ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Soccer reclaims #1!

Without a doubt the ACC is the best conference for both men’s and women’s soccer. And best of all, both Pitt men and women have pulled themselves out of the dungeon to be extremely competitive. Great hires make a difference.
I think this is a down year though for ACC soccer. It may not be the best league this year though I can't say I've watched anything else. Just comparing it to what I have seen in past years. They also arent going to get nearly as many ACC bids. Probably just 4. The NCAAT has been reduced from 48 to 36 plus the ACC not playing many OOC games has hurt RPI but still, the league doesn't seem as good.

BTW, how about the wackiness of RPI with these unbalanced schedules? WVU is 5-2 and plays in the MAC (decent soccer league, not as good as ACC) and is #1. Pitt is 12-2 and is #9. Quinnipiac is 4-1 and ranked #2. Crazy.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
There is no Spring Championship. Clemson are the 2020 ACC Champions. This game is just for the automatic berth, not an official championship.
Hey, look who is wrong again...SMF! 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇

PITTSBURGH – The No. 1 Pitt men's soccer team shutout Virginia, 5-0, Thursday evening at Ambrose Urbanic Field and claimed its first ever Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division championship.

NEWS & NOTES
  • The ACC Coastal crown is the first in program history for the Panthers. Pitt joined the ACC in 2013.
  • The victory improved the Panthers' overall record to 13-2 and 9-1 in the ACC. The 13 victories is one shy of the program record, set back in 1995 (14-6-1). The nine conference victories is a program best.

Hey, look who is wrong again...SMF! 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇 👇

PITTSBURGH – The No. 1 Pitt men's soccer team shutout Virginia, 5-0, Thursday evening at Ambrose Urbanic Field and claimed its first ever Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division championship.

NEWS & NOTES
  • The ACC Coastal crown is the first in program history for the Panthers. Pitt joined the ACC in 2013.
  • The victory improved the Panthers' overall record to 13-2 and 9-1 in the ACC. The 13 victories is one shy of the program record, set back in 1995 (14-6-1). The nine conference victories is a program best.
I know they won the Coastal Division. I was talking about an ACC Spring Championship as in for the entire league.

I know they won the Coastal Division. I was talking about an ACC Spring Championship as in for the entire league.
Wonder why the ACC isn’t declaring Spring season champion- but using the Spring season ‘champion’ as the automatic qualifier? In theory, your league champion doesn’t get the auto bid? That strikes me as odd.

Wonder why the ACC isn’t declaring Spring season champion- but using the Spring season ‘champion’ as the automatic qualifier? In theory, your league champion doesn’t get the auto bid? That strikes me as odd.
Yea I thought it was odd to. Josh Rowntree stated this on a broadcast a few games ago.

My guess:

- The NCAA passed some type of rule that the auto bid had to be awarded based on Spring results since this was really the NCAA soccer season. No one played in the fall besides the ACC and a few CUSA teams.

- The ACC already played its conference tournament and handed Clemson the trophy as ACC champs. The league probably made a decision to not declare a Spring champion partly because there's no ACCT in the Spring.

- So the league declared 2020 ACC Champions (Clemson), 2021 Coastal Champs (Pitt), and 2021 Atlantic Champs (Clemson).

For all intents and purposes though, Pitt/Clemson will be the ACCG even if they arent going to call it that. More importantly for Pitt though is to get that #1 overall seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT