ADVERTISEMENT

TBT organizers announce “The Soccer Tournament”

These would all have to be players that aren't even good enough for USL right? Anyone really decent would probably get on some pro team at some level right?

These would all have to be players that aren't even good enough for USL right? Anyone really decent would probably get on some pro team at some level right?
Well, I believe the TBT allows anyone not in the NBA so maybe they will allow anyone not in MLS. Personally, I'd like it to be for players who arent playing professionally. Maybe some old timers. Would love to see Landon Donovan and others get a team.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
My rules would be no current pro level players including MLS, USLC, USL1, or other global pro leagues. Only former pro players who have been out of a pro contract for at least a full year or longer.

Do I dare ask, female version of this? I mean Rapinoe will have a thing to say about this if no female version and same prize money.

Reactions: Pittnerski
Well, I believe the TBT allows anyone not in the NBA so maybe they will allow anyone not in MLS. Personally, I'd like it to be for players who arent playing professionally. Maybe some old timers. Would love to see Landon Donovan and others get a team.
They should just not allow central and South American C teamers. No one cares.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
I’ve actually really enjoyed watching professional beach soccer and futsal in the past. A lot of guys who can’t run like they used to but have tremendous skill. i hope the field dimensions are more conducive to skill than speed.

I’ve actually really enjoyed watching professional beach soccer and futsal in the past. A lot of guys who can’t run like they used to but have tremendous skill. i hope the field dimensions are more conducive to skill than speed.
It’s a 65x45 field. Which should be perfect. It’s what I used to do for practices. Leave a goal in the back of one end zone and then pull the other goal up to around the 50 yard line on a football field and then play out to the football sideline. It will still be a little congested I think because it can get that way for females (sorry SMF I don’t want to trigger you by mentioning females playing soccer).

My team:
CB: Pat Mcafee (sp?) - use him like an outside shooter to spread the D. Also, he should be great at set pieces - and will guarantee acceptance into the tourney.
FBs: ex D1 players with the best 10k times. Their job is to create numerical advantages.
MF, Forewards: Best, most skilled, retired players.

I really don't like the beach soccer, the ball sticks in the sand too much. I've been a fan of indoor soccer for years, Baltimore Blast was big here and has a 40 year history, it's 6 v 6, 5 field players and a GK. it's fun to watch average scores are like 8-7 or something like that, on a hockey rink with walls, I like it better than futsal, the walls keep it in play more of the time.

Even when you take away players?
Yes, but that only comes later if they need to remove players. But if you can play it tight spaces and have great ball handling you can be more successful in this concept. Watch futsal and see how skilled those guys are. It’s fast paced, exceptional ball handling, and ability to move ball quickly on a smaller sized court. I think this concept will offer a lot of entertainment for sure and if they promote it right and film it right it’ll be watched and become more televised and commercialized. I love full field soccer, but I also like to see small sided games.

My team:
CB: Pat Mcafee (sp?) - use him like an outside shooter to spread the D. Also, he should be great at set pieces - and will guarantee acceptance into the tourney.
FBs: ex D1 players with the best 10k times. Their job is to create numerical advantages.
MF, Forewards: Best, most skilled, retired players.
Wow, how fun would it be if a team of recently retired NFL/NBA players got a team? Don't tell me people wouldn't tune in to see some WRs, CB's, and shooting guards play soccer. That would be appointment TV.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Wow, how fun would it be if a team of recently retired NFL/NBA players got a team? Don't tell me people wouldn't tune in to see some WRs, CB's, and shooting guards play soccer. That would be appointment TV.
I suppose you think they could win? :) :) :)

Unless they maybe had some actual soccer experience they would get demolished.

Well TV networks think people tune in to studio shows to hear Steve Nash and Chad Johnson’s soccer punditry. And of course the NHL thought the same about Charles Barkley. You see a lot of these pro athletes wearing soccer jerseys and warming up with soccer balls. They love and appreciate the sport. I’d enjoy watching them play it.

Reactions: PeetWeet2
Well TV networks think people tune in to studio shows to hear Steve Nash and Chad Johnson’s soccer punditry. And of course the NHL thought the same about Charles Barkley. You see a lot of these pro athletes wearing soccer jerseys and warming up with soccer balls. They love and appreciate the sport. I’d enjoy watching them play it.
I mean this could actually be pretty huge. I dont mean to oversell it here, but it could be a generational type event. Can a team of elite American athletes beat soccer pros at their own game? We all know the answer but there would be plenty of Joe Blows who would think a team of NBA/NFL players would wax them. I would compare it to Mayweather vs McGregor. That is the only boxing PPV I ever bought. I knew McGregor had no chance but it was an event. I had to see its with my own eyes.

I could see ESPN doing a docuseries "Hard Knocks" type series around this team. Soccer tv shows are all the rage anyway.

We all know the answer but there would be plenty of Joe Blows who would think a team of NBA/NFL players would wax them.
Kind of like you believe that LeBron would definitely be Messi if he played soccer as a kid and that Messi would be a Hall of Fame Second Baseman if he had only played baseball, :)

Kind of like you believe that LeBron would definitely be Messi if he played soccer as a kid and that Messi would be a Hall of Fame Second Baseman if he had only played baseball, :)
I do think that Lebron would be Erling Haaland. Or maybe Romelu Lukaku at the very least.

I do think that Lebron would be Erling Haaland. Or maybe Romelu Lukaku at the very least.
It's possible, but it's also possible he'd suck at soccer, I don't buy the whole idea that he'd be a star at any sport. Maybe he'd make the NFL, maybe he'd be all pro, or maybe he'd be on the practice squad, lots of guys dominate just like him in high school, then go to a P5 school and can't het off the bench.

He is one of the greatest athletes who ever lived. If he was born and raised in the DR, I'm certain he could have been as good as Craig Biggio.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
He is one of the greatest athletes who ever lived. If he was born and raised in the DR, I'm certain he could have been as good as Craig Biggio.
I’m having an SMF moment and have a deep thought idea. The US should organize a pro 7v7 over 40 league, and bring all the greats over here and let them continue their careers. People watch the senior golf tour, so I think more people would watch world superstars like Wayne Rooney, Ronaldinho, or Didier Drogba play. And actually, they should partner with the clubs and have teams be comprised of all club legends. I could watch a Los Angeles Chelsea team with Ashley Cole, John Terry, Frank Lampard, etc play against Barcelona Miami. The Glazers can put their Man U team in Tampa, and the Fenway Sports Group can put a Liverpool team led by Steven Gerrard in Boston. The Yankee owners who own AC Milan can put a Milan team in Brooklyn. The 49ers ownership can put a Leeds team in San Jose…but they’ll be the league doormat. Same with AFC Bournemouth in Las Vegas. Not sure where Stan kronke would put his Arsenal team. Maybe in Arkansas beside the Walmart headquarters. Or he can put it in Denver alongside his NHL team. I don’t want him in LA alongside his Rams. That’s Todd Boehly’s Chelsea market.

Last edited:
I’m having an SMF moment and have a deep thought idea. The US should organize a pro 7v7 over 40 league, and bring all the greats over here and let them continue their careers. People watch the senior golf tour, so I think more people would watch world superstars like Wayne Rooney, Ronaldinho, or Didier Drogba play. And actually, they should partner with the clubs and have teams be comprised of all club legends. I could watch a Los Angeles Chelsea team with Ashley Cole, John Terry, Frank Lampard, etc play against Barcelona Miami. The Glazers can put their Man U team in Tampa, and the Fenway Sports Group can put a Liverpool team led by Steven Gerrard in Boston. The Yankee owners who own AC Milan can put a Milan team in Brooklyn. The 49ers ownership can put a Leeds team in San Jose…but they’ll be the league doormat. Same with AFC Bournemouth in Las Vegas. Not sure where Stan kronke would put his Arsenal team. Maybe in Arkansas beside the Walmart headquarters.
Not a bad idea but I cant believe there would be enough money in it to pay those guys enough to stay off the beach. A shorter tournament format would work though

Not a bad idea but I cant believe there would be enough money in it to pay those guys enough to stay off the beach. A shorter tournament format would work though
Ok yeah. That would be good too. Maybe a group play tourney and knock out rounds over the course of a month. Those guys have enough money. Most of the guys love playing so much that they don’t want it all to end. Coming to the USA before getting on with their life’s work would be enticing for most of them. If the league were subsidized by the Euro clubs or UEFA because they think it would be a good investment and grow the game in the US, it could work. But I don’t know if it would catch on and be a good investment for them. I only know that I would follow it religiously. But I’m not a typical American. TV ratings in Europe would be good though.

Not sure I want to watch some of these former greats tear an Achilles or knee. Anyone catch the great Brazilian Ronaldo play recently? He’s about 275 pounds.

Ok yeah. That would be good too. Maybe a group play tourney and knock out rounds over the course of a month. Those guys have enough money. Most of the guys love playing so much that they don’t want it all to end. Coming to the USA before getting on with their life’s work would be enticing for most of them. If the league were subsidized by the Euro clubs or UEFA because they think it would be a good investment and grow the game in the US, it could work. But I don’t know if it would catch on and be a good investment for them. I only know that I would follow it religiously. But I’m not a typical American. TV ratings in Europe would be good though.
They televise chase tag and spikeball so I am sure someone would buy the rights to a legends tournament. What about an Over 40 World Cup?

Another idea I had, unrelated is a "B" World Cup for the teams that dont make the World Cup. Like a Europa League. Played in the window right after the World Cup. The winner gets a bid to the next World Cup similar to the Europa League. Don't tell me people wouldn't watch some knockout round with Italy, Sweden, Nigeria, Mo Salah, Colombia, Chile, etc when no other soccer is on besides reserve squads playing friendlies in the US

I’m having an SMF moment and have a deep thought idea. The US should organize a pro 7v7 over 40 league, and bring all the greats over here and let them continue their careers. People watch the senior golf tour, so I think more people would watch world superstars like Wayne Rooney, Ronaldinho, or Didier Drogba play. And actually, they should partner with the clubs and have teams be comprised of all club legends. I could watch a Los Angeles Chelsea team with Ashley Cole, John Terry, Frank Lampard, etc play against Barcelona Miami. The Glazers can put their Man U team in Tampa, and the Fenway Sports Group can put a Liverpool team led by Steven Gerrard in Boston. The Yankee owners who own AC Milan can put a Milan team in Brooklyn. The 49ers ownership can put a Leeds team in San Jose…but they’ll be the league doormat. Same with AFC Bournemouth in Las Vegas. Not sure where Stan kronke would put his Arsenal team. Maybe in Arkansas beside the Walmart headquarters. Or he can put it in Denver alongside his NHL team. I don’t want him in LA alongside his Rams. That’s Todd Boehly’s Chelsea market.
Have you seen Wayne Rooney lately, on the sidelines coaching DC United, he looks more like 2022 Brendan Fraser than George of the Jungle :)

They televise chase tag and spikeball so I am sure someone would buy the rights to a legends tournament. What about an Over 40 World Cup?

Another idea I had, unrelated is a "B" World Cup for the teams that dont make the World Cup. Like a Europa League. Played in the window right after the World Cup. The winner gets a bid to the next World Cup similar to the Europa League. Don't tell me people wouldn't watch some knockout round with Italy, Sweden, Nigeria, Mo Salah, Colombia, Chile, etc when no other soccer is on besides reserve squads playing friendlies in the US
Greece might make that, in which case I'd watch that over the real WC :)

WC NIT :)

Greece might make that, in which case I'd watch that over the real WC :)

WC NIT :)
Yea, I proposed that in 2018 but FIFA didnt listen. USA, Italy, Netherlands, etc. A World Cup NIT wouldn't be needed as much as we go to 48 teams but man, people would still watch it, wouldn't they? And that's more money for FIFA and it allows the smaller countries to compete for a legit tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT