ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s’ Soccer Recruiting?

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
I have seen a couple of posts on the AD website about the incoming women’s’ class — and it is a large one (as I wrote in an earlier post).

I didn’t see any releases about incoming men’s’ soccer recruits. Is that because the class will be primarily international and commitments come later in the year? Or have they just not publicly released the names?

I assume it will be a fairly large class because we lose a lot: GK, two defenders, one midfielder and one forward. All starters.
Vidovich seems to hit the transfer market as well as the international market including Europeans playing for American prep schools.

If anyone knows any names or pedigrees, I’m sure I’m not the only one who would be interested in learning.

I have seen a couple of posts on the AD website about the incoming women’s’ class — and it is a large one (as I wrote in an earlier post).

I didn’t see any releases about incoming men’s’ soccer recruits. Is that because the class will be primarily international and commitments come later in the year? Or have they just not publicly released the names?

I assume it will be a fairly large class because we lose a lot: GK, two defenders, one midfielder and one forward. All starters.
Vidovich seems to hit the transfer market as well as the international market including Europeans playing for American prep schools.

If anyone knows any names or pedigrees, I’m sure I’m not the only one who would be interested in learning.
We signed a kid from Deer Lakes. Don't know anything about him. Its interesting that the local kids that we ARE signing are from non-soccer areas (Greensburg and Connellsville).

Vidovich doesn't really seem to be recruiting American kids at this point. He started off recruiting Montverde and the MLS academies pretty hard but hasn't done that the last few years.

I suspect they'll go over to Europe very shortly and get some players who are about to be told they are not going to be good enough to progress with the 1st Team like Valentin Noel.

Keep in mind that everyone gets an extra year due to Covid. Bryce Washington, despite being a senior did not enter the MLS Draft, perhaps a sign he plans on returning. Campuzzano, Loefflesand, and Dexter did but went undrafted. Considering the next draft isnt until January AFTER the 2021 College Soccer season (reverts back to a fall season), I wouldn't be surprised if they all came back.

Loefflesand helped his cause the most. 1st team AA. Was a wonderful right back....but he's only 5'5. I'm not sure an MLS team would "waste" an international roster spot on him. So if you're him, I think you come back and finish your MBA, which is pretty valuable, and then try to make MLS. Dexter, being an American (who grew up in Germany) may get a shot in MLS but I didn't think he had a great year.

You have to wonder if guys like Noel and Petkovic will go over to Europe to play in the lower divisions. The thing with that though is that they may not even be making what the true value of the Pitt tuition, free housing, free food, road trip per diems, and cost of attendance. So this isnt like Justin Champagnie who is going to make at least 435K on a 2-way deal. The MLS rookie minimum which Edward Kizza is making is 63K but I dont think MLS can sign anyone who didnt enter the last draft.

I have the feeling everyone will be back. The 2 I'd worry most about is Petkovic and Noel possibly being signed by 1st Division teams in the lower leagues (like in Serbia where Petkovic is from where he'd probably make 100K) or 2nd Division teams in the bigger countries where the money would make sense

Correction: Petkovic's (and Mirkovic's) MLS rights are owned by NYCFC having come up in their academy. I am not 100% familiar with the homegrown player rule but I believe they are never eligible for the MLS Draft unless their club team releases them. They also cant go to Europe unless their MLS club releases them (or sells them I think). So Petkovic will probably be at Pitt until NYCFC signs him to a first team contract or sells him to a Euro side.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT