ADVERTISEMENT

Men's scoccer--Surprised

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
With all the optimism over the men's soccer team--was surprised they lost their exhibition game with Maryland per the U. Maryland website (Maryland 2, Pitt 1).

Is this team being over-hyped/over rated?

Overhyped? Not really - I think a final four team that returned all but one starter being ranked #3 in the national preseason poll and #1 in the conference isn't and shouldn't be too surprising at all.

It looks like Maryland took the lead on a late penalty kick, and they're a very solid program - more solid than you'd normally expect in exhibitions (which are usually against the Robert Morris type outfits). Don't think a 2-1 result in an exhibition is anything worth worrying too much about.

Reactions: ThePanthers
With all the optimism over the men's soccer team--was surprised they lost their exhibition game with Maryland per the U. Maryland website (Maryland 2, Pitt 1).

Is this team being over-hyped/over rated?
Generally in these exhibitions the coaches agree to play their starters for X minutes, their next group for X minutes and then the deep reserves for X minutes. I wouldn’t read anything into it. It’s basically the same as an NFL preseason game.

Maybe I was right to be concerned given the loss to West Virginia?
I would say there is reason to be concerned. Surely, the sky isnt falling or anything like that but Pitt is now circled on everyone's calendar, exhibition or not. Pitt did not come close to matching WVU's intensity, who was playing their National Championship. They have to understand that they are going to get everyone's A game now.

Do you suppose that they didn't know that before Monday?
I don't think they grasped it. It was really the first game they ever played in a packed, hostile environment. They walked into a hornets nest. Not terribly dissimilar from when the US go to Central America. Pitt didn't handle the environment well

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT