ADVERTISEMENT

Messi and MLS

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Interesting info here about the growth of soccer in this country. This is with a horrible league carrying the torch in this country.

I know we used to hear soccer dorks say that soccer will take over this country, and while I think that’s untrue, both in theory and in reality (I don’t really think too many dorks were actually saying that but that’s the perception with the anti soccer crowd.). In any event the sport is healthy and it’s about to grow even more over the next 10 years.

It is time for the MLS to go to spend to become a "league of choice." If not, now, when? Copa America, Club World Cup, World Cup the next 3 years. They should go into major spending mode the summer of 2026 to become the 3rd best league in the world.

Interesting info here about the growth of soccer in this country. This is with a horrible league carrying the torch in this country.

I know we used to hear soccer dorks say that soccer will take over this country, and while I think that’s untrue, both in theory and in reality (I don’t really think too many dorks were actually saying that but that’s the perception with the anti soccer crowd.). In any event the sport is healthy and it’s about to grow even more over the next 10 years.

If you're going to watch Messi play in St Louis, don't even think about wearing a Grandoli jersey, the team he played for when he was 6.

if they have a salary cap that promotes competitive balance, I will be interested.

Well, Miami now has signed Jordi Alba. They are going to have to rename them the Barcelona Seniors.

Actually, Alba should help them. He always was good at feeding Messi from the left side. He still was decent offensively for Barca. Just can’t do it defensively any more.

Well, Miami now has signed Jordi Alba. They are going to have to rename them the Barcelona Seniors.

Actually, Alba should help them. He always was good at feeding Messi from the left side. He still was decent offensively for Barca. Just can’t do it defensively any more.
Also trying to sign Suarez but he's in a contract/health dispute with Gremio

Alba is going to have to adapt his game because the progressive passes he is used to making won’t be there because the MLS players won’t know how to make the runs.

• Haha
Reactions: zookeeper2000

I love it. This is what I've been saying the MLS should do (like they used to) instead of going after South American B and C teamers, who are good players but nobody cares about. I'd much rather watch Alba and Busquets then someone on the Ecuador B team even though the Ecuador might be better at this point.

It stinks that Miami is so far out of playoff contention that they virtually have no chance. They almost have no chance. They are on 18 points and would probably need around 45, so that's 27 points or 9 wins in their last 12. Hoping they can get out of their Leagues Cup group with Cruz Azul and St. Louis and make a run.

What do you do with Messi tonight? He's in early pre-season mode. Beckham came on in the 70th minute 16 years ago to the day. I think Messi needs to start and then sub him off whenever he hits his minute limit even if its 20-30 minutes.

Edit: he's not starting. I dont like that. Miami sucks and will be down 2-0 or 3-0 when he gets put in.

And yet in the real world, Miami wins 2-1 on a late stoppage time goal off a free kick by guess who.

Seems like they played it exactly right.

Cruz Azul was so much better in the 1st Half but were down 1-0. When Messi and Busquets came on, the game was pretty even but CA still had the better chances. Miami wins even though they were outplayed. That's soccer.

BTW, Messi is going to be ridiculous in MLS. Cruz Azul is better than any MLS team and I only remember one time that Messi was dispossessed.

Was there ever any doubt that Messi would make that FK? About 90% of the time, he goes for the upper right corner from that spot, but I knew he would go for the upper left because he saw CA put their bigger guys on the right side of the wall and the GK cheating that way. So, they obviously expected him to go for the right corner too.

He doesn’t miss anything that goes on on the pitch. Ever.

That early through ball he played to
Martinez is almost always a goal in La Liga. But, it took so long for Martinez to settle it. That was my first glimpse of the skill chasm between MLS and a good European league.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Was there ever any doubt that Messi would make that FK? About 90% of the time, he goes for the upper right corner from that spot, but I knew he would go for the upper left because he saw CA put their bigger guys on the right side of the wall and the GK cheating that way. So, they obviously expected him to go for the right corner too.

He doesn’t miss anything that goes on on the pitch. Ever.

That early through ball he played to
Martinez is almost always a goal in La Liga. But, it took so long for Martinez to settle it. That was my first glimpse of the skill chasm between MLS and a good European league.

Messi is going to have so much time on the ball in MLS vs a lot worse defenders, its going to be scary to see what he does. He only lost the ball 1 time yesterday and completed every pass I believe.

Messi is going to have so much time on the ball in MLS vs a lot worse defenders, its going to be scary to see what he does. He only lost the ball 1 time yesterday and completed every pass I believe.
I think he might get bored if it is too easy. I saw him play Malaga in 2012 I think. He came out at halftime. He had 3 goals and Barca was up 5-0. Writers were surprised he came out and asked if he was injured. He said he was bored and the game wasn’t fun. Later he had to apologize to Malaga, but it was so easy for him that he wasn’t enjoying it. He is such a ferocious competitor that he enjoys a stiff challenge.

1.75 million watched on Univision which is a pretty huge number since its a Spanish language station. Unfortunately, the English language broadcast was pay per view....or pay per half season to be more accurate so only diehards like me watched.

24 minutes into their game against Atlanta tonight and Messi has already scored twice.
Who carries these games? and where does one keep up with things? I checked the ESPN app and didn’t see leagues cup scores/schedules.

Just looked. Miami is 12 points out of a playoff spot after 22 games.

I know nothing about MLS. I don’t know how many games they play, but it seems to be too much of a challenge to get into the playoffs this year.

But if this is the way games are going to be…

Who carries these games? and where does one keep up with things? I checked the ESPN app and didn’t see leagues cup scores/schedules.

I think the Leagues Cup games, which is what tonight's (and last Friday's) game was are mostly on Apple TV. A few are on the Fox Channels, for instance right now Houston versus Santos Laguna is on FS1.

I don’t know how much Apple TV put into the pot to bring Messi to Miami, but it should be a lot.

I already subscribe to Apple TV but not to their MLS package. But, this is what they have showing or available right now:

First, they are advertising their MLS Season Pass as “Messi’s MLS Season” for $39. It is available in Europe and the times listed for upcoming matches are Barcelona time. I assume they have the correct time listed for every subscriber based on their time zone.) The next game starts at 23:35 tonight; then there is one starting at 01:10 Wednesday morning and two more starting at 02:10.

Second, they now are playing 17 different clips about Messi; from replays of his free kick to commentators speculating on his impact to short pieces about his arrival in Miami.

Its confusing (and why wouldnt it be as most Americans cant watch Messi)

I bought the MLS Season Pass for a half season. $49. Money well spent.

You dont need Apple TV for this but MLS Season Pass is acccessed on the Apple TV app. Apparently if you DO have Apple TV but NOT MLS Season Pass, some games are free to you.

Some select games are also free on FS1 but very few.

Its confusing (and why wouldnt it be as most Americans cant watch Messi)

I bought the MLS Season Pass for a half season. $49. Money well spent.

You dont need Apple TV for this but MLS Season Pass is acccessed on the Apple TV app. Apparently if you DO have Apple TV but NOT MLS Season Pass, some games are free to you.

Some select games are also free on FS1 but very few.
But what about the Leagues Cup? I should have been clearer with my question. Same package? Or available elsewhere?

Leagues Cup is on TUDN the
Spanish channel, I saw Messi's 1st game on that.

I have said for years that Miami is the worst sports town in America. They didnt sell out Messi's 2nd game and have about 30% of tickets remaining for tomorrow. Now, tickets are expensive but its the smallest stadium in MLS and its Messi. Miami lost an MLS team once, should lose an NHL team, and barely anyone goes to Marlins, Hurricanes, or Heat (unless they have LeBron).

Great forward matchup tonight. Lionel Messi vs Duncan McGuire, a rookie a few months removed from graduation from Creighton

• Haha
Unbelievable. It’s almost like Lebron playing in the WNBA!! Seriously, at this point it’s not all that different. Lol.

A goal last game and yesterday were embarrassingly bad defending. Just letting him run free past the backline unmarked. ESPN FC made a good point (and they bash the MLS to no end now that they lost the TV rights). MLS teams only spend on offensive players and fill out their roster with defenders. The DP's they bring in are forwards or midfielders. Messi might score 70 goals in the 34 game regular season next year. I am not sure there has ever been such a mismatch in talent in any pro league ever.

A goal last game and yesterday were embarrassingly bad defending. Just letting him run free past the backline unmarked. ESPN FC made a good point (and they bash the MLS to no end now that they lost the TV rights). MLS teams only spend on offensive players and fill out their roster with defenders. The DP's they bring in are forwards or midfielders. Messi might score 70 goals in the 34 game regular season next year. I am not sure there has ever been such a mismatch in talent in any pro league ever.
Does Chiellini still play in MLS?

Does Chiellini still play in MLS?

Yea, he's the only big CB signing I can think of and he's way past his prime. Walker Zimmerman is probably the best CB in the league.

Miami probably needs 26-27 points in its last 12 league games to make the playoffs. It once seemed impossible but an 8-2-2 record seems doable right now.

Yea, he's the only big CB signing I can think of and he's way past his prime. Walker Zimmerman is probably the best CB in the league.

Miami probably needs 26-27 points in its last 12 league games to make the playoffs. It once seemed impossible but an 8-2-2 record seems doable right now.

Winning the Leagues Cup gets them into the CONCACAF Champions Cup next year with a bye, and finishing second or third (or winning the US Open Cup) gets them into the First Round of that tournament. There's also talk of having CONCACAF teams in the Copa Libertadores.

Given how far back they are in the League, maybe they should just prioritize the other two tournaments?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT