ADVERTISEMENT

Messi to Inter Miami, MLS as part owner/player

Hypothetically, I'd wonder how much it would cost the Saudi Royal Family (who bankrolls their league) to buy like the 100 best players in the world and could they afford that? Lets say they paid the 100 best players $100 million/year, that's only a payroll of $10 billion/year which I'd think is pocket change for them.....and of course, you'd make some of that money back.

It wouldn't be enough simply because some number of those 100 players wouldn't play there for any price. Like I said, lots of athletes would rather be rich in a situation that they are comfortable than really rich in a situation where they are not. Lots of the best soccer players won't even consider playing for someone that doesn't guarantee them a chance to play in the Champions League, and if they go to Saudi Arabia they aren't going to get to do that.

By the way, you might not know this but for Mbappe, signing a $100 million per year contract with the Saudis wouldn't even really be a raise. He isn't going to Saudi Arabia for anywhere close to $100 million per season.

Hypothetically, I'd wonder how much it would cost the Saudi Royal Family (who bankrolls their league) to buy like the 100 best players in the world and could they afford that? Lets say they paid the 100 best players $100 million/year, that's only a payroll of $10 billion/year which I'd think is pocket change for them.....and of course, you'd make some of that money back.
It would be worth it to the Saudi’s. LIV is a loss leader for them. What they are buying is good will and image. PSG, New Castle, and Man City are all part of the strategy coming out of the Arab world.

It wouldn't be enough simply because some number of those 100 players wouldn't play there for any price. Like I said, lots of athletes would rather be rich in a situation that they are comfortable than really rich in a situation where they are not. Lots of the best soccer players won't even consider playing for someone that doesn't guarantee them a chance to play in the Champions League, and if they go to Saudi Arabia they aren't going to get to do that.

By the way, you might not know this but for Mbappe, signing a $100 million per year contract with the Saudis wouldn't even really be a raise. He isn't going to Saudi Arabia for anywhere close to $100 million per season.

Maybe you dont get Mbappe for $100 million/year BUT can they get Players 10-100 for $100 million/year? I bet they could get most of them.

Once again, some of them, absolutely.

All or almost all of them? No way.

The more of players 10-100 that go to Saudi Arabia, the easier the decision becomes for players #24, 35, 48, etc. What I'm saying is the royal family easily has the money to make their league the 2nd or 3rd best in the world. They only have 16 teams. If they got 100 quality players, that would be a top-tier league.

The more of players 10-100 that go to Saudi Arabia, the easier the decision becomes for players #24, 35, 48, etc. What I'm saying is the royal family easily has the money to make their league the 2nd or 3rd best in the world. They only have 16 teams. If they got 100 quality players, that would be a top-tier league.

It is as if you simply cannot fathom that lots of people, including many of the best soccer players in the world, have no interest what so ever in living in Saudi Arabia.

By the way, reports out of Spain are the the Saudi club that signed Ronaldo also tried to sign Luka Modric, but he turned them down to stay at Real. Surely SMF is completely flabbergasted at the development.

In other Saudi news, apparently a Saudi team tried to sign Aaron Long, but he also turned them down because he prefers his other offers from a couple MLS teams, a couple Liga MX teams, and interest from teams in Europe.

By the way, reports out of Spain are the the Saudi club that signed Ronaldo also tried to sign Luka Modric, but he turned them down to stay at Real. Surely SMF is completely flabbergasted at the development.

In other Saudi news, apparently a Saudi team tried to sign Aaron Long, but he also turned them down because he prefers his other offers from a couple MLS teams, a couple Liga MX teams, and interest from teams in Europe.

How much though? Would Modric turn down $75 million/year? Would Long turn down $15 million/year? You realize I am saying they would have to WAY overpay due to the low quality of the league and the fact that Westerners dont want to live there for various reasons. Pulisic isnt happy at Chelsea. Would he turn down $75 million/year?

How much though? Would Modric turn down $75 million/year? Would Long turn down $15 million/year? You realize I am saying they would have to WAY overpay due to the low quality of the league and the fact that Westerners dont want to live there for various reasons. Pulisic isnt happy at Chelsea. Would he turn down $75 million/year?

Like I said, flabbergasted!

I have no idea. Neither do you.

The difference is that I have no problem saying that I have no idea. You speculate endlessly and treat your speculation as if it is somehow fact.

I know for a fact they could get most of the Top 100 players if they way overpaid. Would Pulisic turn down $50 million/year?

I know for a fact they could get most of the Top 100 players if they way overpaid. Would Pulisic turn down $50 million/year?

I have no idea. Neither do you.

The difference is that I have no problem saying that I have no idea. You speculate endlessly and treat your speculation as if it is somehow fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT