Messi to Inter Miami, MLS as part owner/player

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Then maybe the English Manager at Inter Miami can win some matches for once. You’d think, just by being English alone, he’d be able to beat the Yanks he manages against. Weird.

Pitt79

Chancellor
Oct 3, 2005
Then maybe the English Manager at Inter Miami can win some matches for once. You’d think, just by being English alone, he’d be able to beat the Yanks he manages against. Weird.
He must be a bad manager, since he's not in Europe :)

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Where's SMF? I thought he'd jump right into this one to say he called it :)
Well to be fair this comes up every year and we’ve discussed it before
as it’s been footballs worst kept secret for a long time.

It’s only a matter of time. Personally though, I don’t see the 35% ownership thing. That seems was too high. The value of that club is going to double in the near term.

there was always rumor of him and Ronaldo playing together. Still can’t see how that happens but if they can, Phil Neville will have gone from managing the English Lady Lions National Team, to a bad team in MLS, to coaching Ronaldo and Messi together.

Reactions: DevilDog42

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Well to be fair this comes up every year and we’ve discussed it before
as it’s been footballs worst kept secret for a long time.

It’s only a matter of time. Personally though, I don’t see the 35% ownership thing. That seems was too high. The value of that club is going to double in the near term.

there was always rumor of him and Ronaldo playing together. Still can’t see how that happens but if they can, Phil Neville will have gone from managing the English Lady Lions National Team, to a bad team in MLS, to coaching Ronaldo and Messi together.
Well, yea, I cant take credit for this. Many people expected Messi and Ronaldo to finish in MLS. I am surprised it took them this long though. With the growth of MLS, I expected them to come over in their early 30s like Beckham.

Feb 25, 2022
Man, I haven’t heard anything about Messi for a long time. Not that I’ve ever been a die-hard Lionel fan (more of a Ronaldo guy), but now it’s kinda extra hard to keep track of his activities. He sure likes to keep a low profile. IMO, he should’ve never left Barcelona, but I’m hardly original in this view.
So far, I have to rely on forums and sites like this Lionel Messi info website to keep myself updated on his games and snatch the best tickets ahead of the crowd.

Last edited:

anon_d97v9o3a8b6xr

Board of Trustee
Aug 3, 2010
What are the guesses on merchandise? Wearing a soccer kit can be fashionable for young hip kids, not us old people. Everyone knows the name Messi and Miami loves their famous athletes. Bringing the worlds best player to Miami and all his tattoos makes him a bigger star than anyone there, and he speaks Spanish. I mean it can’t get any better for a financial gain.

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
It’s looking like Ronaldo will be here sooner, considering no one wants him in Europe these days.

Reactions: mike412

anon_d97v9o3a8b6xr

Board of Trustee
Aug 3, 2010
It’s looking like Ronaldo will be here sooner, considering no one wants him in Europe these days.
Yeah, I think we are seeing a former great player a step slower and a step backwards. Ronaldo is a businessman also. He is highly tuned in to his next phase of life but he just might not be able to know when to hang up the cleats. He’s got talent and time left just not for a team like MU. But pride will keep him away from some levels. Messi seems to be good for some more years and is currently still seen as still one of the best players right now. But boy are there some young players who are very exciting and taking the torch. But nobody can ever duplicate what Ronaldo and Messi have done for the game.

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Yeah, I think we are seeing a former great player a step slower and a step backwards. Ronaldo is a businessman also. He is highly tuned in to his next phase of life but he just might not be able to know when to hang up the cleats. He’s got talent and time left just not for a team like MU. But pride will keep him away from some levels. Messi seems to be good for some more years and is currently still seen as still one of the best players right now. But boy are there some young players who are very exciting and taking the torch. But nobody can ever duplicate what Ronaldo and Messi have done for the game.
Messi and Ronaldo waited too long, especially Ronaldo.

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Heck out the new World Cup commercial (for Fox?). It’s very good. Tom Brady is looking at a Ronaldo highlight and says “isn’t he a little old”? Great festive holiday commercial.

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Heck out the new World Cup commercial (for Fox?). It’s very good. Tom Brady is looking at a Ronaldo highlight and says “isn’t he a little old”? Great festive holiday commercial.
Does Fox News do any promoting for their soccer content? You gotta let me know as the WC gets closer. Those are opposite demographics so I'm curious. Joe Scarborough has the Men In Blazers guy on like once a month

Pitt79

Chancellor
Oct 3, 2005
Does Fox News do any promoting for their soccer content? You gotta let me know as the WC gets closer. Those are opposite demographics so I'm curious. Joe Scarborough has the Men In Blazers guy on like once a month
I don't know about that, there's plenty of conservative soccer parents these days, not every parent following these club teams and high school teams is a WOKE Liberal.

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I don't know about that, there's plenty of conservative soccer parents these days, not every parent following these club teams and high school teams is a WOKE Liberal.
I didn't say that. But in terms of Fox News is viewership, its very very old, very white so its a pretty terrible soccer demographic. I would wonder if they would have like Alexi Lalas come on the morning show and preview that day's WC matches.

Pitt79

Chancellor
Oct 3, 2005
Very white? Are white people less into soccer? I don't see that.

But FSN their sports channel does broadcast soccer, so maybe they will?

brdst11

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2002
I went to see Messi and Argentina last week in New Jersey, figuring it was my last realistic chance to see him play for Argentina. He was sick so he didn't start but the crowd was hyped up just to see him warmup pregame.

They put him in during the second half and he had two goals, including a free kick, near the end of the game. Crowd loved it.

I hope he does play in MLS soon but I think he could delay that by a few years and still be something special.

He has said he wants to play for his hometown club but my understanding is that the crime situation in Rosario makes that unlikely. Maybe a friendly or something.

mike412

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Cruyff still is my favorite player ever, but I think Messi is the best player ever. Both he and CR7 stay in fantastic shape, but you can’t outrun time, and I think both have slowed down dramatically. That impacts CR7’s game more because he always relied more on his speed. CR7 never was renowned for his passing, unlike Messi.

As brilliant a player as he has been, I also think Messi made the worst mistake he could have made when he was 18 and chose to play for Argentina over Spain. He has lived in Barcelona since he was 13 and could have chosen to play for the Spanish National Team. Back in 2008, the one thing Spain lacked was a devastating scorer. They had Fernando Torres and David Villa (in 2012) but that was really it as far as forwards go. I mean Pedro Rodriguez started up front for Spain in 2012 and 2016.

Besides winning in 2012, I could see Spain winning perhaps two more Cups with Messi. That is the one blot many people say tarnishes his resume: that he has never led Argentina to a World Cup. My word, without him Argentina might not have qualified for a World Cup after Maradona retired.

I don’t see him going to Miami unless it is for the benefit of his kids’ schooling. I know he and Pep still are close and Pep thinks the two years he spent in NYC were very important for him and his family. Despite living in Catalonia for 21 years, Messi’s Catalan is rudimentary. His English is basically non-existent whereas Pep’s was almost fluent before NYC. I don’t think Messi would be very comfortable in Miami although it is the American big city where his Spanish would be most at home.

Both his family and his wife’s family now are all settled in Barcelona, so I don’t think the returning for a year to play in Rosario before retiring will happen either. I think the most likely scenario is a return to Barcelona for a final year or two. I then think he will coach. He doesn’t seem like the type to enjoy retiring early.

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Cruyff still is my favorite player ever, but I think Messi is the best player ever. Both he and CR7 stay in fantastic shape, but you can’t outrun time, and I think both have slowed down dramatically. That impacts CR7’s game more because he always relied more on his speed. CR7 never was renowned for his passing, unlike Messi.

As brilliant a player as he has been, I also think Messi made the worst mistake he could have made when he was 18 and chose to play for Argentina over Spain. He has lived in Barcelona since he was 13 and could have chosen to play for the Spanish National Team. Back in 2008, the one thing Spain lacked was a devastating scorer. They had Fernando Torres and David Villa (in 2012) but that was really it as far as forwards go. I mean Pedro Rodriguez started up front for Spain in 2012 and 2016.

Besides winning in 2012, I could see Spain winning perhaps two more Cups with Messi. That is the one blot many people say tarnishes his resume: that he has never led Argentina to a World Cup. My word, without him Argentina might not have qualified for a World Cup after Maradona retired.

I don’t see him going to Miami unless it is for the benefit of his kids’ schooling. I know he and Pep still are close and Pep thinks the two years he spent in NYC were very important for him and his family. Despite living in Catalonia for 21 years, Messi’s Catalan is rudimentary. His English is basically non-existent whereas Pep’s was almost fluent before NYC. I don’t think Messi would be very comfortable in Miami although it is the American big city where his Spanish would be most at home.

Both his family and his wife’s family now are all settled in Barcelona, so I don’t think the returning for a year to play in Rosario before retiring will happen either. I think the most likely scenario is a return to Barcelona for a final year or two. I then think he will coach. He doesn’t seem like the type to enjoy retiring early.
What is surprising is the massive drop off in talent in Argentina during the Messi era. Not sure what caused it but for a big, soccer-crazed country, you would have thought they would have developed more soccer players

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I didn't say that. But in terms of Fox News is viewership, its very very old, very white so its a pretty terrible soccer demographic. I would wonder if they would have like Alexi Lalas come on the morning show and preview that day's WC matches.
I don’t watch Fox very often. It’s sometimes on in the AM (Fox and Friends) when my wife is getting ready for work and I’ve never seen soccer promotion there. But I’ll guarantee they do when we get closer to World Cup. Brian Kilmeade, one of the F&F hosts, is a big soccer guy. His daughters played club on a Long Island team and one is playing in college now. So he’s been a sideline soccer dad like some of us for a long time.

sometimes The Five is on when I get home, and that’s pretty good.

Oct 19, 2022
Man, I haven’t heard anything about Messi for a long time even in madfut 21 mod. Not that I’ve ever been a die-hard Lionel fan (more of a Ronaldo guy), but now it’s kinda extra hard to keep track of his activities. He sure likes to keep a low profile. IMO, he should’ve never left Barcelona, but I’m hardly original in this view.

Last edited:

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I don’t think so. Messi is in advanced talks as part owner of Inter Miami and might be here next summer. And of course no one wants Ronaldo so he could be here sooner.

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
I don’t think so. Messi is in advanced talks as part owner of Inter Miami and might be here next summer. And of course no one wants Ronaldo so he could be here sooner.

It's going to be interesting to see where Ronaldo ends up in January, because surely he has to go somewhere, right?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
He was being a little bit of a bitch. I guess he realizes his value is declining rapidly. The guy has so many investments and other financial opportunities building, he needs to go out on a high note to seal his legacy and advance his next role.
Well his legacy will be aided by scoring a few more Champions League goals and making a run. I just don’t know where that happens. I have no idea what New Castle’s situation is, but I think they have a better than fair chance at finishing top 4, and what better way to make a splash into Euro play and grow your brand than signing CR?