ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Carr

Something went south in his game partway through the season. Maybe he isn't ACC caliber talent, but he definitely dropped off. Quite possible he was just overwhelmed.

It's tough to gauge where he will be in another year or two. Some kids get better. Some regress. Brad was quite overmatched as a freshman and is now possibly the best professional PG not playing in the NBA.

Maybe Marcus just didn't fit Stallings' system. I'm not sure he's a lead guard, nor athletic enough and has shooting skills enough to be a 2. He's a decent combo who could be a valued reserve at both guard spots for a team starting over in building a roster.

At worst, he's pretty good depth.

These are fair points....

I would counter he would improve dramatically with better talent and finishers around him.

Reactions: Harve74
Something went south in his game partway through the season. Maybe he isn't ACC caliber talent, but he definitely dropped off. Quite possible he was just overwhelmed.

It's tough to gauge where he will be in another year or two. Some kids get better. Some regress. Brad was quite overmatched as a freshman and is now possibly the best professional PG not playing in the NBA.

Maybe Marcus just didn't fit Stallings' system. I'm not sure he's a lead guard, nor athletic enough and has shooting skills enough to be a 2. He's a decent combo who could be a valued reserve at both guard spots for a team starting over in building a roster.

At worst, he's pretty good depth.

At the very least, I think he can be an asset on the second unit once there's more talent on the team. You rarely see pure point guards in that role and I think he has the right skill set for it. His consistency definitely dropped off as soon as ACC play started, but he showed me enough in some of those performances (UNC, second Syracuse, second Notre Dame) to believe in his upside. I think he's getting a bit underrated around these parts.

To further support your point, just look at Duke this year. Despite having an abundance of blue chip players, Capel saw their fatal flaw exposed...the lack of a point guard. Duke tried to compensate by moving Grayson Allen there because of his senior experience.

Duke couldn't play a lick of defense this year either.

At the very least, I think he can be an asset on the second unit once there's more talent on the team. You rarely see pure point guards in that role and I think he has the right skill set for it. His consistency definitely dropped off as soon as ACC play started, but he showed me enough in some of those performances (UNC, second Syracuse, second Notre Dame) to believe in his upside. I think he's getting a bit underrated around these parts.
Carr was a freshman playing 30 MPG in the ACC. He got himself in position for a good number of easy, makeable shots. He finishes those shots next season.

He may not be a true point , but his assist/turnover ratio was pretty good (particularly for a freshman playing 30 MPG in the ACC)

The kid is a keeper. I hope he stays.

His consistency definitely dropped off as soon as ACC play started

I tend to agree that he showed enough to aspire hope as a pretty good player. He showed power to create shots and ability to get to the hoop. I think the better athletes neutralized that part of his game but counting on strength to carry one as a freshman in the ACC was too much,he will get stronger.

He's the kind of guy that if you were running a seven (or seven and a half) man rotation would be really good as the third guard getting backup minutes at both the one and the two, who if you had some foul trouble you would be OK with him getting more minutes some nights when you needed it. If we can find a high level point guard a guy like Carr can still be a very valuable piece.

I think Carr’s problem or limitation is that he is what many describe him as, a combo guard. He can be serviceable as a PG, he’s just not quick enough to be an elite one. And I don’t think he’s a good enough outside shooter to be an elite level 2 either.

I agree with this. From what I've seen, he's not a point guard and doesn't have the style of game to ever be a good one. I'm not sure he's a good enough shooting to be a 2 guard either. He's probably best suited as the 3rd guard off the bench that can play either position on a good team.

However, this isn't a good team so he needs to play until they get better players. I hope he stays and gets better.

Edit: yeah, what Harve and Joe said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT