ADVERTISEMENT

Max Browne is done . Da Nooch may

I do not think Browne played a bad game, but Ben can make plays with his feet, he makes quick decisions, has swag to him, and will also be back next year. I agree - it is DiNucci Time.

Last edited:
If Duzz thought the younger guys could cut, he wouldn't have been recruiting transfers last year. The staff knows damn well what they have in DiNucci & MacVittie, and they have determined Browne is better, probably by a wider margin than most on here want to believe.

It's OK Mrs. Browne. Just because Max sucks at QB it isn't the end of the world.

Penn State fan here. Your back up was way better hen Browne. You've guys might have won the game if you put him in the first half, u gotta say that PITT played their hearts out and I believe the game should have been a lot closer. I got to give Pitt credit for s good game on defense and also that shovel pass. You guys kept our sucky linebackers guessing he whole game. PITT is s better team then we all expected and I hope you guys play your backup and sit brown the rest of the year, you guys will win some games.

Reactions: RHS14
we did much better against PSU that year than this year, and had a similar piss poor win in game 1 against Villanova....maybe it wont be 2-9, but damn is it going to be an awful year
the exact same effort probably gets them 6 or 7 wins. Hopefully when whitehead comes back its a improvement. Don't know how long the FB is out but he will help this offense later as well. Basically this week and next are the two toughest games of the year. There will be some tough games but I feel better about their chances than I did a week ago to be honest. They had more yards than the number 4 team at their house. Thats something they can build off of.

Did u know who Sam Darnold was last year???????????? Of course not

Of course, he was a 4 star from San Clemente, anyone who follows recruiting knew about him. His credentials were way, way higher than DiNucci.

All I want to do is win, and Browne hasn't looked good. DiNucci hasn't either, he was horrible in the bowl game and didn't do anything special today either.

If Browne struggles against Ok St would certainly play DiNucci in 2nd half or against Georgia Tech, but if he sucks you then have to go to someone else quickly. Nothing I have seen shows me that DiNucci can have success throwing the ball (at all), if they start out 1-3 the season is probably going nowhere. At that point there is no sense going back to Browne so you might as well give Pickett or MacVittie a shot.

Browne is going to start next week. There is literally no doubt about that.

But the leash might be shorter for Browne now.

Yes, Browne will start. The staff is obligated by football code to let him play the first half next week until we're down 21-3. That's how this works.

What? He lead a drive that netted no points after the game was over and the opponent had lots of backups in the game. How can you not recognize how significant that is?!?!?!

I digress, he's clearly earned the position sir.

It's really tough to back Browne at this point, but I don't think there's anywhere else to go. DiNucci will not be able to move the ball through the air, I feel pretty confident in saying that. The fact that MacVittie hasn't even got a sniff tells me the coaches feel he's not nearly ready, and I'm sure they'd like to redshirt Pickett.

So that leaves us playing Browne all year and hoping to go to another crappy bowl game, or playing DiNucci and probably winning less games and giving valuable snaps to a guy who probably won't be your starter next year.

Not sure what the best course of action is here.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

It's really tough to back Browne at this point, but I don't think there's anywhere else to go. DiNucci will not be able to move the ball through the air, I feel pretty confident in saying that. The fact that MacVittie hasn't even got a sniff tells me the coaches feel he's not nearly ready, and I'm sure they'd like to redshirt Pickett.

So that leaves us playing Browne all year and hoping to go to another crappy bowl game, or playing DiNucci and probably winning less games and giving valuable snaps to a guy who probably won't be your starter next year.

The best course of action is to wait until we're at least 0-1 in the ACC before "playing for next year".

So much for 5 stars.
Narduzzi better figure out how to recruit a couple solid quarterbacks soon before he winds up as the DC for some .500 MAC school.

Feel the same way and I think the staff does as well. I think one of the FR is most likely to start next year anyhow and they feel like Browne gives them the best chance now.

The best course of action is to wait until we're at least 0-1 in the ACC before "playing for next year".

Obviously, probably 0-2 actually.

It really is an interesting point of discussion though, most agree that #1 has been ineffective and #2 doesn't look any better.

In my opinion you stick with Browne, neither of the 2 will be your starter next season and I think they win more games with him as starter.

agree. And as BF said there is still a chance Dinucci isn't the starter next year anyhow. So unless your playing Tmac or Picket you might not be helping yourself for next year either.

Most coaches are average at best

MaX has shown absolutely nothing
An average college football coach is about 1000 times more qualified than any of us are to determine which of his own players give his team the best chance to win football games.

I'm not suggesting Browne is great or even good, but I think it's pretty obvious by virtue of the fact that he's starting that he's the best option we have.

Of course, he was a 4 star from San Clemente, anyone who follows recruiting knew about him. His credentials were way, way higher than DiNucci.

All I want to do is win, and Browne hasn't looked good. DiNucci hasn't either, he was horrible in the bowl game and didn't do anything special today either.

If Browne struggles against Ok St would certainly play DiNucci in 2nd half or against Georgia Tech, but if he sucks you then have to go to someone else quickly. Nothing I have seen shows me that DiNucci can have success throwing the ball (at all), if they start out 1-3 the season is probably going nowhere. At that point there is no sense going back to Browne so you might as well give Pickett or MacVittie a shot.

Oh please. Every QB at USC is at least a 4 star clown

Oh please. Every QB at USC is at least a 4 star clown

Right, and therefore a lot easier to pull the trigger and plug them in rather than a DiNucci.

Darnald did not come out of nowhere, everyone on the west coast knew who he was.

An average college football coach is about 1000 times more qualified than any of us are to determine which of his own players give his team the best chance to win football games.

I'm not suggesting Browne is great or even good, but I think it's pretty obvious by virtue of the fact that he's starting that he's the best option we have.

Or the coaches have a bias.
Sorry, I reject the logic that by virtue of a coach decision it's the right one.

See, burying ollison on the depth chart and sticking with hall last year.

Agreed.

My impressions are that Browne is slow to decide, lacks mobility, does not have the touch to be a dink and dump quarterback and he definitely stares down his receivers.

Dinucci has mobility, but he is also slow to decide and appears to have a tendency to poor decision making. Dinucci might be able to run a West Coast offense if we were that kind of team, but we are not.

Fortunately, it appears we can still run the ball, even against good teams. I would stay with Browne, run the ball on a near 3 to 1 ratio. Maybe 18-25 passes a game. Try to stay out of 3rd and anything. Pass on 1st down or 2nd and 2 and when you do throw, throw deep. Make it count.

Should we lose 7 games, I would immediately play MacVitte and/or Pickett. We need someone to have experience next season.

If they want to do anything off the read option, Dinucci is the guy. I'm not sure how anyone can write him off when he hasn't been given the opportunity to start a game. That includes practicing as the #1 guy.

Pickett is probably the best prospect of the bunch, but he's not going to play this year. Might as well play Nooch and see if he gets better through the season. If not, then better get Pickett ready to play starting next spring.

Or the coaches have a bias.
Sorry, I reject the logic that by virtue of a coach decision it's the right one.

See, burying ollison on the depth chart and sticking with hall last year.

I learned a long time ago, from observations inside of a high profile athletic program, that coaches have a lot more information and knowledge about their teams than fans and media. Fans and media don't see what goes on everyday in and out of practices. They're not privy to, nor devoting countless hours to, understanding what was supposed to happen and all the reasons something didn't happen, and all the other intangibles of individual personnel or team dynamics. That doesn't mean their decisions will always work, or as humans that they aren't biased, or that they are even good enough at their job...although to get to that point in their career where they are in a high profile position they almost certainly more knowledgeable about their craft than 99%of the people in the stands. What it means though is that perfectly logical decisions often don't make sense to those outside the program. It certainly means most fans watching games a couple hours a week don't have the nearly the information that they think they do. But that's what they get paid for, to live with the consequences of making decisions that may not be popular to those outside the program and that the majority of people may not understand. In the end though, they certainly know if they don't win a lot, their career is in jeopardy, so its not like such decisions are made flippantly. For that reason, I personally try, but admittedly don't always succeed in restraining myself, to defer to a coach to run his program the way and with who he sees fit and judge by the end results, which ultimately is the bottom line, because no one feels the consequences of their decisions more they do. It is their ship to sink or sail.

This is also why athletic directors (like Pederson), big boosters (and some know who), and university administrators (like Wesley Posvar) should stay the hell out of meddling in their coaches' programs.

Last edited:
I learned a long time ago, from observations inside of a high profile athletic program, that coaches have a lot more information and knowledge about their teams than fans and media. Fans and media don't see what goes on everyday in and out of practices. They're not privy to, nor devoting countless hours to, understanding what was supposed to happen and all the reasons something didn't happen, and all the other intangibles of individual personnel or team dynamics. That doesn't mean their decisions will always work, or as humans that they aren't biased, or that they are even good enough at their job...although to get to that point in their career where they are in a high profile position they almost certainly more knowledgeable about their craft than 99%of the people in the stands. What it means though is that perfectly logical decisions often don't make sense to those outside the program. It certainly means most fans watching games a couple hours a week don't have the nearly the information that they think they do. But that's what they get paid for, to live with the consequences of making decisions that may not be popular to those outside the program and that the majority of people may not understand. In the end though, they certainly know if they don't win a lot, their career is in jeopardy, so its not like such decisions are made flippantly. For that reason, I personally try, but admittedly don't always succeed in restraining myself, to defer to a coach to run his program the way and with who he sees fit and judge by the end results, which ultimately is the bottom line, because no one feels the consequences of their decisions more they do. It is their ship to sink or sail.

This is also why athletic directors (like Pederson), big boosters (and some know who), and university administrators (like Wesley Posvar) should stay the hell out of meddling in their coaches' programs.
Nobody is suggesting outside influence should occur to direct personnel decisions.

I'm saying in 2 games , Browne is bad.

He handcuffs the offense .

Nobody is suggesting outside influence should occur to direct personnel decisions.

Yeah, I get that he hasn't looked good, but people shouldn't freak out if Narduzzi continues to go with him because there may be reasons to stay with him that we aren't privy to. Suggesting it is bias is not necessarily fair.

Obviously, probably 0-2 actually.

It really is an interesting point of discussion though, most agree that #1 has been ineffective and #2 doesn't look any better.

In my opinion you stick with Browne, neither of the 2 will be your starter next season and I think they win more games with him as starter.
How are you so sure that DiNucci will not be the starting QB next year? He is clearly ahead of MacVittie, so that would leave Pickett who is only a True Fr. right now.

You're full of it.

Handcuffs and a cell would be perfect for the Squirrel Hill Raincloud.
Hoping for a nice gust of wind to blow you over to Ohio to bother that coach whats his name oh yes the Urban legend!

He's had two.

He's trash.
It's time to change
Souf, you are usually not this emotional, surprised by this. I think you give him one more game and see if we can get some life of a passing game. We see another display like yesterday, you make the change.

Coaches (and fans) tend too get enamored with QB arms and size. College football is littered with good QBs who aren't anywhere near the "prototype" QB.

He was the 6'5" big arm former 5* they brought and told it was his job to lose. He also is a guy with more experience they thought might play in the tough early games. I think the fact that he didn't bring Browne back in tells you they aren't completely sold. He had a cut on his head, not a concussion. It was a chance to look at Nooch without creating a QB controversy.

He gets the start against OSU, but if he plays the same you have to make a change.

Souf, you are usually not this emotional, surprised by this. I think you give him one more game and see if we can get some life of a passing game. We see another display like yesterday, you make the change.
Nothing emotional about it.
The opposite.

He telegraphs his receiver.
He's not accurate .
He's not poised .

He sails passes.
He's immobile .

Struggling at psu is fine .
He showed all the same flaws against ysu at home, though. I don't buy nerves .

He's not a gamer.

I'm sure he's fine at 7 on 7 drills in practice

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT