ADVERTISEMENT

Messi and MLS

They are the best team in the league with Messi. And I mean a lot of talking heads were saying he could go on loan to Barcelona in January. Maybe sooner now?
Yes. If healthy he’s probably going. But for how long?

Messi. And I mean a lot of talking heads were saying he could go on loan to Barcelona in January. Maybe sooner now?

He could go to Barcelona today if he wanted to.

He can't play for Barcelona until January. Assuming that Barca can find the money in their salary cap to pay him.

Messi came on as a second half sub in Argentina's win yesterday in qualifying.

He didn't score but did hit the post twice, one of them on a corner kick, which would have been his first career olimpico.

He didn't score but did hit the post twice, one of them on a corner kick, which would have been his first career olimpico.

It sucks he doesn't play another meaningful MLS game until late February. I heard he is a finalist for MLS MVP which is insane. He only played a couple MLS games and had 1 goal.

It sucks he doesn't play another meaningful MLS game until late February. I heard he is a finalist for MLS MVP which is insane. He only played a couple MLS games and had 1 goal.
Looks like MLS is going to take off during international breaks too next year. I don't know if this means they'll be off for all of the Copa America or not

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

are olimpico goals a big deal? I never got that. It’s easy to do with the most minimal of practice. I feel like anyone can whip those in but it’s more about what happens in front of the net than anything. I had a HS girl score one against my team a few years ago with less than 10 seconds in the match because the player on the far post left her assignment and left the post when the corner was taken. The ball hit halfway down the post she vacated and went in. Guess that’s my fault as a coach…but these players play for high level club teams 9 months out of the year. You think they would understand the basics by the time they reach HS. We dominated the match and lost that way. Might have been my most painful loss. Lol.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
are olimpico goals a big deal? I never got that. It’s easy to do with the most minimal of practice. I feel like anyone can whip those in but it’s more about what happens in front of the net than anything. I had a HS girl score one against my team a few years ago with less than 10 seconds in the match because the player on the far post left her assignment and left the post when the corner was taken. The ball hit halfway down the post she vacated and went in. Guess that’s my fault as a coach…but these players play for high level club teams 9 months out of the year. You think they would understand the basics by the time they reach HS. We dominated the match and lost that way. Might have been my most painful loss. Lol.

And the thing is, is anyone actually trying to do that? I mean maybe late in a blowout, just for fun. But in the run of play in a close game trying to do that is almost always a way to have your corner easily caught by the goalie and your chance goes to waste.

Almost every time that happens it's not because of a great play, it's because of a "mistake". Someone is trying to put the ball five or six yards out in front of the goal for their player to get a head onto and doesn't put the ball where they were aiming, but the goalie doesn't play it right or the defender misses on a chance to head the ball clear or like in your case someone steps out of position or some other similar error, and the ball just happens to go in.

And the thing is, is anyone actually trying to do that? I mean maybe late in a blowout, just for fun. But in the run of play in a close game trying to do that is almost always a way to have your corner easily caught by the goalie and your chance goes to waste.

Almost every time that happens it's not because of a great play, it's because of a "mistake". Someone is trying to put the ball five or six yards out in front of the goal for their player to get a head onto and doesn't put the ball where they were aiming, but the goalie doesn't play it right or the defender misses on a chance to head the ball clear or like in your case someone steps out of position or some other similar error, and the ball just happens to go in.
I'm assuming that if Messi and other high level players could score them easily they would, I dunno.

He tried one when his team was only up by one in a WC qualifier

For those huge Inter Miami fans upset about them missing the playoffs, they're going to play exhibition games in China instead.

He tried one when his team was only up by one in a WC qualifier

But that's the question. Did he actually try to do that, or was that the result of him not quite putting the ball where he was trying to put it and he got lucky? Because nearly every time that happens, it's the latter and not the former. For the most part, players DON'T try to do that, because it's such a low percentage play.

But that's the question. Did he actually try to do that, or was that the result of him not quite putting the ball where he was trying to put it and he got lucky? Because nearly every time that happens, it's the latter and not the former. For the most part, players DON'T try to do that, because it's such a low percentage play.
Maybe you're right. I guess I just assume when he does something it's intentional but that's obviously not always the case

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Messi says that he's not going on loan this winter and will instead have a longer than usual holiday trip to Argentina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT