season and understandably so, but, I am worried about the defense stopping the run. We didn't do it very well last year and we will have new players on the D-line this year. I really don't see how anyone can project 7 or 8 wins if we don't have our usually reliable run stopping defense. I guess you could say you trust in Narduzzi to bring it back, but without coach Partridge, I think it takes a great leap of faith to believe we will have the D-line play that could lead to a 7 to 8 win season. That is why I think that even if the new offense takes a nice leap forward, the best I can see this year is a 6-6 season.

The run defense was pretty good.

#22 in negative play %

And when adjusting for the quality of the rushing opponents, 9th overall in the country in rushing defense (out of P4 teams).

(according to Pick 6’s analytics).

If they can maintain that with the new guys, you take that all day.

The problem is what if the new guys can’t maintain it?

The passing defense was bad.

110 in yards per pass.
94 in completion %
122 in explosive plays

Basically, whatever the other team wanted to do in the air, complete lots of short passes to move the chains, or go up top for huge plays, it did with insane success. Pitt was 46 in P4 teams when adjusting for quality of the passing offenses faced.

Will that probably improve some? Maybe. Probably. But even Peak has talked about the pass rush being one of the two main concerns right now on the team. So that isn’t going to help.

But what if the rush defense takes a normal step back? From near the very top to middle of the pack. Which I think would be a fair prediction. Then the passing defense needs to take a huge improvement to balance it out.

Excellent point. And well presented.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The run defense was pretty good.

#22 in negative play %

And when adjusting for the quality of the rushing opponents, 9th overall in the country in rushing defense (out of P4 teams).

(according to Pick 6’s analytics).

If they can maintain that with the new guys, you take that all day.

The problem is what if the new guys can’t maintain it?

The passing defense was bad.

110 in yards per pass.
94 in completion %
122 in explosive plays

Basically, whatever the other team wanted to do in the air, complete lots of short passes to move the chains, or go up top for huge plays, it did with insane success. Pitt was 46 in P4 teams when adjusting for quality of the passing offenses faced.

Will that probably improve some? Maybe. Probably. But even Peak has talked about the pass rush being one of the two main concerns right now on the team. So that isn’t going to help.

But what if the rush defense takes a normal step back? From near the very top to middle of the pack. Which I think would be a fair prediction. Then the passing defense needs to take a huge improvement to balance it out.
Those are interesting stats. I Guess that Syracuse tightend that payed QB and ran us over was an anomaly.

We are going to find out sooner than later.

Then we can all argue about some other topic we don't know anything about.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
Pitt should be 12-0 going into the ACC Championship game.

There’s not a team on the schedule Pitt shouldn’t beat.

If the kids play well, they'll win games. If they don't, they'll lose games. Now, put a lot of words together that sound insightful and make a prediction based loosely on what fans that throw a lot of money at the product want to hear and you got yourself a preseason article that nobody will remember or care to cite.

Based on the O winning this week's scrimmage, maybe your reading between the lines was a little reactionary toward the negative.

lol

I paid my fan dues to Pitt a long time ago.

Honest question: looking at this thread, you use “lol” a lot. Are you actually laughing out loud?

If not, and I apologize as this is my ignorance thinking everybody on a sports message board is male, but are you female?

I only ask because I don’t think I’ve ever interacted with men that type out “lol” unless something is actually funny, and then they say something like, “legit laughing at this” just to signal this isn’t one of those “girl” lol responses. So I’m thinking my assumption of you (and really everybody) being male is wrong?

Honest question: looking at this thread, you use “lol” a lot. Are you actually laughing out loud?

If not, and I apologize as this is my ignorance thinking everybody on a sports message board is male, but are you female?

I only ask because I don’t think I’ve ever interacted with men that type out “lol” unless something is actually funny, and then they say something like, “legit laughing at this” just to signal this isn’t one of those “girl” lol responses. So I’m thinking my assumption of you (and really everybody) being male is wrong?
I am. Because I am full of joy ... and 100% XY male.

Would you prefer "lmao"?

Most people use the 🤣emoji. I'm not an emoji guy. Do you think those who use emojis are also female?

You are really weird, btw.

Did the ACC Network do their road trip to Pitt yet? If not, does anybody know when it is?

Did the ACC Network do their road trip to Pitt yet? If not, does anybody know when it is?
Just watched it the other day. Not quite as enjoyable as last year's. Narduzzi was funny interacting with the ACCN crew. Kind of a lame visit to Primanti's with Jacoby and Terrence Moore. Player interviews weren't great this year. Best part of this year's was for the last 15 mins or so of the show, Dooz was piping crowd noise into the practice field to simulate an away crowd, while the ACCN crew was trying to broadcast over it. He could have easily waited until they wrapped up filming--that had to be intentional.

I thought the Pitt ACC show was kinda weak. But Pitt probably wanted it to w little vague intentionally.

Oline is big, curious how this 15 seconds a play thing works out.

This is your usual diatribe. Yawn. We will win 7-9

Reactions: NCPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT